Do I just not look good with curly hair?

curly_sarahcurly_sarah Posts: 1Registered Users
Hey everyone! ^_^ Before I can really get into my hair issues, I think I should give some curly hair background. Until middle school, I really had no idea that my hair was so curly, believe it or not. I'd just brush it while wet and it would dry into this frizzy mess. Then I stopped by a curly hair specialty salon and, viola! My curls were set free.

But my curly hairstyle didn't seem to work out (I stuck to it for about two years). My hair was totally flat on top and I just didn't think it flattered me. SO, this year, I started straightening it - and was rather horrified to see the damage done to my hair after just a month and a half of not using any heat-protection spray. Plus, it took forever with all the hair I have...to the point where I was late for school sometimes due to straightening it.

Now I'm going to try my curls again...but it seems like whenever I go for the "all curly" look (that means I don't pull back some hair off the top for a sleeker, straighter outer layer) I just...don't like my hair. =/ I think it makes me look juvenile and unattractive. Am I doing something wrong? My hair actually has volume on top and the curls lack frizz. Is it my hair cut? I just don't know what to do, and I'm on the verge of giving up again.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey everyone! ^_^ Before I can really get into my hair issues, I think I should give some curly hair background. Until middle school, I really had no idea that my hair was so curly, believe it or not. I'd just brush it while wet and it would dry into this frizzy mess. Then I stopped by a curly hair specialty salon and, viola! My curls were set free.

But my curly hairstyle didn't seem to work out (I stuck to it for about two years). My hair was totally flat on top and I just didn't think it flattered me. SO, this year, I started straightening it - and was rather horrified to see the damage done to my hair after just a month and a half of not using any heat-protection spray. Plus, it took forever with all the hair I have...to the point where I was late for school sometimes due to straightening it.

Now I'm going to try my curls again...but it seems like whenever I go for the "all curly" look (that means I don't pull back some hair off the top for a sleeker, straighter outer layer) I just...don't like my hair. =/ I think it makes me look juvenile and unattractive. Am I doing something wrong? My hair actually has volume on top and the curls lack frizz. Is it my hair cut? I just don't know what to do, and I'm on the verge of giving up again.

Thanks in advance :)

Do you have any pics? They will give us a better chance of determining the problem :)
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If it's just the flat top part of the look that you didn't like, there are definitely remedies for that! Post pics and let us know what you don't like. Curls are awesome, they just require work!
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• SujiSuji Posts: 87Registered Users
    I second posting a pic, if you don't mind. It would help us help you out. :) The haircut can determine your appearance a lot. Maybe longer side pieces, bangs (curly or straightened), or even changing your part or adding some accessories could change your look. I have side bangs and I'm not too happy with my appearance without them!
    -2b/2cFi-ii, med pososity?.
    no silicones/sulfates, but lowpoo 1x week (GTTT)
    GVP CB or LVP Glossy Volume; Curl Junkie Smoothing Gellie, AG Re:Coil, HE Mousse.
    still on a mission to find my hg combo.. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file