Greasy hair, itchy dry scalp?

Eden1071Eden1071 Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi, I started CG about 1 month ago, and it was going fine but then my scalp started getting itchy/dry/ flaky and my hair looks greasy.

I am using Suave coconut natural as a co-wash and garnier triple nutrition as the other conditioner.

I have used the brown sugar scrub several times which helps a little with the itch for that day.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Your scalp could be sensitive to an ingredient in the conditioner. I am no expert on that subject (currently trying to figure out my own newly-discovered sensitive scalp!), but you might want to try getting a new CO-washing conditioner and experimenting with a few to see which ones don't react with your scalp. I know VO5 conditioners are full of chemicals, so I would stay away from those, but you might want to try more natural products.

I am not sure this is the formula you have (since they changed it really recently), but the ingredients should be somewhat similar.

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol,Trocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate], Silk Amino Acids, Honey, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract

The ones highlighted in bold could be causing you problems. Some people are sensitive to fragrances in their products, some are glycerin and protein sensitive, and Propylene Glycol could be causing the itch, too.

Also, I started a thread on this topic recently, and I got lots of great answers and recommendations. Here's the link:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/119724-greasy-dry-scalp-possible.html

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Eden1071Eden1071 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thank you for the reply! Yes, I did go take a visit to the organic aisle and pick out some new prducts and it seems to be helping quite a bit :) But I have to no poo twice a week in order to help clean my hair and I think I may be sensitive to that.. So I might have to do a bit of research :) Do you use a sulfate free shampoo that seems to be good?

thanks again
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    I suggest trying out cleansing conditioners instead of low-poos :) Daily Fix is wonderful it cleans my scalp but conditions at the same time :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file