Cleanser Reqs -- specific

DieselDiesel Posts: 27Registered Users
Hi all :)

I know there has to be a-thousand-and-one threads on this topic, but I've searched and found exactly zero. I need some cleanser reqs, but I'm looking for specific things:

1) SLS free. My scalp is very, very sensitive, and I find this ingredient way too drying and irritating.

2) Cleansing. Number one being said, my scalp does its best work when it's cleaned on a regular basis. Not the strip-off-the-top-layer-of-skin clarifying shampoo type clean, but not the slap-conditioner-on-my-scalp-then-rinse-off type clean, either. Something that will clean (dirt, sweat, applied conditioner and oils ), but still leave plenty of hydration behind.

3) Doesn't need to be used frequently to accomplish number 2. In other words, it works whether it's cleaning one week of dirty hair, or two.

4) Detangling and conditioning.

5) Nothing Giovanni or Trader Joes.

I've been looking at the cleansing creams by Jessicurl, Curls and Blended Beauty, the shampoos by MyHoneyChild, and I have some samples of Curl Junkie Daily Fix and Devacurl No Poo and Low Poo on the way.

Any suggestions? Or if someone could point me out to a thread going over all of this, I would really appreciate it.
Hair type: Kinks and Curls

Comments

• kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    How about shampoo bars? Or Dr. Bronner's Shampoo
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • DieselDiesel Posts: 27Registered Users
    ^^ The thing about shampoo bars is, I don't want to have to do that vinegar rinse. Dr. Bronner's might be okay...do you find it harsh at all?

Thanks for the reply btw! :)
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    Have you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean? Or Alaffia? The first is a very good cleaner. The second is very moisturizing.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Heya:

Haven't tried it, unfortunately, but it's received some good reviews around.

You can check out this post, hope it helps.

Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap Review | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

and this video might be useful too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_QZTxsN0Y&feature=related

Sorry I couldn't be that useful

:)
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    Now I'm a gal that loves my poo bars, in fact i have over 32 different ones. Since I don't have hard water and I use a shower head filter I don't need to do a ACV. I do one maybe once every 2 months and I either make my own herbal blend, use HairVeda ACV balance rinse or use my NjoiCreations ACV poo bar.

But I do still like my liquid shampoos and when I go swimming I use my liquid ones. I have the DevaCurl Noo Poo and Low Poo in my arsenal and I have Oyin Honey Wash. Those are my two main liquid shampoos.

Kinky Curly Come Clean strips my hair too much for me, but my mother loves it (she's a 3c/4a with dry hair from chemo treatments).

I tried the JBCO Shampoo and it leaves a coating on my hair that I don't always like. i only use this when I'm doing a castor oil challenge on the hair boards.

I have tried California Baby from Whole Foods and drugstore.com and it's ok, just ok.
    Have you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean? Or Alaffia? The first is a very good cleaner. The second is very moisturizing.

No, I haven't tried either one of those. I have tried plain black soap (which is what I think is in Alaffia) and I remember LOVING the smell, but not why I stopped using it. I believe I've seen samples of the shampoo at Whole Foods...I'm going to try that one. Thank you!
    kayb wrote: »
    Heya:

Haven't tried it, unfortunately, but it's received some good reviews around.

You can check out this post, hope it helps.

Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap Review | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

and this video might be useful too

YouTube - My Product Review: Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap

Sorry I couldn't be that useful

:)

Heck, you responded. That is useful! :) Thank you for the info. I'm going to check it out now.
    Now I'm a gal that loves my poo bars, in fact i have over 32 different ones. Since I don't have hard water and I use a shower head filter I don't need to do a ACV. I do one maybe once every 2 months and I either make my own herbal blend, use HairVeda ACV balance rinse or use my NjoiCreations ACV poo bar.

But I do still like my liquid shampoos and when I go swimming I use my liquid ones. I have the DevaCurl Noo Poo and Low Poo in my arsenal and I have Oyin Honey Wash. Those are my two main liquid shampoos.

Kinky Curly Come Clean strips my hair too much for me, but my mother loves it (she's a 3c/4a with dry hair from chemo treatments).

I tried the JBCO Shampoo and it leaves a coating on my hair that I don't always like. i only use this when I'm doing a castor oil challenge on the hair boards.

I have tried California Baby from Whole Foods and drugstore.com and it's ok, just ok.

Hey makeupvixen -

Thank you for the post. 32 shampoo bars? Wow! I do have hard water, but I also use a shower filter, so maybe I should try my Chagrin Valley samples again minus the AVC rinse and see what happens.

DerbyCityNaturals mentioned KC Come Clean too, but the stuff just looks drying to me. I know that sounds pretty dumb, but after awhile, you get sort of instinctual about these things :)
    So nobody has tried any of the cleansers I mentioned in my op? Besides No Poo and Low Poo?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My favorite cleanser is AllNutrient ClarpHx Clarifying shampoo - it has no sulfates. uses chelating amino acids to clean (which rinse right out) and doesn't strip my hair but does a good cleaning job (I use some products with silicones). My second favorite is a soap bar - Theraneem Maximum strength soap with ylang ylang and sweet orange. The max. strength is 20% neem. It's a good bar for hair washing although it wasn't made for that.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've used several cleansing creams and here is my issue with them ALL...

When you compair the quanity (usually 8oz) with the price (minimum $12-15) with the amount used (at least the amount I use) it just isn't economical. With the curls cleasing creme, I can use the entire thing in 3 weeks washing 2x a week. That's 6 washes MAX. Honestly, there's just not that much difference between washing with a conditioner and the cleansing cremes execpt that its easier on the wallet (at least for me).

My suggestion would be to try a clarifying conditioner (like suave or V05) and use that to wash with. That way, its a bit more cleansing than regular conditioner for your scalp. I also use a shampoo brush on my scalp with my clarifying conditioners and it gets all the gunk off my scalp without the use of sulfates. i do use a sulfate shampoo about 1x a month, but I do use some silicone and mineral oil containing products.

Good luck
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Thank you Suburbanbushbabe and Nappy_Curly_Crown! Some really great suggestions :)
  • growingitlonggrowingitlong Posts: 122Registered Users
    My favorite cleanser is AllNutrient ClarpHx Clarifying shampoo - it has no sulfates. uses chelating amino acids to clean (which rinse right out) and doesn't strip my hair but does a good cleaning job (I use some products with silicones). My second favorite is a soap bar - Theraneem Maximum strength soap with ylang ylang and sweet orange. The max. strength is 20% neem. It's a good bar for hair washing although it wasn't made for that.

Hi there,

Do you mind me asking where you purchase this and if whether or not it contains glycerin?

Thanks in advance for your response
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    (usually 8oz) with the price (minimum $12-15) with the amount used (at least the amount I use) it just isn't economical. With the curls cleasing creme, I can use the entire thing in 3 weeks washing 2x a week. That's 6 washes MAX.

THAT IS THE TRUTH! Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm finding mine to be pretty much the same. Everywhere I go, I keep seeing these tiny bottles of conditioners and I'm just like... :shock:... I just want to wash my hair... I know with thicker conditioners a little goes a long way, but NOT 10x less! Jeez. Sometimes I feel like too many people are being suckered into marketing shenanigans. I will not spend $2/ounce just to wash my hair unless it will instantly grow my hair 2 inches. Thanks. :confused4:
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    Have you tried shea moisture shampoos? I think all are sulfate free.

My personal favorite is elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file