to cut relaxed ends off

holly8holly8 Registered Users Posts: 632
did anybody did their own BC knowing where the natural hair ends? its hard to see mines after it drys but when i put my curl activator in my hair i could see the difference,and it look like i have 3-4 inches of relaxed hair and 3-4 inches of natural hair,is it the best way to use to cut my hair in aug?,it would be 2 years since my perm.
i have to options to get rid of my relaxed hair:
1) plan is to trim my hair every 3 months(cut off 1/2 inch or 1 inch),then have the rest of my relaxed ends cut off completly in august.

2) plan is to trim 1 inch of my hair every 3 months to be 100% natural by the end of august.i read from another site that a girl did the same thing and she became 100% natural at the end of the year.

i can`t stand to deal with my relaxed hair,its making me sad,but i`m don`t want to do the BC now.
Natural since Jan 2,07
I did a BC
Hair type:3C\3B
Multi-racial hair
Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:

Comments

• johnniegirljohnniegirl Registered Users Posts: 8
    holly8 wrote:
    did anybody did their own BC knowing where the natural hair ends? its hard to see mines after it drys but when i put my curl activator in my hair i could see the difference,and it look like i have 3-4 inches of relaxed hair and 3-4 inches of natural hair,is it the best way to use to cut my hair in aug?,it would be 2 years since my perm.
    i have to options to get rid of my relaxed hair:
    1) plan is to trim my hair every 3 months(cut off 1/2 inch or 1 inch),then have the rest of my relaxed ends cut off completly in august.

2) plan is to trim 1 inch of my hair every 3 months to be 100% natural by the end of august.i read from another site that a girl did the same thing and she became 100% natural at the end of the year.

i can`t stand to deal with my relaxed hair,its making me sad,but i`m don`t want to do the BC now.

i just did my own bc on 12/9... actually, my mom did it for me... i strongly recommend you get someone else to cut it for you since it's practically impossible to give yourself a decent cut... i wanted to get mine professionally cut but couldnt find a stylist in time... i very glad i let my mom do it because she was way more conservative in her cutting than any stylist would have been...

i had been growing my hair out for one year (to the day!)... i washed my hair and pulled it back... we didnt cut it until a few hours later because we had errands to run so it was semi-dry when she cut it... she cut the first four inches then she started having trouble telling the difference between the relaxed and the natural hair... i hoped in the shower and washed it and it was much easier for her to tell... once she got the major chunks of relaxed hair out she went about evening things out a bit and cut more precisely... she still missed a few 3/4" pieces on random curls but the would only become evident with each wash... each time i wash my hair my curl pattern becomes clearer so the relaxed bits are more noticeable... i kept a pair of scissors in the bathroom so that i could snip the ones framing my face... my sister snipped the last little pieces for my just last night (she got the ones on the back of my head)...

as fas as my maintenance before my BC, i wore my hair in straight styles for the first 3-4 months then got a trim... i switched to having my mom braid my hair back then wearing it loose for the next two months or so then got another trim... for the last six months before my BC i completely protected my hair and maximized my style by getting faux pony tails that matched the texture of my natural hair (my afro puff was my favorite)... i didnt do any trims in the last six months... my hair is about 7 inches stretched and shrinks to the cutest lil curly fro when dry

hope this helps...
    newly natural!!! BC - 12/9/2006
  • holly8holly8 Registered Users Posts: 632
    hi , after you did the BC your hair became 7 inches strecthed the same day? or was it like that before you relaxed your hair? thanks for the tip ,now i won`t have to worried if relaxed ends are left back.I`m not sure if i could trust family members to cut my hair,i don`t even let them to trim my hair too.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

holly8 wrote:
    hi , after you did the BC your hair became 7 inches strecthed the same day? or was it like that before you relaxed your hair? thanks for the tip ,now i won`t have to worried if relaxed ends are left back.I`m not sure if i could trust family members to cut my hair,i don`t even let them to trim my hair too.

i had been growing it out for a year so i had about 7" of "new growth"... when i washed it the first time after the cut, the curls werent as defined... after a few days of using a more curl friendly routine (shake and go) and more curl-enhancing products the curls became much more defined... i now have a cute little curly fro with corkscrew curls a little smaller than the size of a no. 2 pencil when dry... it stretches to about 7"... i havent tried a straight style since i cut it so im not sure how long it will hang with just a straight style (not just tugging a curl out)

if not family... how about a good friend to do the cut for you? i cant say enough how happy i am a went with having my mom cut and friends and family fine tune my hair... it wasnt nearly as traumatic for me as it could have been having a stranger lop off most of my hair
    hi thanks for your help i started cutting today,but i`m not done,i`m able to do it on my own because i`m putting water into my hair every minute,the back of my hair is already natural so that helps alot,i`m seeing 3 different curls and texture in my hair ,the back of my hair is the thickest part and it fits the profile of 4a hair,the middle part has defined s curl shape and it falls,it has curls at the end,the front of my hair is almost the same,but its slightly thicker.It would be easier to know my hair types if it was longer.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

• teppuMteppuM Registered Users Posts: 19
    it sounds like some of you did slow transitioning? so how do you take care of your hair in the in-between stage? i've decided to just leave my hair alone for a year and see what it looks like when there's more new growth and hopefully the follicles will no longer be growing "Help me i'm dying!" hair =p theeeeeen i'll hack off the ends if i like what i get =p

i've always secretly loved curly hair, but i also love long straight hair (particularly my boyfriend's) =p but i'm slowly getting the psychological part down -- my hair is not straight by nature, and making it straight is doing nothing but killing it

weee!

so here's to one day doing my own big chop. i've cut loads of hair off out of frustration before, so once i get ready to, i think it'll be a breeze =p it's just the "getting ready" part that kills
    hi teppuM ''it sounds like some of you did slow transitioning? so how do you take care of your hair in the in-between stage?''
    sorry i don`t know what you mean,but i transition for 11 months,and the whole time i would put weave in my hair or put big plaits in my hair or do braid outs.Washing can be difficult i would have to put an curl activator in my hair to soften it then i would wash it, and put more again to get rid of the tangles after i wash it,it was very fustrating for me that`s why i started cutting my hair yesterday i was very scare to do it,last week i promise myself to do it the following sunday,it was hard for me to sleep because i had a fear of getting short hair,i grow up in an atmosphere that long hair makes the person pretty,but once i started cutting my hair i didn`t show any motions but i felt relieve because i face my fears.Hope that you have the strength to do it :D
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

the "long hair = pretty" attitude is pretty common around here -- EVERYONE has long flowing hair, and it kinda sucks when you're the one who doesn't
    but knowing that your hair will be healthy and as healthy hair it WILL grow is motivation enough to be the short haired one for a little while =p hehe
    by "slow transition" i just meant transitioning over time instead of just cutting everything off suddnely and going from there
    i don't really like the shape of my head, and there is that "short hair = bad" thing going on, so i'm not going to cut off my old hair for a while. i put twisties in yesterday and took them out htis morning and it looks really neat and the new and old hair blend together well, so i'll probably just keep doing that for a while ^_^

anyway i was just asking how you took care of it because lots of people have problems with breakage at the point where the new hair meets the old relaxed hair, did you have trouble with that?
    yah i had a breakage problem too,my natural hair would come out too,but not to the extrem,right now i`m 100% natural!! i just finish cutting my hair late last night. i have to put pics in my fotki soon,i was freaking out with my natural hair because everytime i wet my hair to cut it,curls would apear in my hair after its dry,yesterday morning more curls appear i thought that maybe its still relaxed but it wasn`t,now i would have to wash my hair again because i want to know how it would look like after i cut the relaxed ends off,i also want to know if i miss any.My sister has a smaller face than me, so i know that she would get away with short hair than me but it doesn`t look bad on me i think confindence would make any hairdo look good on a person.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

teppuM wrote:
    the "long hair = pretty" attitude is pretty common around here -- EVERYONE has long flowing hair, and it kinda sucks when you're the one who doesn't
    but knowing that your hair will be healthy and as healthy hair it WILL grow is motivation enough to be the short haired one for a little while =p hehe
    by "slow transition" i just meant transitioning over time instead of just cutting everything off suddnely and going from there
    i don't really like the shape of my head, and there is that "short hair = bad" thing going on, so i'm not going to cut off my old hair for a while. i put twisties in yesterday and took them out htis morning and it looks really neat and the new and old hair blend together well, so i'll probably just keep doing that for a while ^_^

anyway i was just asking how you took care of it because lots of people have problems with breakage at the point where the new hair meets the old relaxed hair, did you have trouble with that?

i have worn my hair in med/long length most of my adult life so i knew i would freak out if i cut it all off in my quest to go natural... so i committed to letting my hair grow for a full year... i knew it wasnt going to be super long at that point but i knew it would be enough to hide in head shape imperfections and long enough to pull back into a pony/pigtail... i tried all sorts of styling options in that year but my favorite thing to do was to pull my hair back into a ball and tuck it inside a phony pony tail or afro puff... i use ouchless/no metal hair bands but still lost a few strands at times but overall i had very minimal breakage... when i had only 2-3 inches of "new growth" i would have my mom braid my hair in 8-10 cornrows then i would unbraid them the following morning before heading to work... i stopped trying to wearing straight styles after the first 4 months of transitioning so i never went though trying to bevel my natural hair... hope this helps
    i use nonmetal hairbands, too, and they definitely help with breakage. i've decided to get rid of relaxers for a year, so next august we'll see where my hair is :) did you have problems with "scab hair"? i saw that term on another website, referring to the creepy hair your hair follicles grow because they're damaged. my new hair is becoming more coily, and before it had always grown in as frizzy weird stuff, so i'm guessing that's what it is.
    i've been putting twisties in and taking them out and i've gotten alot of compliments on it, which is kinda neat =p haha
    it's been four months since my last relaxer but i've only officially decided that i'm "transitioning" this month =p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file