CG method causing dandruff?

geegee Registered Users Posts: 40
I started the CG method nearly a month ago. It's been a love/hate relationship. My hair is less frizzy but feels more weighed down however, it is time for a trim so it could be that. Also, I've got bad dandruff. I've always had problems with dandruff but I don't understand why I use only one cone and that's on the length of my hair. I use VO5 as my co-wash and Suave as my conditioner. I heard VO5 has lots of protein so I think that could be the problem. Would it be best if I just switch to an organic sulfate free shampoo and use it 3 times a week? Would my hair get better and still look healthy? Advice please, I'm freaking out because everyone has had luck except for me :sad1:

3a/3b curls.
Medium texture, medium porosity, and extremely protein sensitive.
Moderate CG? No harsh sulfates, limited 'cones.
Poo: L'oreal Ever Sleek
Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
Deep Condish: L'oreal Ever Pure
Styling products: Bumble & Bumble smoothing creme, Not Your Mother's Curl Creme, and Giovanni gel.

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Ok, I'll throw out some ideas and hopefully something will help!

Are you sure it's dandruff and not dry scalp? Here's some reading to give more insight: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-no-poo/67748-dandruff-vs-dry-scalp.html. It could also be build-up.

I think dry/itchy scalp is a common problem when starting CG. I had it and I still get it during the winter. It just means I need to co-wash more often and sometimes add brown sugar to the conditioner to get some extra exfoliation. If you're unsure, try a brown sugar scrub and see if it helps.

Protein can certainly lead to dryness if you're sensitive to it. Does your hair itself feel dry? A sensitivity will make hair feel like straw. Coarse hair is usually the texture that has a protein sensitivity. Be sure to read up on your texture and porosity if you haven't already. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/78318-getting-your-curl-step-step-guide.html

Oh, and not all the V05s have protein in them. I'm protein-sensitive and use the Raspberry conditioner.

It could also be build-up. How often are you co-washing? Many find that they need to co-wash more often when starting CG (like every-other day vs. 2 times a week) as the scalp adjusts to not being stripped of oils. Which silicone are you using? If you're not using something that contains a surfactant to remove it, it will most likely build-up in your hair.

I hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    It's friction that keeps your scalp clean, so be sure to scrub/massage your scalp and rinse well. You could try a scalp brush. After several years CG, I rarely use conditioner on my scalp, just on the length, but I do use a scalp brush each time I wet my hair (every 3-4 days). Some 'cones build up quicker than others, so you may have to find products without silicones.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • gemsoftheseagemsofthesea Registered Users Posts: 6
    If I do an Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinse (2tbsp vinegar in 2 cups water) in between co-wash and my regular conditioner in the shower, it really helps with that 'weighed down' feeling. I haven't had too much of a problem with constant dry scalp/dandruff, but I've read that ACV can help that too.

I like the sugar scrub that curlyjenn10 recommends also.
    3a/3b; Highly Porous/Fine Hair
    Cleanse: GTTTT, Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap w/ACV Rinse
    Cowash: VO5 Tea Therapies...all of them!
    Conditioner/Leave-in: Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner
    Styling: Kiss My Face Mousse and Gel, Herbal Essences SMU Gel, shea butter
    DT: Coconut oil and honey
    I'd rather wear jewels in my hair than anywhere else~H.Lamarr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file