Coconut Oil Info.

CurliesFTW_xoCurliesFTW_xo Posts: 111Registered Users
I'd like to know the basics, how to use it, how often and how much should I use.
I've tried it once before, but it didnt go too well as i reckon i used a little too much. It made my hair go all hard and not soft atall. So help me out here, let me know if its good or not, or maybe give me some advice on other natural product i can use.

Thank You :angel2:

Naturally brunette but dyed hair, dark brown ( nearly black ) in November 2010.Trying to grow to WL but only past SL atm. Currently not CO washing and using Pantenes shampoo. Styling: Schwarzkopf ultimate repair serum with total ends repair. Also use Aussies 3 miracle worker from time to time. 3B,bouncy ringlets,medium thickness,strands are neither fine nor coarse,dry,low elasticity ( when wet, but high elasticity when dry ) and proud to be a curly!

Comments

• kashlykashly Posts: 57Registered Users
    hey curlies! :) this is quite funny because I got on here specifically to ask why coconut oil made my hair so dry! Whenever i put it on my 3a/3b hair it gives it that nasty oily/dry feeling that I hate! And when my mom did a hot oil treatment with it (on her relaxed 4b hair) her hair began to break off at the ends!!! I am baffled as to why this is happening since iv read soo much on how great coconut oil is for hair! So iv decided to just use in on my skin as lotion for now on. But iv had great success with grapeseed oil and olive oil (only in small amounts tho).

PS: the coconut oil i used was 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil too so it wasnt that refined stuff or anything
    Curls are beautiful <3
  • CurliesFTW_xoCurliesFTW_xo Posts: 111Registered Users
    kashly wrote: »
    hey curlies! :) this is quite funny because I got on here specifically to ask why coconut oil made my hair so dry! Whenever i put it on my 3a/3b hair it gives it that nasty oily/dry feeling that I hate! And when my mom did a hot oil treatment with it (on her relaxed 4b hair) her hair began to break off at the ends!!! I am baffled as to why this is happening since iv read soo much on how great coconut oil is for hair! So iv decided to just use in on my skin as lotion for now on. But iv had great success with grapeseed oil and olive oil (only in small amounts tho).

PS: the coconut oil i used was 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil too so it wasnt that refined stuff or anything

Hello:tongue3:
    Well my problem wasnt the softness it was more about how hard it got. I prefer my curls bouncy. I love olive oil, but i dont think it gives a nice look to my 3b hair. It makes it look greasy and i feel the need to wash it more often. I just use it once a week as a weekly moisturizer and that works out pretty well :happy4:
    Since everyone kept talking about coconut oil i decided to give it a second try. Earlier i washed my hair ( I dont follow the curly girl method ) and afterwards for styling i used a tiny little bit of the coconut oil, and so far it looks nice. Olive oil is soo good as a lotion too, love it :love5:

P.s. Thanks for the feedback.

Naturally brunette but dyed hair, dark brown ( nearly black ) in November 2010.Trying to grow to WL but only past SL atm. Currently not CO washing and using Pantenes shampoo. Styling: Schwarzkopf ultimate repair serum with total ends repair. Also use Aussies 3 miracle worker from time to time. 3B,bouncy ringlets,medium thickness,strands are neither fine nor coarse,dry,low elasticity ( when wet, but high elasticity when dry ) and proud to be a curly!
  • mandisitamandisita Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have used coconut oil on my hair for over a year now and it actually helps me to go longer between haircuts. After I shower I take a little bit- about a quarter sized amount and rub it together in my hands. I also scent it with essential oils but this is more of a personal preference and not necessary.

I apply it only to the ends of each layer of my hair.. it really helps control the frizzy ends and usually it has been absorbed completely by the next day. I only wash my hair once a week (i dont have the no poo, either.. its expensive :sad:) and I usually have to apply another coat of coconut oil before the week is over. I only apply shampoo at the roots.

Maybe every other week I put a whole ton of it on as a mask for an hour before I get in the shower. If you do that you might need to shampoo twice, followed by your regular conditioner.

at the beginning it was difficult to figure out how much I needed. I put way too much in and it was crunchy and gross.. though, it did help with the chlorine problem during the summer.

I just made this account to reply to this post. I will try to find a pic of my hair curly-i model and usually have it straight for work, though, its humid where I live so my hair starts getting waves and then big loose curls by the end of the week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file