CurlTalk

What was a popular family show 10 years ago?

sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
I'm looking for names of the most popular TV shows in the US. Something that was popular 10-12 years ago, something that everyone watched and people still know about. The same way everyone now knows about Oprah Winfrey's show, or Gossip Girl, or Friends etc, except it would be a family show.I'm not sure what family shows are considered, but whatever that is, that was popular 10 years ago, that's the type I'm looking for...The type that every family would be tuned in to watch after dinner. I'm looking for the names of those shows...

Disclaimer: Just in case someone wants to mention that I ask for advice here and then insult the board, I wanted to say that if my previous thread was insulting, I still feel the same way, except now more strongly and with less questioning and more certainity. So I guess just don't respond if you feel the personal attack.

Comments

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users
    I liked "The Nanny" and still watch the reruns on the weekend. I find myself laughing outloud and I'm by myself. The 1st show was on tv in 1999. Not sure if this is what you mean by "family show".
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Home Improvement maybe? Or 7th Heaven...

those might be too far back though, I'm not sure lol

I also liked Dawsons Creek, but that was more Teenage Drama than family show
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    10 years ago would definitely be Friends. More like 15 years ago or so, would be Home Improvement, Family Matters (Steve Urkel!!) Seinfeld, Cosby.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    nm
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    The only ones I can think of (and I know not all of these are "family" shows) are:

Friends
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    King of Queens
    The Simpsons
    Sex & the City
    Angel
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    That 70s Show
    Dawson's Creek
    7th Heaven
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    I liked "The Nanny" and still watch the reruns on the weekend. I find myself laughing outloud and I'm by myself. The 1st show was on tv in 1999. Not sure if this is what you mean by "family show".

Are you saying that "The Nanny" premiered in 1999?
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Um...well. I dunno. I haven't watched much tv since about 1996.
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 962Registered Users
    I loved Boy Meets World.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    My favorite show was "Life Goes On".. I knew every episode of that show backwards and forwards...

I think it was a bit more than 10 years ago though

D
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Sabrina the teenage witch?
    My wife & kids
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    7th Heaven!!!
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users
    Moesha!

And omigoodness, Sister Sister!!

(although that was more late 90s)
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Candid Camera was really big for family watching. It went off the airwaves in 2004.

America's Funniest Home Videos was big throughout the 90s too. It's still going.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    nm
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Here's what I found:
    Top 20 Most-Watched TV Programs in 2000-01
    Show (Network), Total Viewers
    1. Survivor: The Australian Outback (CBS) 29.8 million
    2. ER (NBC) 22.4
    3. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Wednesdays (ABC) 20.1
    4. Friends (NBC), NBC, 19.7
    5. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Sundays (ABC) 19.4
    6. Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS) 19.1
    7. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Tuesday (ABC) 18.8
    8. NFL Monday Night Football (ABC) 18.5
    9. The Practice (ABC) 18.3
    10. CSI (CBS) 17.8
    11. Law & Order (NBC) 17.7
    12. Will & Grace (NBC) 17.3
    13. The West Wing (NBC) 17.0
    14. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Thursday (ABC) 17.0
    15. Temptation Island (Fox) 16.6
    16. Becker (CBS) 16.1
    17. Frasier (NBC) 15.9
    18. 60 Minutes (CBS) 15.8
    19. Just Shoot Me (NBC) 15.6
    20. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Friday (ABC) 15.4
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Reality tv shows.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    FieryCurls wrote: »

My mistake. It premiered in 1993 and was cancelled in 1999. My googling skills are diminishing along with my body and brain. :-(
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    FieryCurls wrote: »

My mistake. It premiered in 1993 and was cancelled in 1999. My googling skills are diminishing along with my body and brain. :-(

That's what I thought you meant, but just made a mistake. The clothes are definitely early '90s.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    Hope you don't mind if I guano the thread a bit, but my son in law's cousin wrote for "Seinfeld" and "The Simpsons". She is currently writing for "The Old Christine." I talked to her on the phone a couple of weeks ago and she is a hoot. Very funny personality. I look forward to meeting her and her family. They live in California and will be visiting soon.
    From Michael Berg:

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote: »
    Here's what I found:
    Top 20 Most-Watched TV Programs in 2000-01
    Show (Network), Total Viewers
    1. Survivor: The Australian Outback (CBS) 29.8 million
    2. ER (NBC) 22.4
    3. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Wednesdays (ABC) 20.1
    4. Friends (NBC), NBC, 19.7
    5. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Sundays (ABC) 19.4
    6. Everybody Loves Raymond (CBS) 19.1
    7. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Tuesday (ABC) 18.8
    8. NFL Monday Night Football (ABC) 18.5
    9. The Practice (ABC) 18.3
    10. CSI (CBS) 17.8
    11. Law & Order (NBC) 17.7
    12. Will & Grace (NBC) 17.3
    13. The West Wing (NBC) 17.0
    14. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Thursday (ABC) 17.0
    15. Temptation Island (Fox) 16.6
    16. Becker (CBS) 16.1
    17. Frasier (NBC) 15.9
    18. 60 Minutes (CBS) 15.8
    19. Just Shoot Me (NBC) 15.6
    20. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Friday (ABC) 15.4

:glasses9:WhoMe...awesome as always...gettin' the job done! [/thread]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    The West Wing was the only show I never missed.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • beanjellybeanjelly Posts: 135Registered Users
    ER. Man, I love that show. I know it got pretty ridiculous there for a few seasons, but overall it was just so amazing. LOVE IT. I wish Netflix would put the episodes on the instant play option...I'd never leave the house!!
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd go with Everybody Loves Raymond if you're looking for a quick "family show" reference. It was huge for a long time.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    Hope you don't mind if I guano the thread a bit, but my son in law's cousin wrote for "Seinfeld" and "The Simpsons". She is currently writing for "The Old Christine." I talked to her on the phone a couple of weeks ago and she is a hoot. Very funny personality. I look forward to meeting her and her family. They live in California and will be visiting soon.
    I think that show went off the air last year.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    The New Adventures of Old Christine. I like that show. Yeah, canceled. My fan-ship is usually the kiss of death for a series. :dontknow:

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
    Those are great, thanks!
  • sorrycharliesorrycharlie Posts: 4Registered Users
    Married with Children! :D
    I have just one hair in the middle of my head....but it's curly!:bom:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I think that show went off the air last year.

I was all excited for a sec that it might be back :(
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn