This cough is going to kill me!

mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
I've had a bad cough for about 2 weeks now.

I am freakin' peeing my pants all day long. :shock:

If I don't keep my bladder completely empty or cross my legs when I cough/sneeze, I will dribble.

Please tell me I am not the only woman having this issue post-babies. Is there anything I can do (other than surgery which I am seriously considering)?

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Kegels?!
    hubby will like that

;-)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same problem whenever I get a cough. My pelvic floor is good most of the time, but when it's stressed with several days of coughing, I get the dribbles. It always gets better when the cough goes away, so I probably won't seriously consider surgery as long as I know there's an end in sight.

Kegels help, but they're not going to completely undo all the damage caused by 4 big pregnancies.

Cloth pads help.

I've been taking some codeine at night (vicodin from my tooth procedure last week), and codeine is an excellent cough suppressant, so at least I'm not peeing in my sleep.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I have this problem at times. I always thought my mother was exaggerating about the effects of a baby on your bladder, but she really wasn't.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wait right there!

I've had NO babies, and if I laugh or cough, or heck, sneeze hard enough, even I get some dribble. And the gyno uses a small speculum on me. So it's not just pregnancies which cause this. Not that I know what does, but I've always heard women say, "I laughed until I wet my pants." Mothers and non-mothers alike.

Just some input from a fellow piddler.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I am having the same problem. I've started doing kegels again, a lot and while it has not eliminated the dribbling completely, it has made them smaller.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    P.S. As soon as I saw the title I thought "this has to be about the peeing". Lol
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Unfortunately, aging and gravity have a negative effect on every woman's pelvic floor, mothers and non-mother's alike. There was a study done years ago, comparing urinary incontinence of non-mothers (actually nuns...virgins) and mothers, and while there was some effect from childbearing on the younger women's incontinence, especially those who had damaging vaginal deliveries, once they got to menopause age and beyond, they were exactly the same.

So, having c-sections won't save you from peeing yourself as an old lady, and not having children at all won't save you either.

So, do your kegels. Preferably during sex. I hear bellydancing is the BEST pelvic floor exercise.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I have this problem also when I get a bad cough, sometimes when I sneeze.
    I hate kegels. I think I'd rather wet my pants.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh gosh Mad Scientist can I relate.. I've had this same problem ever since Liam was born over 4 years ago.

and I have more than a dribble... When people ask me why I don't want to go thru another pregnancy to get "my girl" to add to my boys I tell them without getting too into details

"Nope, My body can't handle it" - It can't handle another BIG BABY Liam was 8lbs 9oz and Colin was 9lbs 3oz.. the chances of a baby #3 being close to that or bigger is pretty good.

I've tried Kegels which worked a tad but not like i was hoping

so my heart goes out to you ms!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I hate kegels. I think I'd rather wet my pants.
    Just practice whenever you're having an encounter...
    guys love it.

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

Meh. They can take me as I am or not at all.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Coughing doesn't do this to me, but barfing does. I got massively sick on Christmas day and this happened to me. I felt like the most undignified mess ever.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    I once vomited and went #2 at the same time.

Next stop: hospital.
    I'm sorry I'm laughing...wow....that's never happened to me......I thought farting was bad...

nd...maybe the guys don't mind a golden shower :D
    sorry..my sick soh

0004.gif

Well, geez! It's not like I wee on them.

If a guy ever made me laugh that much during sex, well.......gosh. I'm really not sure how to finish that statement.

I believe I'll try to stop picturing that scenario in my mind now, thanks.
  • LL~2009LL~2009 Posts: 146Registered Users
    Here's some new info and good stuff that'll get ya away from the dreaded kegals and also lifting the bottom.. plus apparently a little help in the surprise pee's. Keeping Your Body in Balance: Squats and Pelvic Floor Strength | Sweet Sprouts Birth Services
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
  • LL~2009LL~2009 Posts: 146Registered Users
    oh and click on the links to fully understand :study:
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
    Thanks!
    LL~2009 wrote: »
    Here's some new info and good stuff that'll get ya away from the dreaded kegals and also lifting the bottom.. plus apparently a little help in the surprise pee's. Keeping Your Body in Balance: Squats and Pelvic*Floor*Strength | Sweet Sprouts Birth Services

Those were really interesting discussions, especially in the comments section. I think I'm going to try the kegels-while-squatting thing (and just plain old squatting) a few times a day and see if I can improve my pelvic floor and maybe my glutes. I'm pretty sure that humans evolved to spend a lot of time squatting and western civilization has really screwed with that adaptation.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I've had a bad cough for about 2 weeks now.

I am freakin' peeing my pants all day long. :shock:

If I don't keep my bladder completely empty or cross my legs when I cough/sneeze, I will dribble.

Please tell me I am not the only woman having this issue post-babies. Is there anything I can do (other than surgery which I am seriously considering)?

If it's bad enough that you are considering surgery, have you tried pelvic floor physical therapy? I have different pelvic floor issues but I found PT to be very helpful. I think that what most women think of as "doing kegels" probably isn't very helpful if you have an issue like that. Just doing a few quick kegels now and then when you think of it probably isn't going to cut it. My PT had me do different types of kegels, holding them for different periods of time, etc. A key to doing effective kegels is to focus not just on flexing your muscles but also completely relaxing them as much as possible between each one, which a lot of people don't do.

Do you have diastasis recti (abdominal muscle separation)? My physical therapist also told me that this can significantly weaken your pelvic floor muscles, so you might need to do some exercises for that as well if it's an issue.

GL
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file