Long hair and the job search!

porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
Hi folks!

I'm finishing up with my Master's in May--Lord-willing--and I'm working on getting job app materials together (I plan to teach high school). I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair before going on interviews. My hair is the longest it has ever been (well past BSL in the back) and is very healthy and happy thanks to my mod-CG routine. However, I haven't really had it cut in at least a year because that would require both time and money, neither of which I have as a grad student on a tight budget. But I'm trying to determine if my hair is professional enough for job interviews. I kind of like the wild, cascading waves, but I wonder if it makes me look too young or unkempt. So here are my questions:

1. Should I consider a trim/cut to change the style or length? If so, what style suggestions do you have?
2. Should I keep the length/cut but try to style it a little differently for work? Maybe pull it away from my face?
3. Should I leave it the way it is and be freeeee?

Thanks in advance everyone!
:batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner
: Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
Styling
: Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    A french twist or low bun (not messy) is always appropriate for a job interview or work. You don't have to cut your hair or have it short to be professional.
  • aislinaislin ILRegistered Users Posts: 864
    Speckla wrote: »
    A french twist or low bun (not messy) is always appropriate for a job interview or work. You don't have to cut your hair or have it short to be professional.

Exactly this.

I was also thinking a bun for interviews may be a good route, or clipping it up. I mean, if you need a trim, by all means get the ends cleaned up or something. But it shouldn't be prospective employment that would make that necessary.

What's with people thinking women with long hair (especially with older women for some reason?) isn't professional or immature looking? I've never got that. There's always 50 billion styles for long hair to look great and professional with it makes no sense to me! :tongue5:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file