CurlTalk

Crochet question "3 st dec"????

Can anyone explain this stitch to me?

I had gone to the library to print off several versions of a ripple afghan, only to find that somehow this one is the only pattern that printed.

The other patterns had listed this stitch as a totally different name--which I cannot remember--and I'm sick of trying to search for them. I refuse to brave the cold to trek out to the library again.

Easy Ripple Afghan - Free Crochet Pattern - Handcrafting With Love

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Dec = decrease
    st= Stitch

you are basically making 3 stitches in one crochet to create a peak and then skipping 3 to make a valley

so its downhill 6 stitches, skip 3 to make a valley, 6 stitches uphill, 3 in one dc to make a peak, downhill 6 stitches....

I hope I said that correctly. It's been some time since my last ripple
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    After doing it over and over again, then seeing a breakdown and some visuals on somebody's blog, I FINALLYYYYYY got it....

Yarn over, go into stitch and yarn over, yarn over again & pull through 2 loops, leaving 2 on hook.

Yarn over, go into next stitch and yarn over, yarn over again and pull through 2 loops, leaving 3 on hook.

Yarn over, go into next stitch and yarn over, yarn over again and pull through 2 loops, leaving 4 on hook.

Yarn over and pull through all 4 of these loops.

....good grief! The pattern I linked (the one I'm working from) has it written in a way that's really hard for me to understand, and I am NOT a beginner crocheter...

It's coming along nicely now. I've got the stitch down pat. Thanks~!!!
  • Gay.CrowellGay.Crowell Posts: 1Registered Users
    Sinistral55, thank you soooo much. Finally a clear and concise instruction.