dusting question

nu_natural10nu_natural10 Registered Users Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
My question is about cutting. I did it once but I flat ironed first to insure evenness. What do you think would be the best way to dust from a knot out style? I believe I read its best to cut dry hair. So should I flat iron, cut, wash then style or wash, dry, cut, re wet then style? My bando (sp) knots come out better when I do them wet.
Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil

Comments

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Registered Users Posts: 955
    I initially had some of the same concerns as u ab self dusting/trimming. One of the main reasons I began transitioning was bc I was just not treating my hair well & I was constantly perming it, slapping a quick weave on,& letting my hair be(bc I had no clue what to do w/my own hair bc it was so damaged & I could not afford constant salon visits).

It made absolutely no sense to continue on this path w/no improvement in my own hair. Plus I just didn't want to perm anymore so I began searching for something new.

Long story short I began researching everything including dusting/trimming so that I could be self-reliant and not have a fit if I couldn't make it/afford to go to the salon.

Needless to say I would not suggesst immediately trimming/dusting ur hair directly from any kind of 'out style' (bantu, braid or twist). Your hair would not be completely detangled and this would result in uneveness.

I personally wash, condition, deep treat & then begin styling my bantu knots. After I have applied my leave in to damp hair, I detangle again with a wide tooth & then a rat tail comb & then twist a section of hair. Then holding the twist I look at the ends & lightly dust if needed then continue to place my twist in a knot afterwards .

I would suggesst lightly dusting all of ur hair if it is ur first time dusting & then as u continue ur transtion only dusting the areas that need to be. With practice u will easily be able to see what needs to be dusted & what does not. I have been transitioning for a little over 5 months and I have dusted 3 times so far. The first 2 being out of a set routine but my goal is to retain length so I only lightly dust the areas that are needed every 3months now.

I have had much success in dusting my hair this way & believe me when I say my hair was a hot mess at first! It was so dry, damaged & uneven & in just this short amount of time all of my hair has caught up w/one another & is all again past my shoulders expect for the very front which is maybe an inch away from my shoulders. Not to mention it is sooooooooooo much healthier than it has ever been and its a struggle for me now to even find an area that needs to be dusted.

HTH:flower:!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • nu_natural10nu_natural10 Registered Users Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
    I thought you was suppose to cut hair dry so you have a better idea of how much you're cutting off. But I guess you're right since at this point its not about how much is coming off as long as its even.
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Registered Users Posts: 955
    I really can't speak for those who dust/trim their hair dry however after detangling ur hair while wet & twisting it ur hair is stretched so I believe I get a better idea of how much I am really cutting off bc once it dries it shrinks bk up. Plus if u r like most of us who have many different textures in ur hair (equaling more or less shrinkage in an area when dry) u may have have more trouble evening out ur hair by cutting it that way.

As stated before I have had no trouble dusting this way & I just straightened my hair for the first time the other week & it was all perfectly even. Plus I do not think there is that much concern ab dusting this way bc if u r truly just 'dusting' u end up cutting off so little that this process definitely would not make ur hair uneven.

However do what u feel comfortable with & what u think would b best for ur hair. I personally want to apply as little heat as possible to my hair while I am transitioning & I do not wish to apply heat everytime I want to dust my ends. Compare an extra 10mins added to my wash day versus an extra hr or two just to straighten it so I can dust it?

I am going for the 10mins everytime!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • nu_natural10nu_natural10 Registered Users Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
    Aw I feel so free. Well maybe not THE big chop but a definite chop. I went to the salon this weekend and my hair is now bangs length all over. I got a sewin as my protective style. *insert happy dance*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file