When to start?

kristie911kristie911 Posts: 154Registered Users
I have a 3 1/2 month old daughter who was born with a head full of hair...when it's wet and shortly after her bath, her hair is obviously curly...but by the next day, it's pretty much straight. I think it's because it's so fine right now. If it's anything like mine, it will be nice and thick by the time she's a year or so.

Is it too early to worry about CG or should I start now? I no poo but I don't think that's quite appropriate for her at her age and her hair tends to get greasy after a couple of days since I don't bathe her every day. What kind of products do you all use on your little ones? It needs to be something very gentle and I'm not interested in using any product right now...just shampoo.

th_100_1768.jpg?t=1294841331
3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you did not say what you are using. i am a grandmother and my daughter and i think my daughter-in-law use that johnson's baby care --- sounds great, but not really. when i read the label i saw TWO sulfates right at the top!! so i did some research and there is a lot of washes (for both body and hair) that are sulfate free. not only is this stuff drying out their hair, it is drying out their tiny bodies!!
    wholefoods has an entire area devoted to baby washes/shampoos. some of them are the all in one, others are separate. the ingredients look safe for babies. by the way, all my granddaughters are babies.
    i bought two to start for my twin granddaughters, who are 9 months old, and i cannot remember the names of them right now as my daughter has them. the very first bath/shampoo with one of these washes and it looked like they had a perm! they have that very soft, very fine, very little baby hair, but you could immediately see a difference. and it was good on their bodies too.
    so check out the items for babies. i think it is never too early, AND, why would anyone subject an infant to all those drying, harsh sulfates? (and, yes, i know that is what they use in the hospitals.... it does not mean the others are bad, just that this is the cheapest.).
    don't be put off by prices of some items you see here. when i was in wholefoods i found many that were reasonably priced.
    and, honestly, no reason to use the same wash for both. you can use one of the cg baby shampoos and a gentle wash or soap for their body, might be even cheaper.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • kristie911kristie911 Posts: 154Registered Users
    I'm just using the Johnson's Lavender on her body but I saw right away there were sulfates in it, so I don't use it on her hair at all.

Right now I have Shaklee Organic body wash for babies but I hate the smell. And I got it as a gift and have no clue where to get it again.

I guess I'll just have to keep shopping around...we don't have anyplace around here like WholeFoods but I might be able to find a health food store.

Thanks!
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    why my daughter was in infant her hair would so a similar thing--when wet it would curl (it looked like your avatar pic) and the second it dried, it was stick straight.

she was a grease ball at first and sometimes i had to shampoo her hair twice a day because of it. she was/is allergic to johnson and johnson's products so i shampooed her hair with burt's bees baby shampoo bar. i loved it so much because it was CG friendly, tear free, and it's sooooooo much easier shampooing an infant with a shampoo bar than a liquid shampoo.
    A lot of stores in my area carry Burt's Bees so I'm going to look for the shampoo bar!! What a great idea...thanks so much!

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i first got the shampoo bar in their baby sampler bag and i honestly used every single product in there and repurchased after i used them up.
    I stopped at the health food store in town and picked up the Burt's Bee's baby shampoo and wash (it's a combo). I used it last night and her hair was SO CURLY afterwards! It even stayed curly through the night and was still wavy this morning. And it smells awesome! Thanks for the recommendation...I'm hooked. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file