Retin-A questions

Comments

• mandyvmandyv Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    mandyv wrote:
    No, no redness, just stinging under my eyes. I'll keep using it unless I see redness or flaking.

I spoke too soon. There is serious stinging and redness now under my eyes, so I haven't used it in a few days. And now the wrinkles are more pronounced :( I think my astringent is too strong.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • LongcurlsLongcurls Posts: 23Registered Users
    Hopefully you aren't putting the retin a under your eyes it will burn the delicate skin there. What type of astringent are you using? Does it have benzoyl peroxide in it?
    3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hopefully you aren't putting the retin a under your eyes it will burn the delicate skin there.

I use Retin-A under my eyes. On my upper eyes too. That's where I need it most. It doesn't burn me.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Curl Neophyte Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a Retin-A user(I don't think my sensitive skin would tolerate it too well), but from what I've seen discussed on skincare boards about it, is to go SLOW with introducing it to your skin, like every third night at first for awhile until the skin gets accustomed, then every other night if your skin will tolerate it, working up to nightly applications. Some folks are only able to do 2-3 times a week, period. And the rest of the routine really has to be simple, unless you have bullet-proof skin, so to speak. As in a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser, a bland, simple, but rich moisturizer(like Cetaphil, Eucerin, Aquaphor, or even Nivea Creme)and most importantly, a good sunblock(at least a SPF 30, no matter what), as your skin WILL be more sun-sensitive, as well as more sensitive in general. There's a reason it's prescribed - it's strong stuff! Also, avoid the eye area if you are at all sensitive, and yes, you will get some redness and possibly peeling, those are normal reactions. I would suggest no astringent either, because your skin will dry out from the Retin-A anyway. Renova is a somewhat more moisturizing form of Retin-A.
    But definitely if things are getting very uncomfortable for you, back off until your skin heals, and really space out the applications. Then again, lots of folks are not candidates for prescription products. YMMV.
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Good suggestions, Cara4curls!

I would not use an astringent around the eyes period. And I don't recommend using alcohol-based products if you're also using retinoids or Retin-A. Or basically at all.
  • mandyvmandyv Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using not my usual Clear & Clean astringent for sensitive skin but Biore which is too harsh. I healed my skin by laying off the retin A for a few days and using shea oil and it's almost back to normal and I'm using the retin A again. Without the harsh astringent, I'm fine.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hopefully you aren't putting the retin a under your eyes it will burn the delicate skin there.

I use Retin-A under my eyes. On my upper eyes too. That's where I need it most. It doesn't burn me.

I should be getting the Retin-A from Mexico in a few days. I actually bought some in Mexico about 3 years ago (I live about 35 miles from Tijuana), but they are getting a lot stricter about taking medications across the border. Ordering it is a lot easier.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I got mine. It's funny how you can only find info about galderma's retacnyl on the company's Latin America pages (in Spanish).

I'm pretty excited. Cautiously excited. I put a tiny amount of the .025% cream on my left temple, which can be covered with hair if there's an unsightly reaction. So far no warmth, burning, tingling. See how that goes for a week before I broaden the application area. (and I already violated in instructions by not washing my hands after applying).

Got some of the higher concentrations, too, just to try...these tubes are BIG!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    I've been using it almost every night since I got it (the .05%) with no problems. My skin is used to peels and I started using Weleda Skin Food as a moisturizer and I think that is helping. The Weleda is helping a lot with my fingernails. They look a lot less dry and the ridges are going away since I started using that stuff. I use it on my face and body.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I buy me Retin A cream from a canadian pharmacy called 4 Corners. I've had no trouble at all with them and it's a lot less expensive than buying it here. It's cheaper to just buy it from them than it is for me to use my insurance to get it here.

I think retinoids are great but you may find that they are too irritating for your skin in the beginning. I had trouble with them in the past and could never get past the peeling and irritation. Then a couple of years ago I started using a high strength retinol (Green Cream or Skinceuticals) cream and just gradually worked my way up to the prescription strengths.

Good luck,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    Here's another question...

For those of you using a gel, do you find it easier to apply & distribute?

The cream I have is pretty thick & pastey, & doesn't spread easily. I think I may be putting more on than I would with a gel. The Green Cream and Retinol Complex that I used previously were fairly fluid and it was easy to make a "squirt" cover the whole face.

Other than a blizzard of flaking localized to my chin (and which forced me to apply Neutrogena hand cream to my face--nothing else worked!) I'm loving this stuff.
    formerly Castella
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    You can try adding your pea size blob or retin a to a drop or two of whatever serum works with your skin to make it spread more easily but this may slightly reduce the effectiveness of the retin a. I've used Skinceuticals B5 serum or their Phyto serum in the past and they both seemed to work well.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    Just a followup...I've been using the Retin-A cream for a while now and the verdict is:

I LOVE IT.

This has made a world of difference on my skin. It just looks and feels so much better. I'm not someone who is overly fussy about appearance (little to no makeup, no pierced ears, casual clothes etc) but I have to admit, this time last year when I looked in the mirror I just felt old. Really really old. I remember sitting at a table with a bunch of women and we were all staring at each other with expressions of shock and horror and saying "I look in the mirror and it's my mother looking back!" etc.

After revamping my skin care regime, I'm much happier with what I see...fewer lines & wrinkles, fewer blemishes, and a more lively complexion. And I FEEL better.

Sooooooooo...I never thought a hair site would lead me to a skin product, and I never thought retin-A would work for my skin, a lot of learning & good surprises along the way! Thanks to RedCatWaves & SuZenGuide and everyone else for the good information!
    formerly Castella
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I'm glad to hear you are having such good results. I ordered some from the website RedCatWaves suggested & I'm still waiting to get it in. How often are you using it & what strength is yours? I ordered the .05%.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    I think it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive.

I ordered a tube of the 0.05 and a tube of the 0.025. I started with the 0.025 and just last week broke out the 0.05. I find the cream kind of hard to spread, so I mix it as best as I can with some biokelp ferment (which is gloppy like aloe). I think I'll try the gel with the next order.

I'm also being far more consciencious about applying sunscreen, I've backed off most cleansers, and I moisturize more to compensate for the dryness caused by the retin-a.

I still get good results from retinol / retinyl palmate products when I use those (like when I'm traveling, it's convenient to get a sample size of a retinol product and take that).
    formerly Castella
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks to RedCatWaves & SuZenGuide and everyone else for the good information!

You're very welcome. I'm glad it's helping you. I have moved up to the strongest strength, 0.1% cream, morning and night. I have no irritation or peeling at all...probably because my skin is so used to being totally exfoliated. The higher strength has made my skin so smooth, it's unbelievable.

The gel is much easier to apply than the cream. I don't want to dilute my product with any other lotions or serums, so I find that if I apply my Retin-A cream right after washing my face when I'm still just a tiny bit damp, I'm able to distribute that "pea size" dollop over my whole face. This shouldn't be attempted by anyone experiencing irritation...the manufacturer suggests waiting 30 minutes after cleansing to apply Retin-A for those who are more sensitive.
  • snaphunksnaphunk Posts: 82Registered Users
    I have to jump on the Retin-A bandwagon here. I've been using it almost 2 months now and I love it. My face was very irritated at first, but now has adjusted. I have noticed an evening out of my skin tone, fine lines are less noticeable, and my breakouts are subsiding(finally, I'm only 40 afterall!) I'm really lucky because my insurance covers it, too. Thanks for the info and tips on using it.
    Mine finally came in but it came registered mail & I wasn't home to sign for it. There's no way I can get to the Post Office during the week & they are only open on Saturdays from 9am to 10am. Unfortunately, I have to work this Saturday from 9am to 1pm. I think they will hold onto it for 15 days, so hopefully it will still be there next Saturday.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    Oh crap, I probably forgot to mention that MedsMex.com always requires a signature for delivery. Sorry about that.

With my last Retin-A order, I got a tube of Tri-Luma ($55 for a TINY 15 gram tube!), for my hyperpigmentation. I had gotten most of it lightened by using a kojic acid serum, but I had some stubborn stuff that just wouldn't go away. I've been using Tri-Luma for about a month now, and the dark areas are completely GONE! I'm very happy. I use it just at night on clean bare skin. I think now I'll just use it once a week for maintenance, since you aren't supposed to use Tri-Luma continuously forever. Tri-Luma is a combination of 0.05% Retin-A, 4% hydroquinone, and a cortisone.
    Oh crap, I probably forgot to mention that MedsMex.com always requires a signature for delivery. Sorry about that.

With my last Retin-A order, I got a tube of Tri-Luma ($55 for a TINY 15 gram tube!), for my hyperpigmentation. I had gotten most of it lightened by using a kojic acid serum, but I had some stubborn stuff that just wouldn't go away. I've been using Tri-Luma for about a month now, and the dark areas are completely GONE! I'm very happy. I use it just at night on clean bare skin. I think now I'll just use it once a week for maintenance, since you aren't supposed to use Tri-Luma continuously forever. Tri-Luma is a combination of 0.05% Retin-A, 4% hydroquinone, and a cortisone.

No problem. It seems like anything I order online has been sent registered mail. :)
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

So would you use Retin-A over the Tri-Luma? The Retin-A is working well for my spots, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of couple of them faster.
    So would you use Retin-A over the Tri-Luma? The Retin-A is working well for my spots, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of couple of them faster.

You can, but Tri-Luma already has Retin-A in it.
    I finally got my Retin-A!!! :D I'll start using it tonight. I'm going to start with 3 xs per week until my skin adjusts to it.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    I'm on my 2nd week using this on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday nights. No irritation so far & I am already seeing results. I have a large magnifying mirror and I check my face in it everyday. I know, I know, I'm crazy. :lol: I'm glad I am starting out slow, like RedCatWaves suggested.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    Of all the expensive junk I smear on my face, Retin-A has made the biggest difference in my skin. I'm up to using the highest dosage (0.1%) twice a day, and my skin is dreamy, creamy, and wonderful. Really...it's as soft as a baby's bottom, and my pores are smaller and not a single clog anywhere. I've pretty much stopped using all my other expensive potions. I have zero irritation from it, which is a big difference in what I used to have from Retin-A when I used it years ago (I used to peel like an onion from it). I think my lack of irritation is because I have healed my skin barrier over the last 2 years by stopping using any detergent cleansers.

My routine these days consists of cleansing, Retin-A, and then a bit of emu oil mixed with copper peptides, twice a day.
    RedCatWaves, I feel this will be my fountain of youth. Thank you so much for all your info & instructions. It's so nice that you have shared all the info you have learned thru your experimentations. It's so nice that there are women out there like you. :) I wish you lived closer. I feel we would be great friends.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    RedCatWaves, I feel this will be my fountain of youth. Thank you so much for all your info & instructions. It's so nice that you have shared all the info you have learned thru your experimentations. It's so nice that there are women out there like you. I wish you lived closer. I feel we would be great friends.

It'll be a trickle of youth anyway...time gets us all in the end. :wink:

That's very sweet of you to say. Thank you. I wish I had more of a bio-chemistry background, because then I'd have more clout behind my words when I tell women that the cosmetic industry is lying to them. There are very few things that "work" when it comes to good skin, and none of them come from the cosmetics counter in either the high-end or low-end stores, and in fact most of those things actually harm skin.
    RedCatWaves...our skin care regiment may not may us look younger, but it will make us look better in our "golden years." I'm not expecting miracles. I just want to look the best I can at any age I am. I'm also sick of the companies offering miracles to the Baby Boomers that don't work other then to empty our pocket books.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    ...our skin care regiment may not may us look younger, but it will make us look better in our "golden years." I'm not expecting miracles. I just want to look the best I can at any age I am.

That's my plan as well.
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    I have a question RCW: does one require a prescription to get these products from Mexico? I believe in the case of the Canadian pharmacies, many require prescriptions, which I haven't a hope in hell of getting.

I have been using Retin A on and off for about 15 years. Broke out in juvenile cystic acne at the ripe old age of 32. The dermatologist I had at the time put me on retin a several times a day with the benzoyl peroxide, etc. My poor skin looked just shy of raw meat for about two weeks and the zits that were bubbling up were disgusting. But it passed and I continued with my tx for several years until he retired. Near the end of my treatment he had me on Retina A liquid which I swear was like straight acid! Whew! But my skin sure did clear up.

when I flared up again many years later, the derms I went to wouldn't Rx the Retin A. :( Finally, I found a 'source' through a friend, who could occasionally get me a tube of the 0.025, so I 'milk' the tubes FOREVER, not being able to fully reap the benefits. And I don't even want to tell you what I paid for that last tube I got! Over 5 times the cost of what they are selling the 0.025 from the weblink you provided! :evil:

Needless to say, if I can order this from Mexico w/o a problem and w/o a Rx, then I'm going to move up to the 0.05 and go to town! Wahoo! :)

BTW SueZen: I also frequent Paula Begouin's website, get the free e-newletters and use a number of her products. Like you, I don't necessarily agree with EVERYTHING she says, but she does do thorough research, and I find her products are pretty darn good quality for the price. Did you happen to read her response to someone who wrote asking about the Robert Craig haircolor? Wasn't favorable to his product, I can tell you. I use it anyway! LOL
    Hair 3a/3b.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file