So frustrated, advice badly needed!

ja428ja428 Registered Users Posts: 9
I have been CG since whatever my join date says over there. It went great for quite a while but now it is not so good. My hair will not clump (it was) it looks dry and gross and I am about to just give up.

I have been having terrible build up on my scalp, and have added baking soda to my co-wash about once a week. It is helping with the build up but I feel like it is stripping my hair and making it look more dry.

I think I am probably a 3b and the products that I use most often are:
Co-wash Suave Coconut (1x per week w/ baking soda)
CO - Giovanni TTTT (50% of time) Giovanni 50:50 (25%) & KBB Deep Conditioner (25%)
LI - I infrequently use KBB Hair Milk
Styler - AO b5 Design Gel

I plop with an old t-shirt and always have. I think maybe I am over conditioned and something I am using is really building up. I just want to cry because my hair looked so nice at one point in time and now here I am, looking yucky! I am babbling so thank you for making it this far. I will add a pic of what it looked like when it was "nice" if you would like.

I am pretty much willing to try any of your suggestions at this point. TYIA

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Ok, here's what I would do in your situation:

1. Shampoo to remove any build-up that's happening. It doesn't have to be a shampoo with sulfates; a low-poo will work just fine. One shampoo won't do much damage, and it sounds like you really need a clean slate.

2. DT with a good conditioner to help get some moisture back.

3. Read through the links in this post: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/78318-getting-your-curl-step-step-guide.html

Knowing your hair's properties will help SO MUCH in understanding what ingredients and products will work best for your hair. Once you figure that out, your curls will be back and better than ever.

4. Did you mean that you are currently only co-washing once a week, or just adding baking soda once a week?

If it's the first, that may be why you're having build-up issues and contributing to some of the dryness. If it's the second, that's way too often to be using baking soda. BS is extremely drying and messes with the pH balance on your scalp. If you're going to use it, follow up with an ACV rinse to balance pH. I personally stay away from baking soda.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • ja428ja428 Registered Users Posts: 9
    4. Did you mean that you are currently only co-washing once a week, or just adding baking soda once a week?

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much, I will read thru that link soon.

I am adding baking soda once a week, that seems to be the only thing that will remove the product build up on my scalp. It is itchy and really grosses me out and makes me feel dirty (dramatic enough for you! lol). I will try to find another solution to this problem or add in the ACV rinse.

Thanks again!
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    I'm wondering if you need to change co-washes? The Suave conditioners made my scalp extremely itchy. Is your hair coarse, fine, or medium? Are you scrubbing your scalp really well?
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • ja428ja428 Registered Users Posts: 9
    nandiknits wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you need to change co-washes? The Suave conditioners made my scalp extremely itchy. Is your hair coarse, fine, or medium? Are you scrubbing your scalp really well?

I think I may need a different co-wash too. I am trying to figure out right now from the link above what my texture and porosity is. From what I have read so far I think it is medium with high porosity. The hair from my crown felt rough and made a squeaky sound. I thought I was scrubbing my scalp well, but I must not be because in the past 4 months or so I am getting build up.

Thank you for your help!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    In my own experience, VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner is the most thorough co-wash I've found. If that doesn't work, I would suggest using a low-poo. Both are sulfate free cleansers, and fit the definition of (the new) *Curly Girling.*
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ForeverBlondeForeverBlonde Registered Users Posts: 17
    Can I just say, I know EXACTLY what you're going through! I have 3b curls as well and I tried and tried for months to get my hair to work with the CG method and never had any sucess. It was just too greasy and too much moisture, and my hair got SO gross. You have a lot more patience than me for continuing to try for so long. I have found that if you shampoo every once in a while, you will be completely fine. I usually cowash for two showers and then the third shower I shampoo (using a very little puddle of it) and then cowash after that. And voi la! Butiful curls once more! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file