transitioning styles help

DanyeleDanyele Registered Users Posts: 53
I'm not sure what hairstyles to do. I am transitioning but a lot of the hairstyles I am seeing are for people who are already natural. I would prefer not to put any weave in my hair so kinky twists are out of the question. I would like to work with my own hair.

says the two strand twists are good for transitioning but i don't see how to do it when my ends are so straight.

Any tips and other hair styles?
Rocking a TWA!
Hair Type: 4a, I think
Still working on my hair regimen
Clarifying: Giovanni 50-50
Co-Wash: Tresemme Remoisturize Conditioner
DC: MyHoneyChild Honey Hair Mask
LI: KCKT/Mixed Silk
Moisturizer: Water, now trying Qhemet BRBC
Sealing: Jojoba oil, shea butter or burnt sugar pomade
Styling: EcoStyler

event.png

Comments

• geminichicgeminichic Registered Users Posts: 3
    You should try doing braid outs and bantu knots. That's what I'll be doing while transitioning, but mostly bantu knots, because I can't braid at a great speed.
  • SweetZcurlZSweetZcurlZ Registered Users Posts: 20
    You can still try twist outs, Just put rollers on the ends, I've been transitioning for 13mos and as the new growth gets longer protective styles need adjusting, braid updos, bantu knots, twist outs, flat twist outs. Right now I just bun, eventually this style has been the most simple and easiest to do, It can get boring so sometimes, I flat twist the front, do a braided hairband, or add headband to add style to the bun..but you still have the ability to pratice natural hair protective style techinques.
    Poo:Komaza Califia
    DC: Honey, Coconut oil, and Condish
    Leave in:Komaza Califa
    Sealant: Komaza Moku butter
    Condish:Trader's Joe Tree Tingle, YTC
    Protective stlyes:Flat twist out, Buns, Braid Out Updos
    Treatments: Protein, Henna
    Current length: SL
    Hair goal: Healthy full Hair but Length would nice
    Transitioning Since: Dec 25 2009
    BC?!?!?!?!? I dunno Maybe never
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/MonnyD/
  • virgo76virgo76 Registered Users Posts: 45
    When I was transitioning I did a lot of buns and braid-outs. When I did braid-outs, I braided my hair then curled the ends with flexi-rods.
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:
  • KoolKittyKoolKitty Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi. I had the exact same question to ask. I have actually transitioned from my relaxer a few years ago. I have no relaxed ends but I do have straight ends. I've been told that it is because I got my hair blow dried and flat ironed to often. I used to get it done about every two to three weeks when I began my transition. That was at least 5-6 years ago. I am going to try to transition one more time with limited to no heat to see if I can transition fully. I am so bad at doing my own hair and I don't know what to do with it without the flat iron or a sew-in. I will try the suggestion given and see what happens. I hope things work out for you!
  • NewlyNaturedNewlyNatured Registered Users Posts: 7
    Okay, Im just like KoolKitty! I am 9 months into transitioning and I cannot stop straightening my hair. I just honestly do not know how to braid or any of that stuff. And when I wash my hair, I get so overwhelmed with all of the curls/new growth that I just want to hurry up and take my straight iron to it!
    I am trying to ween myself off of the flatiron & learning new things to do with my hair. I would rod set my hair, but when I put any type of curls like that in my head I look like a 5 year old =( Ugh. I just dont know what to do!
  • DanyeleDanyele Registered Users Posts: 53
    thanks everybody! it helped a lot!! I think i'll do the two strand twists with bantu knots!! Because my hair always unravels when i just try to do the two strand twists without the bantu knots.
    Rocking a TWA!

event.png
    Okay, Im just like KoolKitty! I am 9 months into transitioning and I cannot stop straightening my hair. I just honestly do not know how to braid or any of that stuff. And when I wash my hair, I get so overwhelmed with all of the curls/new growth that I just want to hurry up and take my straight iron to it!
    I am trying to ween myself off of the flatiron & learning new things to do with my hair. I would rod set my hair, but when I put any type of curls like that in my head I look like a 5 year old =( Ugh. I just dont know what to do!

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND!! WHEN I TRIED TO TRANSITION THE FIRST TIME ALL I DID WAS FLAT IRON IT! But now I can't stand to see my hair straight so my flat irons and hot comb are in the closet somewhere!

It's hard to ween off the flat iron! But you can do it!!
    Rocking a TWA!

event.png
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Registered Users Posts: 148
    I would also recommend braidouts as a transitioning style. I did these all the time during my transition. It especially helps to blend the two textures.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • naturallyunaturallyu Registered Users Posts: 7
    Rollersets or rodsets are very good options too. I can get a rodset to last for a week. It is a good alternative to using heat and the textures blend nicely. I have been transitioning for two years and I started off alternating between rollersetting and bantu knot outs. Further along in my transition I was able to do two strands because a lot of my straight ends were trimmed out. HTH
    naturallyu wrote: »
    Rollersets or rodsets are very good options too. I can get a rodset to last for a week. It is a good alternative to using heat and the textures blend nicely. I have been transitioning for two years and I started off alternating between rollersetting and bantu knot outs. Further along in my transition I was able to do two strands because a lot of my straight ends were trimmed out. HTH

thank you very much this did help! =D
    Rocking a TWA!

event.png