Retin-A questions

124»

Comments

• memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I've used the PC BHA liquid for a couple of years. I generally use it at night and wait as long as I can to apply the Retin A. I really like it and feel that it cuts down on breakouts for me.....I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks but many things still set my skin off. The combination of the BHA and Retin A have pretty much eliminated breakouts for me.

I use the same products I use on my face on my neck and chest...at least I try to. I do have to be careful not to irritate those areas so I often use Green Cream instead of Retin A on neck and chest. The only other treatment type product I use is Skinceuticals C&E Ferulic which I use in the morning about every other day. I use Green Cream on my face on the alternate mornings as it's my understanding that with retinoids you want to apply as much as you can as often as you can without causing irritation.

Take care and good luck,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    VTmom wrote:
    alim1216 wrote:
    VTmom wrote:
    alim1216 wrote:
    I've just literally started (yesterday) using a 10% AHA with built in moisturizer ( it's supposed to be for the body, but can be used anywhere - Paula's Choice brand FYI), followed by a min. 30 spf sunscreen in the A.M., then I do a BHA and Retin-A (generic) .025 in PM. I've even been using it around my eye area with no more than a tiny bit of dryness and flaking there, which of course washes off, hopefully leaving 'new' less wrinkled skin!

However, I'm considering increasing to the .50 for the frown lines and lip/chin area as I'm seeing the breakdown of the skin there and don't like it. I guess the years of frowning at the kids is coming back to bite me in the butt now! LOL

Any opinions out there from you 'experts' on the topic? And also, anyone out there tried Paula's Choice products? Opinions, please? TIA! :)

Alim

hi alim,
    i've used PC 2% bha for several years, and was using it exactly the same way as you in my nightly routine: wash, bha, wait 30 min., retin-a .025%. i've always liked it but decided to use the retin-a just as directed - on clean skin after a 30 min. wait. i've just ordered the .05% cream and am hoping that will enhance the results i've seen from the lesser strength retin-a, which i've actually been very pleased with. for the first time in quite a few years, i think i'm finally getting this chin acne under control!! :P in the a.m., i cleanse and then apply a tiny dab of benzaclin on my chin. i just bought the neutrogena age shield sunblock with helioplex spf30 - i've tried so hard to get in the habit of putting on sunscreen everyday, but EVERYTHING breaks me out. you'd think at 49 that i would have outgrown that problem my now - not so. :cry: keep your fingers crossed that this works!

good luck to you, VTmom[/quote

Thanks VTmom! and likewise. I find the PC products aren't bad for the money, and initially when I started to use her stuff about a year ago, my mom was the first to notice an improvement in my skin tone, etc. However, I have to admit, I'm very inconsistent with my routines and would probably get better results if I did things DAILY like I'm supposed to. That's why I started incorporating the PC 10% AHA Skin Lotion in the morning, to see if combining the AHA in the morning and the BHA at night with the Retin-A I get better results.
    I wonder if I should try the reverse: Use the Retin-A on the cleansed skin FIRST, letting it sit for 30 or so, then applying the BHA on top of that. Has anyone experimented with reversing the products like mentioned here?

i think you're doing it in the correct order. on Paula's website, she has various "skin care battle plans". the one for blemishes states: "As an alternative, some dermatologists recommend applying the BHA or AHA first then applying Retin-A, Differin, or Tazorac. The thought is that the BHA or AHA boosts the effectiveness by aiding penetration of the other products. Again, talk to your doctor and experiment to see which frequency, combination, and order of application works best for your skin."

what kind of sunscreen do you use?

Currently, I'm using PC new spray on sunscreen. I spray it on my hand and then coat my face, neck and upper chest with it. Very convenient. However, I sometimes use her cream sunscreen and also use some of the newer Neutrogena sunscreen products. They have some new ones that are high on the SPF scale and go on pretty smoothly.

though I do have the periodic break out (I tend to break out more in the center of my back, I think because of the heat created with the hair being so long and the periodic hot flash issues), I'm mainly using the protocols to try reduce/slow down wrinkles and aging. Tough work! LOL
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    memes wrote:
    I've used the PC BHA liquid for a couple of years. I generally use it at night and wait as long as I can to apply the Retin A. I really like it and feel that it cuts down on breakouts for me.....I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks but many things still set my skin off. The combination of the BHA and Retin A have pretty much eliminated breakouts for me.

I use the same products I use on my face on my neck and chest...at least I try to. I do have to be careful not to irritate those areas so I often use Green Cream instead of Retin A on neck and chest. The only other treatment type product I use is Skinceuticals C&E Ferulic which I use in the morning about every other day. I use Green Cream on my face on the alternate mornings as it's my understanding that with retinoids you want to apply as much as you can as often as you can without causing irritation.

Take care and good luck,

Michelle

If you don't mind my asking, what is Green Cream and where would one get it? I ask about the neck because I have periodically used the Retin-A in that area, but my skin gets really irritated and red when I use it consistently. I'm wondering if I'm just better off using AHA in the mornings and BHA in the evenings, then just use the Retin-A in the upper chest area where the skin is looking a little tough/rough and goose-bumpy.
    Hair 3a/3b.
    Hi,

Green Cream is a high strength retinol (over the counter retinoid)....I used it for some time before going to Retin A as I'd tried Retin A in the past and just couldn't get adjusted to it. The Green Cream worked really well in helping me "work up" to the the Retin A and I still use it as my skin just looks better when I use both. It comes in 3 strengths and I now use the GC 9 which is the strongest version.

You can read about it at www.greencream.com ; they have a forum and lists of online retailers. I've never seen it at a bricks & mortar store.

I hope this helps,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are some other stronger retinol products other than Green Cream out there too, that are intermediate between the largely ineffective drugstore retinols. Skinceuticals has a couple, and over on Makeup Alley, lots of people use the Avene Retrinal creams that come in three strengths. This tactic could be good for people who either can't tolerate the full Rx retinoids like Retin-A, or who wish to be able work towards using them. I am considering myself to go with one of the Avene products as part of my program.
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
    I've actually used both the Skinceuticals and the Green Cream and they seemed equally effective to me....I just prefer the texture of the Green Cream. I haven't tried the Avene products which use a different retinoid that some people feel is more effective than retinol....on the other hand, some folks feel that retinol is the better bet. Since I've been happy with the retinol formulations and I use Retin A also, I haven't bothered to pursue the Avene options.

Michelle

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried to use Green Cream. What a fiasco! My skin could never get past the purging stage, so I was a mass of pimples, and it made me peel horribly. Retin-A doesn't do that to me. I just have clear beautiful soft skin from Retin-A.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file