Essure Procedure

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Have any of you had the Essure procedure done or had friends who have had it?

Is it painful? Any side effects from the procedure?

I'm looking to do the Essure procedure instead of my hubby having a vasectomy. We had several friends have a vasectomy with long term issues. So I'm looking at an alternative.

Essure is like an in-office tubal. Basically permanent birth control with no hormones. They place 2 small devices in your tubes and over 3 months scar tissue forms and your tubes are blocked.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• Maxs MomMaxs Mom Posts: 64Registered Users
    I work in an OB/GYN office and we do the Esssure in our office. We do not do a ton of them. The majority of patients do just fine during the procedure and have very minimal pain after. We have quite a few issues with the coils either falling out or become displaced. We find this out at the 3 month mark when the patient has her HSG to check for patency. On several occasions we have had to replace a coil. In one instance, we had to surgically remove a displaced coil. Hope this helps.
    Hilo, Hawaii
    MOD/GC since 5/08-no silicones or SLS
    2b/3a Long (waist length when wet) , THICK and course
    Lo-Poo-Jessicurl HCC,KC come clean, CJ daily fix conditioner
    Condish-Leave in-KCNT,Moisture Maniac
    Styling-re:coil, KCCC, BSRHG
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We had several friends have a vasectomy with long term issues. So I'm looking at an alternative.

Even with personal anecdotal experiences, the complication rates are far higher with all forms of female sterilization versus male sterilization. My husband knew several guys who "felt" the clips used during their vasectomies, so we found a doctor who would use sutures rather than clips. Problem solved. Vasectomy is about 1/4 the price of conventional tubal ligation. Essure is more expensive generally than TL.

Don't forget to factor in what the risks are if the procedure fails. If a vasectomy fails, all you get is pregnant. If essure fails, you get a tubal pregnancy and possibly a whole host of serious medical complications.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maxs Mom, how often does displacment or falling out of a coil occurs and they have to do the procedure again? Does anybody say it's painful during the procedure?

RCW, I've thought about a tubal..but is this any different from having your tubes tied do you think? I was planning on doing that when I had Addison but held off for fear of losing her and wanting another child. Horrid thought I know but it did cross my mind.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW, I've thought about a tubal..but is this any different from having your tubes tied do you think? I was planning on doing that when I had Addison but held off for fear of losing her and wanting another child. Horrid thought I know but it did cross my mind.

Essure is different in that you have to have a hystosalpingogram (HSG) 3 months later, to check if your tubes are blocked, and some say that is an uncomfortable procedure. So, it's a double procedure...or more...rather than one procedure. With a traditional tubal ligation, there is no checking afterwards, because they know the tubes were cut/tied/burned.

When it comes to "checking", vasectomy is still a lot easier. All that is required is ejaculating into a cup and looking for sperm under a microscope...nothing invasive like an HSG.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, I'm w/ rcw...let hubby do his part....jmho
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Maxs MomMaxs Mom Posts: 64Registered Users
    I do not know the exact statistical number but we have had a few. Yes, you go back and have the procedure done again on the side that is not blocked. The patients complain of only slight discomfort during. We medicate them prior to with anti nausea meds and pain meds. We send them home with antibiotics and pain meds. Most women are only down the day of. HSG can be uncomfortable but usually 800 MG of Advil one hour prior to is enough to help with the cramps.
    Hilo, Hawaii
    MOD/GC since 5/08-no silicones or SLS
    2b/3a Long (waist length when wet) , THICK and course
    Lo-Poo-Jessicurl HCC,KC come clean, CJ daily fix conditioner
    Condish-Leave in-KCNT,Moisture Maniac
    Styling-re:coil, KCCC, BSRHG
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    I had this procedure done a year ago after having 4 kids and a tubal pregnancy on my left tube (so I only had the right tube done). My experience was awesome! I haven't had any problems. It was quick and painless. Some mild cramping...I have had worse on my period! I was able to come home to my 4 kids and was fine after a little nap. I was having the ablation (I don't if I spelled that right) done also so I figured why have my husband go through a procedure when my doctor will be in there already. I also had several friends whose hubbies had theirs done and never went back for the final "sample" and they ended up with another baby. I wasn't going to have a 5th child because he got lazy! That's just me. Anyway, I have an AWESOME doctor and he told me there was no more risk of a tubal with the procedure than without. He said it's pretty equal and felt confident with me having one after having a tubal pregnancy on my other side without any prior procedures. So to sum it up I am all for it!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks ththd. It's nice to hear from someone who has had the procedure done.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had the procedure done 2 years ago. Mine was more complicated because my OB had to remove my Mirena. It had become lodged in my uterine wall with a large polyp grown around it. So I ended up having a D&C. That part took the longest and I guess the Essure was inserted within minutes.

I've had no negative side effects whatsoever. Now, a friend of mine with fibromyalgia was worn against it because her doctor wasn't sure how her body would react to foreign objects.

The 3-month dye ultrasound was a wee bit uncomfortable because he had to open my cervix to push the dye through, but it was cool to see the clearly defined blocks that the scar tissue made. Nothing's getting through the blockade!

ETA: Make sure that you go to an OBGYN who is certified and trained in the Essure procedure. Mine was the only one in his large practice who did these because of his training. By the time he did mine, he had about 200 under his belt.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file