Retin-A questions

Comments

• memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    You don't need a prescription at Mexican pharmacies or Canadian pharmacies for most retinoids but the selection is a bit limited. I buy mine from a Canadian pharmacy called soemthing like 4 Corners.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    thanks memes. I will check to see if I can find a website for the canadian. If not available I'll order from Mexico! :)
    Hair 3a/3b.
    Try this www.4cornerspharmacy.com or http://www.4cnrs-skincare.com/

I use the generic version Retino-A...

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Curl Neophyte Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I wish I had more of a bio-chemistry background, because then I'd have more clout behind my words when I tell women that the cosmetic industry is lying to them. There are very few things that "work" when it comes to good skin, and none of them come from the cosmetics counter in either the high-end or low-end stores, and in fact most of those things actually harm skin." - RedCatWaves

So true! There is so-o much hype out there about this or that OTC skincare product being "the next big thing" etc. plus lots of stuff that does more harm than good. If one is not looking for the big guns that actually do something good(like Rx retinoids, or strong medical-type of retinols, AHAs, medical spa-type of treatments, high-quality Vit. C and lightening products), then going with the simplest, blandest moisturizer, like Cetaphil, or shea butter, along with a simple cleanser appropriate to skintype, and maybe a gentle exfoliator once or twice a week is all that one needs. I for one refuse to believe for one minute that stuff like the drugstore lines Olay, L'Oreal, or even Neutrogena are in any way anti-aging in the aspect that one actually notices any difference in the skin's appearance. This, along with having somewhat sensitive skin that's normal-to-oily with a dehydrated surface that I have not been able to significantly correct(due to sensitivity)makes me keep my skin routine very simple. I wish I could use something that would make a difference, but to tell you the truth, I'm afraid to, after all the negative reactions that my skin has had to even drugstore-level products. Also, my budget is extremely low, allowing no room for mistakes in selecting skincare products. I'm probably missing out on some good stuff that would actually work on my skin on account of this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles these days. Also, can one really improve the appearance of one's skin at age 59?
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There's no Rx needed for ordering Retin-A (tretinoin) from Mexico. I'm not sure whether the Canadian sites require an Rx. I looked at the 4 corners site briefly, but their product is twice as expensive, and it's generic. I get the actual name brand from: Medsmex.com
    I've actually ordered from both MedsMex and 4 Corners and ended up sticking with 4 Corners because MedsMex was often out of Retin A....and when it came it was the same generic that 4 Corners sells. By the way 4 Corners sells both the name brand and the generic. It is more expensive but it's still way less expensive than it is locally and I'm just more comfortable with them as I generally purchase other items at the same time.

Michelle

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've ordered from Medsmex.com about 5 times in the past year, and I got the name brand every time, not generic. They always seem to have it in stock. I'd be pissed if they substituted a generic without asking me first though.
    That's good to know....I seem to remember that I was expecting the generic so I wasn't pissed. Maybe they've changed suppliers or something and I should give them another shot :)

Michelle

• g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    How would know if it is generic? Does it say something different then Retin-A?
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    How would know if it is generic? Does it say something different then Retin-A?

It would say just tretinoin. That's the chemical name. Retin-A is the brand name and it can't say Retin-A unless it's the namebrand product.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    cara4curls wrote:
    Also, my budget is extremely low, allowing no room for mistakes in selecting skincare products. I'm probably missing out on some good stuff that would actually work on my skin on account of this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles these days. Also, can one really improve the appearance of one's skin at age 59?

I hear you on this. I can't tell you how much money (that technically I don't even have!) has been thrown at product....should be going into retirement savings. My current strategy is to research, research, research and then buy samples when possible. If samples aren't an option, and the product is pricey, I usually pass. Most sample sizes are enough for me to tell if my skin will react.

Then I wait, and wait, and wait, for sales. Most stores will have a decent sale at least once a year, but it requires constant vigilence to catch them! Then I stock up on the stuff I like.

I don't know if one can improve the appearance of one's skin, at 59. I do know that when I visited my parents (they're in their 70s), I brought a retinol product with me and decided to leave it behind. My mom wasn't interested, she said her wrinkles are there to stay. But my dad was all over it. He kept going on and on about wanting to improve the texture of his skin, so that it would feel smoother and not so rough. That's what I get from the retinoid products...smoother, more even feeling skin.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • jen4youjen4you Posts: 135Registered Users
    I've ordered from Medsmex.com about 5 times in the past year, and I got the name brand every time, not generic. They always seem to have it in stock. I'd be pissed if they substituted a generic without asking me first though.

Is is safe to order from Medsmex.com with a credit card or debit card?

Thanks,
    Jennie
    Is is safe to order from Medsmex.com with a credit card or debit card?

As safe as anything else. I keep a credit card with a very small limit that I use exclusively for internet shopping. I've never had a problem with Medsmex or anyplace else online...and I do a LOT of internet shopping. ;)
    RedCatWaves, I've been layering my products, but now I'm wondering how long I should wait before I apply each product. I start with my Retin-A, then my Copper Peptide, then my DMAE & Vitamin E cream. I've been waiting 5 minutes btwn each layering, but I was wondering if I should wait longer. I don't want to dilute any of my products. I've started using the Retin-A every night now.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    RedCatWaves, I've been layering my products, but now I'm wondering how long I should wait before I apply each product. I start with my Retin-A, then my Copper Peptide, then my DMAE & Vitamin E cream. I've been waiting 5 minutes btwn each layering, but I was wondering if I should wait longer. I don't want to dilute any of my products. I've started using the Retin-A every night now.

You're doing it right. Retin-A doesn't reqire a wait period. If you were using an OTC retinol, you would have to wait 30 minutes after applying to give the product time to convert to retinoic acid on the skin, but Retin-A is already in that form, and doesn't need to convert, so you can layer over it immediately. CP's dont' require a wait time either, unless you were using an acidic one. The Skin Biology CP Serum and Super CP Serum are not acidic.

Really, the only skin actives you need to be concerned about wait times are low-Ph acids....AHA, BHA, mandelic, etc. The skin takes about 30 minutes to neutralize a topical acid, so you should wait those 30 minutes before applying other actives...just so you get the most out of your acid. If you layer something else on top sooner, then you just don't get the full acid benefit, that's all.

Oh, and if you use a vitamin C product, you need to wait about 10 minutes before layering over it.
    "I wish I could use something that would make a difference, but to tell you the truth, I'm afraid to, after all the negative reactions that my skin has had to even drugstore-level products. Also, my budget is extremely low, allowing no room for mistakes in selecting skincare products. I'm probably missing out on some good stuff that would actually work on my skin on account of this, but that's the way the cookie crumbles these days. Also, can one really improve the appearance of one's skin at age 59?" - cara4curls

Well, for the very first time ever, I took matters into my own hands and went to a medspa to have a free skin evaluation where they scan your skin with a special camera that can see the state of sun damage, both visible and not-yet-visible, pores, wrinkles, texture, etc. and had a good chat with the medical esthetician about my problems with reacting to products, etc. She had the good comment that alot of drugstore so-called treatment products, as well as department store products(these I don't use, since, like, forever!)have alot of fillers and fragrances in them that are often the culprits in negative reactions, making us think we're "allergic to AHA's or retinols", etc. She didn't seem to think my age per se was a problem in being able to improve the skin's appearance and health. She recomended a good stable physical sunblock, a couple of Obagi products(Clear, which is Rx), and later a low-strength Retin-A to address my pigmentation and skin texture problems. She explained that professional level prescription products do indeed have a break-in period of adjustment, which can be monitored by an esthetic nurse or doctor as far as frequency and type of use. She approved of my use of Cetaphil products as basic skincare, as they are mild, and they will surely come in handy if I go onto a serious regimen. I'm well aware that some peeling, redness, and dryness go with the territory of these types of products. In this nurse's experience, she pretty much goes with Obagi and Retin-A for the Rx stuff, and the Skinceuticals line for the non-Rx products, which she likes very much. She recommended the Skinceuticals C+E Ferulic serum too, as a strong anti-oxidant and photoprotector, to be used every third morning to start. She gave me samples of the serum plus the Skinceuticals SPF 30 Physical sunblock, which I already love - makeup goes on beautifully over this! So I've finally got some new info to digest, and will likely pop for a couple of these new products. I posted about being on a low budget, but this might save me from wasting money on junk that doesn't work.
    I'm also a fan of Skinceuticals products. I use both the C+E Ferulic and the sunscreens (20 or 30 for everyday and 45 for when I'm going to be out in the sun). I really believe that the only products that are going to make any difference in the long run are retinoids/retinols, sunscreens and possibly a antioxidant treatment. All the other stuff may show some promise in a test tube but hasn't been proven to do much on real skin. AHA/BHAs may also be effective but many people find them just too irritating for their skin. I use a BHA now and then without problems though. The other thing that is important is a mild cleanser so you don't irritate your skin before you even start with the retinoids. If the Cetaphil is working for you you'll certainly want to stick with it but many people find that Cetaphil causes problems for their skin, me included.

Anyway, I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks and my skin is better now than it was 10 years ago.

Good luck,

Michelle

Hi memes! Thanks so much for the support, and confirmation that this will be the right way to go for treating the skin. I'm just fortunate in that I never got swayed by all the hype around the "department store" lines, as well as the "latest and greatest" with unproven ingredients! After doing extensive research, and being over on the Makeup Alley skincare discussion board, like many others I have come to the conclusion that one really does have to go with professional level or Rx products to treat major skin issues like hyperpigmentation(my main concern, along with skin texture issues). Skinceuticals gets high marks in many places for having high-quality products, and I notice that is a frequently-used line at many of the medical spas(some of whose websites that I have been looking at here in San Francisco)along with Obagi, Rx retinoids, Skin Medica, and maybe a couple of other good lines. If one is just looking to moisturize, a plain product does it, without spending excess $$$ for fragrance, fillers, pretty packaging, etc. For my basics, Cetaphil has been great, and is a very good value for the price. Another product I'm a fan of which I'm sure might come in handy for handling side effects of the strong treatment products is Aquaphor(from the drugstore) - I got my husband onto it for chapped lips, and I've used it to apply to irritated spots from time to time.
    Thanks RCW. :) I'll continue with the way I'm doing it.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • VTmomVTmom Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi,
    I've been using retin-a, the .025% gel, for a couple of months now and am seeing some improvement - yoohoo!! I'm 49, very oily and acne-prone, especially on my chin and lower face. Not so much anywhere else. I really haven't had much trouble adjusting to it, just a little flakiness sometimes. I'm thinking about ordering the .05% cream from medsmex.com just to up my strenght a little bit. I'm a little nervous about a)ordering from mexico, and b)using the cream version. I hope the cream won't break me out. I have a question for anyone out there who might know - at night I wash, then apply 10% AHA, wait at least 30 minutes, then apply my retin-a. Is it ok to apply the AHA before the retin-a? It seems to help but I don't want to dilute the effectiveness of the retin-a. Also, I've just started using a little benzaclin in the a.m. My younger son, who is 20, suffers from pretty bad acne. He took accutane a couple of years ago, which helped, but it's coming back again. His M.D. just prescribed the benzaclin and doxy, and the 50g jar of benz expires in only 3 months. Knowing he'd never finish it up in 3 months, I use a little on my breakout-prone areas.

Sorry this is so long, I'm new here and am FULL of questions. I'll try to spread them out so as not to bore anyone. :?

Thanks!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • witchcurlgirlwitchcurlgirl Posts: 55Registered Users
    use the AHA in the day, and the retin a at night
    Bra strap length 3b coppery w/gold highlights.
    can I use the AHA with the benzaclin? I didn't think I was supposed to mix the aha with bp.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote:
    Hi,
    I've been using retin-a, the .025% gel, for a couple of months now and am seeing some improvement - yoohoo!! I'm 49, very oily and acne-prone, especially on my chin and lower face. Not so much anywhere else. I really haven't had much trouble adjusting to it, just a little flakiness sometimes. I'm thinking about ordering the .05% cream from medsmex.com just to up my strenght a little bit. I'm a little nervous about a)ordering from mexico, and b)using the cream version. I hope the cream won't break me out. I have a question for anyone out there who might know - at night I wash, then apply 10% AHA, wait at least 30 minutes, then apply my retin-a. Is it ok to apply the AHA before the retin-a? It seems to help but I don't want to dilute the effectiveness of the retin-a. Also, I've just started using a little benzaclin in the a.m. My younger son, who is 20, suffers from pretty bad acne. He took accutane a couple of years ago, which helped, but it's coming back again. His M.D. just prescribed the benzaclin and doxy, and the 50g jar of benz expires in only 3 months. Knowing he'd never finish it up in 3 months, I use a little on my breakout-prone areas.

Sorry this is so long, I'm new here and am FULL of questions. I'll try to spread them out so as not to bore anyone. :?

Thanks!

I had the same reservations about moving from a low-strength Retin-A gel to a higher strength cream. The cream does not break me out, and I do get more active skin treatment from the higher strength Retin-A...so it was worth switching up. Medsmex.com has been awesome for me, no problems at all and I have ordered from them many times.

As for your AHA and whether you can use it before Retin-A...it really depends on the formulation of the AHA. They are not all alike. Retin-A is supposed to go on clean skin. If your AHA is not cleanly formulated and you are applying it first, it is likely blocking some of the action of the Retin-A.
    VTmom wrote:
    can I use the AHA with the benzaclin? I didn't think I was supposed to mix the aha with bp.

You can use both...but they may cause some irritation or dryness. BP is horrible on me, so I can't use it at all.
    Thanks, RedCatWaves! I'm going to order the .05% cream today and eliminate the aha at night.

I've just literally started (yesterday) using a 10% AHA with built in moisturizer ( it's supposed to be for the body, but can be used anywhere - Paula's Choice brand FYI), followed by a min. 30 spf sunscreen in the A.M., then I do a BHA and Retin-A (generic) .025 in PM. I've even been using it around my eye area with no more than a tiny bit of dryness and flaking there, which of course washes off, hopefully leaving 'new' less wrinkled skin!

However, I'm considering increasing to the .50 for the frown lines and lip/chin area as I'm seeing the breakdown of the skin there and don't like it. I guess the years of frowning at the kids is coming back to bite me in the butt now! LOL

Any opinions out there from you 'experts' on the topic? And also, anyone out there tried Paula's Choice products? Opinions, please? TIA! :)

Alim
    Hair 3a/3b.
    Oh, forgot to ask: anyone use the AHA or BHA on the neck and upper chest area? That seems to be a real target for me in the hot FL sun! Opinions here also please. Thanks. :)
    Hair 3a/3b.
    alim1216 wrote:
    I've just literally started (yesterday) using a 10% AHA with built in moisturizer ( it's supposed to be for the body, but can be used anywhere - Paula's Choice brand FYI), followed by a min. 30 spf sunscreen in the A.M., then I do a BHA and Retin-A (generic) .025 in PM. I've even been using it around my eye area with no more than a tiny bit of dryness and flaking there, which of course washes off, hopefully leaving 'new' less wrinkled skin!

However, I'm considering increasing to the .50 for the frown lines and lip/chin area as I'm seeing the breakdown of the skin there and don't like it. I guess the years of frowning at the kids is coming back to bite me in the butt now! LOL

Any opinions out there from you 'experts' on the topic? And also, anyone out there tried Paula's Choice products? Opinions, please? TIA! :)

Alim

hi alim,
    i've used PC 2% bha for several years, and was using it exactly the same way as you in my nightly routine: wash, bha, wait 30 min., retin-a .025%. i've always liked it but decided to use the retin-a just as directed - on clean skin after a 30 min. wait. i've just ordered the .05% cream and am hoping that will enhance the results i've seen from the lesser strength retin-a, which i've actually been very pleased with. for the first time in quite a few years, i think i'm finally getting this chin acne under control!! :P in the a.m., i cleanse and then apply a tiny dab of benzaclin on my chin. i just bought the neutrogena age shield sunblock with helioplex spf30 - i've tried so hard to get in the habit of putting on sunscreen everyday, but EVERYTHING breaks me out. you'd think at 49 that i would have outgrown that problem my now - not so. :cry: keep your fingers crossed that this works!

good luck to you, VTmom

VTmom wrote:
    alim1216 wrote:

Alim

hi alim,
    i've used PC 2% bha for several years, and was using it exactly the same way as you in my nightly routine: wash, bha, wait 30 min., retin-a .025%. i've always liked it but decided to use the retin-a just as directed - on clean skin after a 30 min. wait. i've just ordered the .05% cream and am hoping that will enhance the results i've seen from the lesser strength retin-a, which i've actually been very pleased with. for the first time in quite a few years, i think i'm finally getting this chin acne under control!! :P in the a.m., i cleanse and then apply a tiny dab of benzaclin on my chin. i just bought the neutrogena age shield sunblock with helioplex spf30 - i've tried so hard to get in the habit of putting on sunscreen everyday, but EVERYTHING breaks me out. you'd think at 49 that i would have outgrown that problem my now - not so. :cry: keep your fingers crossed that this works!

good luck to you, VTmom[/quote

Thanks VTmom! and likewise. I find the PC products aren't bad for the money, and initially when I started to use her stuff about a year ago, my mom was the first to notice an improvement in my skin tone, etc. However, I have to admit, I'm very inconsistent with my routines and would probably get better results if I did things DAILY like I'm supposed to. That's why I started incorporating the PC 10% AHA Skin Lotion in the morning, to see if combining the AHA in the morning and the BHA at night with the Retin-A I get better results.
    I wonder if I should try the reverse: Use the Retin-A on the cleansed skin FIRST, letting it sit for 30 or so, then applying the BHA on top of that. Has anyone experimented with reversing the products like mentioned here?
    Hair 3a/3b.
    alim1216 wrote:
    VTmom wrote:
    alim1216 wrote:

Alim

hi alim,

good luck to you, VTmom[/quote

Thanks VTmom! and likewise. I find the PC products aren't bad for the money, and initially when I started to use her stuff about a year ago, my mom was the first to notice an improvement in my skin tone, etc. However, I have to admit, I'm very inconsistent with my routines and would probably get better results if I did things DAILY like I'm supposed to. That's why I started incorporating the PC 10% AHA Skin Lotion in the morning, to see if combining the AHA in the morning and the BHA at night with the Retin-A I get better results.
    I wonder if I should try the reverse: Use the Retin-A on the cleansed skin FIRST, letting it sit for 30 or so, then applying the BHA on top of that. Has anyone experimented with reversing the products like mentioned here?

i think you're doing it in the correct order. on Paula's website, she has various "skin care battle plans". the one for blemishes states: "As an alternative, some dermatologists recommend applying the BHA or AHA first then applying Retin-A, Differin, or Tazorac. The thought is that the BHA or AHA boosts the effectiveness by aiding penetration of the other products. Again, talk to your doctor and experiment to see which frequency, combination, and order of application works best for your skin."

what kind of sunscreen do you use?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file