Ah, a place for us . .

pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
I am pretty thrilled to see that there's now a section for people with low porosity. I discovered that I was low porosity the hard way and now I would love to be able to talk to other curlies with low porosity and see what they do with their own hair.

We can swap tips. :love5:

(yes, I'm pretty excited about this)
last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Great idea.:blob:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    :thumright:

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    I am pretty thrilled to see that there's now a section for people with low porosity. I discovered that I was low porosity the hard way and now I would love to be able to talk to other curlies with low porosity and see what they do with their own hair.

I am excited too! I have so many questions about low porosity! lol. You sound like my hair twin though...except that mine is 3C/4A.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    m_cruz2007 wrote: »

I am excited too! I have so many questions about low porosity! lol. You sound like my hair twin though...except that mine is 3C/4A.

Cool, we might be hair twins. I'll take a picture of my hair when I wash it either tomorrow or Monday and post it in here. Then we can compare.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • nanachannanachan Posts: 110Registered Users
    can you be 3a and still be considered low? i was reading the article, and i've been noticing that the more i go into CG the more the top of my head takes longer to get wet (it seems like the water just beads up on the top of my head!) ad my hair is very shiny- also, when i used to dye my hair, i would have to leave it in for an extra 15 min. for it to really get any color in. any thoughts?
    my hair loves::love7:
    KCKT
    CURLS goddess curls[/COLOR]
    Trader Joe's Tea tree conditioner

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jgnellejgnelle Posts: 21Registered Users
    :cheers::blob2::blob3::blob4: i've been waiting for sumting like this
    Hair type: medium/thick, low porosity, no set curl definition = ???
    Prepoo: mix of aloe gel, castor, coconut/vatika oil
    Shampoo:
    Giovanni TTTT
    Detangler: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Leave-in: Elucence MBC + Aloe Gel
    Deep Condish: AOHSR
    Protein DC: AOGPB
    Stylers: Raw Shea butter mixed with Shea Moisture leave in
    Spritz: water, EMBC, aloe, castor oil, glycerin
    Oils:
    Coconut, Vatika, JBCO
    Want to try: GDLI
    nanachan wrote: »
    can you be 3a and still be considered low? i was reading the article, and i've been noticing that the more i go into CG the more the top of my head takes longer to get wet (it seems like the water just beads up on the top of my head!) ad my hair is very shiny- also, when i used to dye my hair, i would have to leave it in for an extra 15 min. for it to really get any color in. any thoughts?

I suppose anything is possible. You could be low porosity. Did you try the strand test to make sure?

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can be any hair type and be low porosity.

Yaaaaay for the forum!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    m_cruz2007 wrote: »

Cool, we might be hair twins. I'll take a picture of my hair when I wash it either tomorrow or Monday and post it in here. Then we can compare.
    Cool, we can do that. But I just did the BC less than a mth ago, so idk if you'd be able to tell that good bc my hair is only like 2 in when its dry and not stretched out. It's about 6 in stretched out dry.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/

I suppose anything is possible. You could be low porosity. Did you try the strand test to make sure?

strand test? what would that be?
    KCKT

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Sounds like you're a part of the low porosity club to me. :thumbup:

I'm going to echo Ellepixie and say that any hair type can be low porosity. Your experiences with hair dye sound identical to mine. It's a major problem because I'm getting more grays and not ready to embrace them yet... :angry3:
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
    Your experiences with hair dye sound identical to mine. It's a major problem because I'm getting more grays and not ready to embrace them yet... :angry3:

This is an issue for me as well. I am ready for the "change" but not the grays. However, my hair says otherwise. :disgust:

• Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users

Porosity is not determined by curl type, but how your hair cuticle lays down. Those with low porosity hair have hair cuticles that are tightly closed, like NOTHING gets into the hair shaft or out. There are tons of curlies with 2ABC whose hair is low porosity. Actually, low porosity is more common amongst the lower numbered curlies than the higher numbered curlies on NC.com. For instance, if you check out the 4A thread & read the siggy of the posters, you'll see that a majority of them have normal or high porosity hair, where as many of those with 2 something hair tend towards normal or low porosity.

Here's a thread that may help.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders

Porosity is not determined by curl type, but how your hair cuticle lays down. Those with low porosity hair have hair cuticles that are tightly closed, like NOTHING gets into the hair shaft or out. There are tons of curlies with 2ABC whose hair is low porosity. Actually, low porosity is more common amongst the lower numbered curlies than the higher numbered curlies on NC.com. For instance, if you check out the 4A thread & read the siggy of the posters, you'll see that a majority of them have normal or high porosity hair, where as many of those with 2 something hair tend towards normal or low porosity.

Here's a thread that may help.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html

thanks for the link! it was a bunch of help
    teejay wrote: »
    Your experiences with hair dye sound identical to mine. It's a major problem because I'm getting more grays and not ready to embrace them yet... :angry3:

This is an issue for me as well. I am ready for the "change" but not the grays. However, my hair says otherwise. :disgust:

Sounds like you're a part of the low porosity club to me. :thumbup:

I'm going to echo Ellepixie and say that any hair type can be low porosity. Your experiences with hair dye sound identical to mine. It's a major problem because I'm getting more grays and not ready to embrace them yet... :angry3:

lol thanks for your thoughts.
    KCKT

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    also! i found this :]

"You can check porosity on dry hair by taking a strand of several hairs from four different areas of the head (front hairline, temple, crown and nape). Slide the thumb and index finger of your other hand down each hair strand from end to scalp. If it is smooth, you have normal porosity. If your fingers move very fast up the hair strand and it feels exceptionally slick, dense and hard, you have low porosity. If your fingers "catch" going up the strand, feel like they are ruffling up the hair strand, or if the hair strand breaks, your hair is overly porous."

so it turns out i answered my own question, i belong to the low porosity forum! :thumbleft:
    KCKT

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    also! i found this :]

"You can check porosity on dry hair by taking a strand of several hairs from four different areas of the head (front hairline, temple, crown and nape). Slide the thumb and index finger of your other hand down each hair strand from end to scalp. If it is smooth, you have normal porosity. If your fingers move very fast up the hair strand and it feels exceptionally slick, dense and hard, you have low porosity. If your fingers "catch" going up the strand, feel like they are ruffling up the hair strand, or if the hair strand breaks, your hair is overly porous."

so it turns out i answered my own question, i belong to the low porosity forum! :thumbleft:

That is the exact strand test, thing-a-ma-bob that I was talking about.

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • anonymous_59737anonymous_59737 Posts: 485Registered Users
    So glad we have a Low Porosity forum now! :toothy1:
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    So glad we have a Low Porosity forum now! :toothy1:

+1!!!! :blob:
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • caracara01caracara01 Posts: 119Registered Users
    Hello all. I have low porosity hair as well..:wave:

I think of my LP hair as a bullet proof vest or teflon becaue nothing gets in there. :laughing6: My hair has to be saturated, soaking and drenched for it to do anything.

I have found that liquidy styling products work best for me (gels, gellies, serums, custards, glazes, etc.)
    Coily/low porosity/fine
    BC 08*14*09
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    caracara01 wrote: »
    Hello all. I have low porosity hair as well..:wave:

I think of my LP hair as a bullet proof vest or teflon becaue nothing gets in there. :laughing6: My hair has to be saturated, soaking and drenched for it to do anything.

I have found that liquidy styling products work best for me (gels, gellies, serums, custards, glazes, etc.)

I love your description of our low porosity hair!
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
    +1 :thumbleft:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file