Hot mess!

Hello all! I am brand-spanking-new to this whole CG system, thanks to a friend of mine. We used to have very similar hair- very thick and straight. When we got together for coffee the other day her hair was full of beautiful wavy curls. I commented on it and was shocked when she told me it was natural! She had discovered the CG method and told me about it and how as the months progressed (it's been about 10 months for her), her hair got curlier and curlier. She suggested to me that my hair may be the same way because it has a slight natural wave already to it, more so when I let it air dry.

I want to see if my hair has that curl potential, so I ordered the CG book on Amazon and, using the tips I've found on this website, I've been using the no-poo method for three days now. Good news is I think my hair does have potential- the waves are getting a little tighter, and that's encouraging. However, overall my hair looks awful. It looks frizzy and stringy. Is the no brushing rule just for when I have actual curls, or should I apply it now? Am I not using enough conditioner and that's why I have so much frizz? I've seen MANY before/after pics on here, but all of them were of people who already had some waves and curl to begin with. Since my hair was pretty straight (while using shampoo and other products), is this something I even have hope for? I'll stick with my mess of hair if I know it's temporary, but I don't want to waste my time! Thanks for any help!

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    There's a motto in the Curly Girl book that every wavy should memorize: "Where there's a wave, there's a curl." What this means is that most of us wavies have potential that we didn't even know was there. I used to have curls when I was little, but they were most likely baby curls and they disappeared after my first haircut. I was left with really thick, straight hair that always had volume and a slight wave to it. I had always wanted wavy hair, and I got it, because after a few years, my curls came back. What I didn't know was that they were always there -- I was just destroying them with my brush and blowing them out of proportion with my hair dryer. Now I am on the CG method and I have wavy curls.

People with wavy or curly hair of any kind should either throw their brush out or give it to some naturally straight friend or ask someone to hide it. ;) Brushes + wavy hair = one HUGE poofy mess. Brushes also damage our hair and cause unwanted frizz. The only safe way to comb our hair is with a wide tooth comb, and even this should only be done when your hair is wet and saturated in conditioner. This may seem rediculous (believe me, I was a brush addict at one point!), but not brushing is healthier and safer for our hair than regular brushing.

Your description of your "frizzy, stringy, greasy hair" is what we curlies on here call the CG (curly girl) transition period. We all go through something like this when our hair gets used to a CO-washing method. Sometimes it takes months before our hair stops looking worse and starts looking better. Our hair is so used to regular stripping from the sulfates in shampoo that it over-produces oil until it gets used to the far gentler cleansers in the conditioner. Just make sure your conditioner and styling products don't have silicones in them ('cones for short), because these can build up on your hair and can only be removed by sulfates. 'Cones end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. Even if they were in your final sulfate wash, they will still give you problems.

Good luck! I hope all of this info makes sense, and I hope your hair starts looking better!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • storybookendingsstorybookendings Posts: 18Registered Users
    Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate the encouragement. Once my hair finished drying completely I took a look at it and was actually pleasantly surprised that (at least in the back) it wasn't as bad as I thought. I will definitely keep going with the hope that in a few months I'll some naturally luscious hair ;)

I've seen one or two comments about doing a final wash of sorts before doing the co-wash. Is there a step that I missed? Or should I just continue with the co-wash?
    You didn't miss a step, as long as you were washing with sulfates before. We just call this the final sulfate wash. As long as your shampoo and conditioner were sulfate-containing and 'cone free, you're good, and you can continue right along with your CO-washing. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Update! My hair is definitely getting some curl to it!! Woot! I think I may have even convinced my sister to give this a try... lol

My major hurdle still are greasy roots. Yesterday was really bad... I tried co-washing with Suave Pomegranate and conditioning with Tresemme Naturals and my hair looked horrible... like it hadn't been washed in a week. This morning I just used the Tresemme with much better results. My hair still looks a little greasy, but not nearly as bad. I'm thinking that the two conditioners were too rich for my hair, so for now I'm going to stick with just the one. I'll also give it a few weeks, but if the grease doesn't improve I think I'll add a low poo to my routine and slowly wean myself off of it. I've done a lot more reading around on the boards and it sounds like there is no wrong or right way... just experiment, live, and learn! :)
    It sounds like you're a CG pro now! Glad your hair is curling better.

There are some all natural ways to clarify on the CG method without using sulfates. You can try a baking soda scrub -- 1 tablespoon of baking soda to your regular amount of CO-washing condish -- or a vinegar rinse -- 1/4 cup of vinegar diluted in 1 cup of water. You can just do a vinegar rinse, but if you decide to do the baking soda scrub, you MUST do a vinegar rinse afterward. Baking soda raises the cuticle and ruffles it up, and vinegar seals it back down.

And you are absolutely spot-on with the low poo. If your grease doesn't clear up, add one into your routine and see if it helps.

Also, I invite you to come over to the 2's board. It sounds like your a wavy, and we have a friendly little community down there. :)

Favorite...
    I have seen a lot on here about clarifying with baking soda and vinegar. I'm sure there will be a day when I do that exact then, but right now the idea just weirds me out. haha... give me time and I'm sure that will change!

And thank you... I will check out the 2's board!! :)
    Ha ha! Yes, a lot of our basic knowledge about hair changes when we come to these sites dedicated specially to our own curls! I bet you will wind up doing an ACV rinse. It's not as bad (or smelly!) as it sounds. ;)

Favorite...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file