Help with paint colors

divegirldivegirl Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Curl Neophyte
hello all,

I am finally tackling painting my bedroom after doing the rest of the house. I've chosen Cloudburst by Sherwin Williams:
bed1_rect540.jpg
(that's not my room)

I LOVE this color (and rich, deep colors in general). The thing is, my bedroom is an odd shape, it's about 22' x 11' (long) with low ceilings (7'). This tells me that I should paint the short walls with the Cloudburst and the long walls with a color a couple of shades lighter, like this:
19-raindrop.jpg?w=500

Is this a good idea? I really want to paint the whole room in Cloudburst but am worried it's not a good idea with the low ceilings. I also worry the lighter color is too bright for me. I've painted swatches but can't seem to make up my mind! Any help appreciated!

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, do the whole thang.......love it!!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    if you're really worried about it, paint 3 walls with a lighter colour up 2 shades on the same colour chip and paint the wall behind the bed in Cloudburst. from the info i can find on the SW Color Visualizer, the lighter shade would be Rapture Blue.

keep the baseboards, doors, window frames and ceiling in white.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Is "cloudburst" that darker blue? If so...don't do it on all the walls. I have that exact color in my bedroom, and it's also long and narrow with 7 foot ceilings, and it.is.a.frigging.cave. The previous owners did it, and I am really itching to cover it with something not so depressing.
  • divegirldivegirl Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Curl Neophyte
    Is "cloudburst" that darker blue? If so...don't do it on all the walls. I have that exact color in my bedroom, and it's also long and narrow with 7 foot ceilings, and it.is.a.frigging.cave. The previous owners did it, and I am really itching to cover it with something not so depressing.

I'm worried about the cave thing. I have four windows about the size of the larger one in the picture above so there's lots of light, but the low ceilings are a problem.

rouquinne, the lighter color is called Raindrop - it's two shades up from Cloudburst on the color chip. I just wonder if it would be too bright an aqua. I've already painted the two short walls in the Cloudburst.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I tried painting a long and narrow room a lighter shade on three walls and a darker shade on the far wall but the lighter shade was too light. I needed more contrast between the white details (and bead board) and the blue, but didn't know what to do. I was so torn. Then I pulled out some of the artwork that was going to hang in that room, held it up to the different walls, and decided the darker blue definitely looked best with the artwork.
    Here's the room. It is a lighter shade than the one you chose. The artwork that helped me decide is on the right.
    th_SDC13120.jpg th_SDC13121.jpg
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Raindrop looks like it has a lot of grey in it, so i can't see how it would be too bright.

i have to admit that i'm pretty lost when it comes to cool tones because i rarely use them!
    My blog:

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd paint the whole thing. I'd probably perceive it as being cozy, which I love.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    if you're really worried about it, paint 3 walls with a lighter colour up 2 shades on the same colour chip and paint the wall behind the bed in Cloudburst. from the info i can find on the SW Color Visualizer, the lighter shade would be Rapture Blue.

keep the baseboards, doors, window frames and ceiling in white.

Divegirl, would this be an option you'd consider, because it would definitely keep the room from looking like a "cave?" However, this makes the paint job trickier and more time consuming. Another option is to paint the room one shade lighter and paint the baseboards, doors, window frames and ceiling in the cloudburst color. This is a new look that some decorators are using in smaller rooms. I learned about this at an Ethan Allen color seminar.

An important factor to think about is when you spend most time in that room. At night? Do you have good indoor lighting? Do you have lots of wattage or just the one lamp? If you aren't in your bedroom a lot during the day, the fact that it gets lots of daylight isn't that important - it's the night look that matters most.

Also, if you paint with a slight sheen, like an eggshell finish rather than flat matte, the color will look brighter and livelier but still fine for a bedroom.
    Please let us know what you decide :flower:

ETA - Also agree with Cynaminbear: artwork makes a big difference.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    Short walls : Dark
    Long Walls: Light

My room is pretty small (high ceilings though!) and having a dark colour on all walls made my room horrid!! It was tiny!
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I love the cloudburst, but it could be too dark for a small room. I have to say, I really don't like the accent wall thing. I prefer all of the walls to be the same color. curlypearl had a good idea about the lighter color on the walls and the baseboard in the cloudburst that might be pretty.

We have our TV room in a dark red which I really like for that room, but it absorbs light like crazy and makes the room dark at night. Since it is a TV room that is ok, but if it was a bedroom it would be bothersome.
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    Short walls : Dark
    Long Walls: Light

My room is pretty small (high ceilings though!) and having a dark colour on all walls made my room horrid!! It was tiny!

I disagree. I think it should be the exact opposite. If you paint the short walls dark, they will look deeper and further away and the long walls will look like they are closing in on you, creating a tunnel effect. If you do this, I suggest painting the long walls, or ONE long wall dark to "push it out" and make the room appear wider. I think it is a huge misconception that dark colors make a room smaller. They actually make it appear larger if used appropriately.
    I suggest painting the long walls, or ONE long wall dark to "push it out" and make the room appear wider.

yep!

that's why i think it should be the wall behind the bed!

:D
    My blog:

• misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    The color you have chosen is pretty. Low ceilings alone should not determine whether or not to paint the walls a deep shade, imo. There are other factors to consider such as natural light, room lighting, color of flooring, furniture, and bedding colors. The pic in your first post is a good example of what I mean. When it works, it works.

Personally, I like the drama of deeper colors in bedrooms.

If you can pull it off and more importantly, if you like the look, then I say - Go For It! :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • divegirldivegirl Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks all. I always thought that lighter colors made the walls appear to recede, which is why you would paint the long walls a lighter shade. My bed is against one of the short walls...

Here is the realtor's photo of my room.
    4501090971_5ce418c9e0.jpg

The picture is taken from where my bed is. The molding and trim/frames are all going to remain white. The furnishings are mostly dark brown (which looks great with the teal paint) and white - curtains are dark brown, bedding is brown/light blue. Photos and artwork have brown frames and white mats.

I'm leaning towards painting the whole room in the Cloudburst. I really love it and that's the most important thing, right?
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Where the tan is, put the cloudburst!:flower:
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    What a beautiful room! It appears to have abundant natural light. The floors are beautiful as well.

I think Cloudburst will look stunning in there. And loving it is important! :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    misspam wrote: »
    What a beautiful room! It appears to have abundant natural light. The floors are beautiful as well.

I think Cloudburst will look stunning in there. And loving it is important! :flower:

I agree. Cloudburst on all walls!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    misspam wrote: »

I agree. Cloudburst on all walls!

Me too! I love dark colors on walls no matter the size or shape of the room.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree as well -- paint all the walls Cloudburst! That is a big enough room and there is a lot of light. I don't think it would be that much of a contrast than the current color anyway, and it looks fine. :)

Besides, you can always repaint if you hate it later. :D But I think you'll love it, esp with all the other furnishing colors.

We will definitely need photos of this room when you are done! With all the trimmings in place. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • emilibarnemilibarn Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte

Oh nice, I like the colour combination that you want to paint your bedroom. Recently I completed my home painting with the help of House Painters Auckland [https://paintitperfect.co.nz/house-painting/]. I am pleased with the service of the company. They also completed my home painting in less amount.If you want more information, like advanced colour combinations, you can contact them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file