I want to go no poo! Where do I start?

blackcat10071blackcat10071 Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Neophyte
Someone on this website showed me this, "Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!" The College Curly The guide says , "Before you do anything else, you must do one last wash with a sulfate-based shampoo to completly cleanse your hair of any silicones." What would be a good shampoo for doing this?
I am currently using Suave Naturals. The ingrediants are: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Ammonium Chloride, Fragrance, Hydroxpropyl Methylecellulous, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Citris Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methycholoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
Thanks for the help. :)

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    That will work! Good luck! :)
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • blackcat10071blackcat10071 Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you! :) My only worry is that the first ingrediant is also the first ingrediant of my dish soap. :/ I wouldn''t have noticed that if it weren't for the guide. What did you do when you first started being a CG?
    Yeah, that's why we ditch the sulfates and go CG :)

You do need to start out with a clean slate, or you'll run into some problems in the first month. The shampoo you use to clarify doesn't have to have sulfates in it; something with coco betaine (what we call a low-poo) will work fine. It's just cheaper to use something you already have.

I used Suave's Clarifying Shampoo when I went CG and followed it up with my first co-wash. I used a Suave Naturals Conditioner and Aussie gel as my only products for the first two months. It was good for my hair to adjust to CG and helped me when I know what my hair liked when I first started incorporating other products. Other than that - I can't really remember! I started my hair blog about 6 months into the process, so I may have written things down in the first few posts.

The other thing to look into, if you haven't already, is your texture and porosity. That will help you figure out what products will work best for your hair. I wish I had known mine when I first went CG - it would have made things so much easier :)
    CG since 6/15/08!

Thank you so much! I have that shampoo, so I guess I'll use it. :) I can get my hands on some Suave Naturals Conditioner if need be, but like you said, it'd be easier to use what I have. The conditionar I have is Pantene Nature Fusion. Would that work well? I don't think I've ever used a gel. Mainly I just use a Herbel Essences Mousse Totally Twisted. Do you personally think gels work better than mousses? I've also thought about switching to Herbel Essences Tousel Me Softly Flexible Hold Hair Spray.On the subject of texture and porosity, I'm not sure exactly what mine would be. Naturually, my hair is very, very big and frizzy. And I can't go more than two days without showering because my hair gets so oily.Thanks again. This really means the world to me. :)
    Water , Stearyl Alcohol , Cyclopentasiloxane , Cetyl Alcohol , Behenamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Cassia Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder , Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract , Zingiber Officinale Root Extract (Ginger) , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Citric Acid , Dimethicone , Glutamic Acid , Benzyl Alcohol , Fragrance , EDTA , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Yellow 5 , Orange 4

If these are the ingredients, then it wouldn't work for CG. The bolded are silicones (remember, they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane) and will build up without a shampoo to remove them. The good thing about Suave and V05 (which I use now) conditioners is that they are really cheap and do the job well. I do follow up with a richer rinse-out conditioner for moisture.

I didn't use gel either until I went CG. Now I can't live without it! It definitely has a lot to do with what your hair likes though. Some do better with mousse.

Here are some links for figuring out texture and porosity, and how to use it to your advantage: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/76250-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html

I'd venture a guess that the oily hair thing is caused by your shampoo. I used to be the same way. And it's something you'll encounter as you transition to CG. Sulfates in shampoo strip your scalp of its natural oils, so it overproduces to compensate. When you don't shampoo regularly (or in this case, at all), you can really see it. It generally takes about 4-6 weeks for the scalp to get used to not being stripped, though some don't experience a transition period at all.

And you're welcome! :) I know in the beginning it can be really hard reading so much information and trying to figure it out. If you stick with it, it'll be second-nature in no time!
    CG since 6/15/08!

• creativelicensecreativelicense Registered Users Posts: 422
    I agree with curlyjenn10, when I flat ironed my hair it would get oily and gross very quickly. Now that I stopped shampooing with sulfate shampoo the problem has completely gone away. I am still trying to settle in to a curly hair routine but my best advice is to stick with it and your hair will thank you.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
    Curlyjen10: Okay. I think I've finally got it. :)
    I spent HOURS on your blog yesterday. It really helped. Everyone pushing the fact that a lot of this is just finding what your hair likes has really inspired me, calmed me, and got me excited to start! I'll be getting some money on the 15th and will probably go out and buy either Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or one of the three VO5 products available at my Walmart (Kiwi Lime Squeeze Herbal Escape, Passion Fruit Smoothie Moisture Milks, or Herbel Escapes Strengthening Condtioner). I'm still deciding.

creativelicense: Thanks for the advice! I couldn't agree more. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file