why would a kid with a food allergy need an IEP?

subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
i was on another website and a mother posted a thread titled "school and food allergies? please discuss your experiences and how you have changed your schools outlook about children with food allergies." and this was her post:

My food allergic child is in Kindergarten. It's been an interesting year. The good thing is we have had no food reactions. The bad thing is the kids eat lunch in the class room and as my child is allergic to milk, he is exposed daily to milk. Kindergarteners are messy and there is milk every where. I have an appointment with his allergist to discuss the issues at hand. Has anyone ever initaited a IEP/ section 504 plan?

i gave my response, but i'm wondering if i wasn't a bit insensitive since i don't understand why a child with a food allergy would need an IEP or a section 504 plan.

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    The child would be eligible for an IEP if the food allergy was negatively impacting her academic performance. I would imagine this would be a stretch and most districts wouldn't buy it. A note from the physician and some kind of plan with the health office is probably the way to go.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    he is not eligible for an IEP unless there are other issues (speech delays, OT or PT)...he is eligible for a 504 plan.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    what could a 504 plan do other than say something like "children will be reminded to wash hands after lunch" or "johnny will eat lunch at a different table"?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oy...

Your tax dollars at work...
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    what could a 504 plan do other than say something like "children will be reminded to wash hands after lunch" or "johnny will eat lunch at a different table"?

The 504 plan will alert his teachers and relevant staff in an official way that the child has a known allergy. This is needed I believe if the student may need an epi pen to mitigate any adverse reactions. It will also allow the teacher to have a "milk free zone" if he/she noticed that there were a number of children with the same allergy or have them eat together (happens a lot with nut allergies). It will also let the relevant staff know reactions and what actions should be taken if exposed etc. It also serves as official notice that all staff are aware (or should be) of the allergy so if something happens, the teacher can't be like "oh, I didn't know that" or something. It's the same thing that a child with asthma or diabetes would have.

A 504 plan is very relevant in instance of allergies as some allergies can be life threatening and staff should be aware of them. They are also binding in many states like IEP's and what is in there must be followed.

Now, I'm not sure how allergic to milk this kid is. If it's simple lactose intolerance it should be noted in his records but a messy cafeteria shouldn't be too much of a concern. Regardless the lady should talk to the school nurse.
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    The 504 plan will alert his teachers and relevant staff in an official way that the child has a known allergy. This is needed I believe if the student may need an epi pen to mitigate any adverse reactions. It will also allow the teacher to have a "milk free zone" if he/she noticed that there were a number of children with the same allergy or have them eat together (happens a lot with nut allergies). It will also let the relevant staff know reactions and what actions should be taken if exposed etc. It also serves as official notice that all staff are aware (or should be) of the allergy so if something happens, the teacher can't be like "oh, I didn't know that" or something. It's the same thing that a child with asthma or diabetes would have.

A 504 plan is very relevant in instance of allergies as some allergies can be life threatening and staff should be aware of them. They are also binding in many states like IEP's and what is in there must be followed.

Now, I'm not sure how allergic to milk this kid is. If it's simple lactose intolerance it should be noted in his records but a messy cafeteria shouldn't be too much of a concern. Regardless the lady should talk to the school nurse.

do you think a child with a life threatening allergy needs a 504 plan even if the school is receptive to their needs? my daughter has life threatening food allergies as well as asthma, but i haven't had any issue with her teachers. she has an epi pen, an anaphylaxis action plan, and an inhaler that they give her before recess. the teachers voluntarily have limited the daily snack provided to fresh fruits only. so as far as i'm concerned, they've met my expectations and then some.

most times parents of other kids with food allergies annoy me with their requests and demands and i have a kid with life threatening food allergies...but i won't even start on that.
    No, the child wouldn't necessarily need a 504 plan. They are intended to ensure that children with such chronic medical problems/disabilities are accommodated in the classroom to ensure that they aren't excluded from things. If your teachers are welcoming with it and it's not impacting your child's schooling, then it's not a problem. I don't think her child would qualify since it just seems to be at lunch which should not seriously impact his opportunity to learn, but it's up to the school to decide that.

I know that if a school does not provide what is spelled out in an IEP then they are subject to litigation. It is legally binding. I think the same applies for a 504.

Say your daughter was on 504 for her asthma, the teacher would then be required to accommodate her when needed, legally, not just because she/he is an understanding person and good teacher.

That being said, that person should probably discuss things with the teacher before seeking out a 504.
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    KookyCurl wrote: »

do you think a child with a life threatening allergy needs a 504 plan even if the school is receptive to their needs? my daughter has life threatening food allergies as well as asthma, but i haven't had any issue with her teachers. she has an epi pen, an anaphylaxis action plan, and an inhaler that they give her before recess. the teachers voluntarily have limited the daily snack provided to fresh fruits only. so as far as i'm concerned, they've met my expectations and then some.

most times parents of other kids with food allergies annoy me with their requests and demands and i have a kid with life threatening food allergies...but i won't even start on that.

I think you need to have a 504 plan for her.
    is there a particluar reason why?

i just looked up a sample 504 plan and it looks like we (both the school, her allergist, and myself) have all of that information addressed and covered and available to the teachers. there are 3 teachers for 20 students and the preschool is on a different campus than the other grades. so, it definitely may be something i consider once she moves to kindergarten and on a bigger campus interacting with more than just 3 teachers and 19 other kids.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think you need a 504 plan. Only if you want to. At my school we had a student with a life-threatening heart condition who wasn't on a plan. Everyone was aware of his condition and took the necessary steps.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    is there a particluar reason why?

i just looked up a sample 504 plan and it looks like we (both the school, her allergist, and myself) have all of that information addressed and covered and available to the teachers. there are 3 teachers for 20 students and the preschool is on a different campus than the other grades. so, it definitely may be something i consider once she moves to kindergarten and on a bigger campus interacting with more than just 3 teachers and 19 other kids.

I think in a larger school setting it's a good thing. That way if you encounter a teacher with a more cavalier attitude toward such things you'll have a mandate to back you up. Unfortunately sometimes it does happen. Teachers are required by law to adhere to the 504. It also helps the school nurse identify students with severe allergies better when they have a school with a few hundred kids to oversee and have a history in place when she moves into multi-teacher situations.
    she goes to a small private school. from pre-k to 12th grade there are less than 300 students and 3 campuses. if she went to/ends up at a traditional public school there is no doubt in my mind that i would be singing a different tune.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    My goddaughter has severe asthma. On her 504 plan, which she didn't need till high school, there were things such:

Classes on the same floor as often as possible
    Every third period was open so she could rest
    Classes in rooms with a whiteboard when possible; if not, she sat as far away from the chalkboard as possible

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file