Shine and Define consistency + and other handmade products

adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
I posted this on the Hair Dew thread when I saw other comments concerning Oyin's shine and define.

I've purchased Oyin Handmade's Shine and Define serum at least every month since Sept. 2009. This is what I use to set my hair. The consistency has always been like a semi thick yogurt. However, the last batch that I received had excess water in it that is sitting on top of the creamier part, like a little puddle. Even after stirring, the puddle reappears within an hour or so, like its separating from the mixture (think oil and water).

I've emailed Oyin twice, and sent photos. Their response is: natural variations will occur due to the natural ingredients and how the products are prepared (sea veggies boiled, flax seeds boiled, etc). And, that since the products are made by hand and not by machine, some batches will be different.

Ok...interesting. I do understand that organic, natural ingredients will vary from season to season, batch to batch. I got that. But I also know that the only creatures on Earth that I know that have hands are HUMANS, and HUMANS do make mistakes. At least last time I checked. And maybe, just maybe, this was the case this time. IJS. Especially with Oyin hiring new help for the holidays, and the owner being on maternity leave. Not sure if she's actually away from work, but I do know she just had a baby boy.

Soooo, my question is this: at what point should a company fess up, admit they couldve made a mistake and try to rectify the issue. Or should they admit at all? I love Oyin, and their products, but I'm not sure I know how to take this. I have 2 8oz containers of Shine and Define that is runny, pourable and hard to apply. That's $36 bucks shot to h*ll!
4b mostly, with some 4a

BC'ed: Sept. 2009
Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
«13

Comments

  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    Wow!

    Well I have never had a problem with Oyin yet, I have had issues with other natural companies. None of the ones that I have had a problem with have taken the responsibility and corrected the situation. So I no longer purchase from them, they don't want my business is how I see it (then I run tell about it on YT, lol).

    So far I got 3 companies of my "Bite Me and Go To Hell" list, AfroVeda, SheScentIt, and BeijaFlorNaturals.

    What I have been doing is taking the jacked up products, melting then down and mixing them with stuff like Shea Butter (tons of it), whip it, and package it up to use as a moisturizer. I'm not going to waste it and when a product is so jacked up I wouldn't dare put it on the swap boards.

    I give companies tons of chances to fix the problem and I mean tons of chances, after that I think me ranting on YT, facebook, and blogging about the situation is fair game.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i love oyin. i really do but i was sorely disappointed this last black friday when i ordered the burnt sugar pomade and it was virtually unscented. i recalled some threads here where people complained about that. i never had a problem....until now. i know some don't like the scent but i love it. i got the same general response, variations in natural products. it's disappointing. consistency in fragrance etc is something we've come to expect in the things buy. what can you do? i guess take a chance and give them another try and hope you get lucky. i bought more pomade and it did smell good and scented like i like. sorry this is happening to you. it's really too bad. i hope they focus on the consistency of their products because if they don't people may opt to buy elsewhere.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
    Wow!

    Well I have never had a problem with Oyin yet, I have had issues with other natural companies. None of the ones that I have had a problem with have taken the responsibility and corrected the situation. So I no longer purchase from them, they don't want my business is how I see it (then I run tell about it on YT, lol).

    So far I got 3 companies of my "Bite Me and Go To Hell" list, AfroVeda, SheScentIt, and BeijaFlorNaturals.

    What I have been doing is taking the jacked up products, melting then down and mixing them with stuff like Shea Butter (tons of it), whip it, and package it up to use as a moisturizer. I'm not going to waste it and when a product is so jacked up I wouldn't dare put it on the swap boards.

    I give companies tons of chances to fix the problem and I mean tons of chances, after that I think me ranting on YT, facebook, and blogging about the situation is fair game.

    LOL @ "Bite Me and Go To Hell" list. Yep, I've seen your AfroVeda-gate video and posts! I'm not quite there yet with Oyin. Up until now, I haven't had any major problems. Except how my Black Friday order was 'accidentally' dropped, and after waiting 2 wks on it, I finally emailed them and found out what happened. They gave me a $5 off $10 or more coupon as an apology gift, and expedited my order- which consisted of the shine and define. Tried to use the coupon this week- didn't work. Needless to say, the whole Black Friday Oyin experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

    I couldn't help but wonder if they made my s&d extra fast or something, and left out an ingredient by mistake. In their email they did say they would expedite my order. While I appreciate their improved shipping time, I will gladly wait 2 weeks if I could avoid problems such as runny products.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

    BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Eh, I'll call BS on those responses because those products aren't even naturally scented. Those products do not smell like that naturally without FRAGRANCE. I don't care what they say about that.

    I think there needs to be some accountability from the company when problems like this arise. How should we hold companies accountable? It depends. I'm going through a similar situation with Tropical Traditions right now and I've emailed them once earlier this week and I've yet to receive a response. I'll send another email tonight or tomorrow and/ or give them a call. Coconut oil should not smell like MEAT so I'm highly pissed about this.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i love oyin. i really do but i was sorely disappointed this last black friday when i ordered the burnt sugar pomade and it was virtually unscented. i recalled some threads here where people complained about that. i never had a problem....until now. i know some don't like the scent but i love it. i got the same general response, variations in natural products. it's disappointing. consistency in fragrance etc is something we've come to expect in the things buy. what can you do? i guess take a chance and give them another try and hope you get lucky. i bought more pomade and it did smell good and scented like i like. sorry this is happening to you. it's really too bad. i hope they focus on the consistency of their products because if they don't people may opt to buy elsewhere.

    That's weird they would give you that speech about the natural variations. I thought they scented that. So you mean to tell me that castor, broccoli seed oil and all the other oils and butters when placed together, NATURALLY smell like pancake syrup? Give me a break Oyin, lol! Someone simply forgot to drop the fragrance in that batch. As humans, we are subject to human error. I guess they are exempt.

    And, as you stated, it goes back to that old saying: buyer beware. Sure, we are taking a chance when purchasing handmade products. We know each batch will vary in some way. We expect that, and respect that. However, sometimes it would be nice for a company to acknowledge they may have made a mistake and try to correct it. I'm not trying to get a refund or even a new product (some would say I'm crazy, though). I just wanted to bring it to their attention somebody may not have done something right.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

    BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
    LOL @CocoT! I'm sorry to laugh, but no, coconut oil should NOT smell like meat! Please keep us posted as to how this works out.

    As for me, I'm done with emailing Oyin about this. I've emailed twice and sent pictures. Even sent them one with me pouring the shine and define, like curded milk. Anyone who has used s&d before knows it doesn't pour like that. Alas, I got the same response from Oyin- natural variations will occur. I will give them another chance in about a month or so, after this batch runs out.

    I agree that these companies should be held responsible. Maybe if we got the BBB involved, especially after numerous attempts have been given to rectify the problem, maybe that would help. BBB is the Better Business Bureau.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

    BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • nmsnms Posts: 134Registered Users
    adst2nv wrote: »
    Maybe if we got the BBB involved, especially after numerous attempts have been given to rectify the problem, maybe that would help. BBB is the Better Business Bureau.

    Who caught that Dateline or 20/20 investigation of the BBB? Basically, if a company pays, they get an A. If they don't pay and someone complains, they get a failing grade. Look it up. It's very interesting.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    Eh, I'll call BS on those responses because those products aren't even naturally scented. Those products do not smell like that naturally without FRAGRANCE. I don't care what they say about that.

    I think there needs to be some accountability from the company when problems like this arise. How should we hold companies accountable? It depends. I'm going through a similar situation with Tropical Traditions right now and I've emailed them once earlier this week and I've yet to receive a response. I'll send another email tonight or tomorrow and/ or give them a call. Coconut oil should not smell like MEAT so I'm highly pissed about this.


    NOOO! OMG you can't tell me that. I'm sitting here about to do a pre-poo treatment with my Coconut Concentrate from them. Ah dang! What is the world coming to?
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    adst2nv wrote: »
    LOL @CocoT! I'm sorry to laugh, but no, coconut oil should NOT smell like meat! Please keep us posted as to how this works out.

    As for me, I'm done with emailing Oyin about this. I've emailed twice and sent pictures. Even sent them one with me pouring the shine and define, like curded milk. Anyone who has used s&d before knows it doesn't pour like that. Alas, I got the same response from Oyin- natural variations will occur. I will give them another chance in about a month or so, after this batch runs out.

    I agree that these companies should be held responsible. Maybe if we got the BBB involved, especially after numerous attempts have been given to rectify the problem, maybe that would help. BBB is the Better Business Bureau.


    Well if you paid via paypal you can' always start a claim. Or you can do like me and put them on blast, lol. Every Oyin Blog, Oyin Twitter, Oyin Facebook, Oyin email, YouTube Video Rants, and hair boards would hear from me until I hear from Oyin, lol. But that's just me.

    I even put my rants on yelp.com too. Especially for places I eat and buy hiar care stuff from. I don't think some beauty supplies like me on there because I will write "Don't go here unless you want (insert name here) to follow you around the store like you are going to steal something under your belly fat and in your butt crack". And don't let me have my cell phone because I will take a picture of the person hiding behind a shelf watching me and then post it on yelp.com saying "do these eyes belong to you?"

    I just don't know what it is with me a customer service, I can't take the BS. I had worked in customer service for years and I have never treated a customer so poorly for no reason.
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    nms wrote: »
    adst2nv wrote: »
    Maybe if we got the BBB involved, especially after numerous attempts have been given to rectify the problem, maybe that would help. BBB is the Better Business Bureau.

    Who caught that Dateline or 20/20 investigation of the BBB? Basically, if a company pays, they get an A. If they don't pay and someone complains, they get a failing grade. Look it up. It's very interesting.


    Wow that's crazy, I always thought the BBB was trustworthy.That probably explains why that failed school I went to was BBB certified with a great rating. That's the only reason I wnt to th at sorry school was because they had a good rating with BBB.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/


    Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CocoT wrote: »
    I'm going through a similar situation with Tropical Traditions right now and I've emailed them once earlier this week and I've yet to receive a response. I'll send another email tonight or tomorrow and/ or give them a call. Coconut oil should not smell like MEAT so I'm highly pissed about this.

    CocoT, Sorry to hear about your situation. However, I'm glad you shared this info; b/c I was considering ordering from Tropical Traditions a few weeks ago. (My sister recently BC'd and I was in the process of compiling her a hair care basket as Christmas gift; in which I wanted to include coconut oil. Plus, I wanted a restock of the oil for myself.)

    Anyway, I decided against ordering from T.T., b/c I just couldn't afford to pay $20-30 for coconut oil that I didn't know how it smelled. So I went with the Nutiva brand (which I found for about $7 on vitacost.com). It smells/works great!:thumright:
    I really hope T.T. gets your problem resolved!:cussing:It's ridiculous.

    eventpng
  • breathebreathe Posts: 399Registered Users
    So far I got 3 companies of my "Bite Me and Go To Hell" list, AfroVeda, SheScentIt, and BeijaFlorNaturals

    What issue do you have with BeijaFlor?

    Anyway, my shine and define arrived like that too. I mixed it up and it seems a little runnier than i'm used to, but i think it still works pretty much the same.
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i hesitate to "put them on blast" when they are generally a good company and i really like their stuff. i tried to take it up with them personally and other than the posts here i just left it alone. i would likely put comments on my order next time to make sure they send me a jar from the highly scented batch. i probably won't order more than 2 jars at a time because of that. it does make me realize that even being natural it's best not to bee too dependent on any company for anything.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i hesitate to "put them on blast" when they are generally a good company and i really like their stuff. i tried to take it up with them personally and other than the posts here i just left it alone. i would likely put comments on my order next time to make sure they send me a jar from the highly scented batch. i probably won't order more than 2 jars at a time because of that. it does make me realize that even being natural it's best not to bee too dependent on any company for anything.

    I feel the same way. I have been a faithful customer for awhile now, and besides here, have never put any negative publicity out on them. I read a few posts on another thread of others having the same problem of excess water in their s&d, and I wanted to let them know what I had experienced. Plus I was curious as to how everyone else felt about the role a company should play in correcting/admitting to a problem.

    For the record, I still love Oyin. But now I realize just how dependent I am on their products, and how I should always have a backup product I can either make on my own, or purchase locally. I believe that since the holiday rush is over, the products we know and love from Oyin will return to normal. *crosses fingers*
    4b mostly, with some 4a

    BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    adst2nv wrote: »
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i hesitate to "put them on blast" when they are generally a good company and i really like their stuff. i tried to take it up with them personally and other than the posts here i just left it alone. i would likely put comments on my order next time to make sure they send me a jar from the highly scented batch. i probably won't order more than 2 jars at a time because of that. it does make me realize that even being natural it's best not to bee too dependent on any company for anything.

    I feel the same way. I have been a faithful customer for awhile now, and besides here, have never put any negative publicity out on them. I read a few posts on another thread of others having the same problem of excess water in their s&d, and I wanted to let them know what I had experienced. Plus I was curious as to how everyone else felt about the role a company should play in correcting/admitting to a problem.

    For the record, I still love Oyin. But now I realize just how dependent I am on their products, and how I should always have a backup product I can either make on my own, or purchase locally. I believe that since the holiday rush is over, the products we know and love from Oyin will return to normal. *crosses fingers*

    I had the water in product problem. I mixed it back in and kept it moving. I decided not to email them.

    I always buy the smallest size I can when it comes to hair care products, because I don't use a whole lot. And I try not to buy more than one at a time. Why horde? I may find something better, then I'm stuck with tons of product. I do buy conditioner by the liter (Elucence), but I go through conditioner really fast compared to everything else.

    I'm with luvmylocs. I think Oyin is a decent company. They've been around awhile. I like having choices, they don't use bases, and 9 times out of 10 I'm going to get my stuff just how I like it. That's good enough for me. Some people don't settle for less than 10/10....and that's them.

    I think companies should be held accountable to a point. I also think companies do have the right not to accept returned products, too. And I also think some people are always sticking their hands out for freebies. I remember this girl from one of my jobs. She used to go into restaurants, take a bite of the food and complain about it in someway or plant a hair in it so she could get free meals. I know with some of these high priced products some trifling person somewhere has buyers remorse and then decides they're going to try to scam. Stop buying the product then if it sucks! LOL

    Seriously though when they're shipping stuff across the country, **** is bound to happen in transit. I'm willing to be that most of the product issues people have happen in transit. There's no way a company (even Afroveda) would send out a product looking half assed. I keep my Shine and Define and 90% of my other hair care products refrigerated. Haven't had any more watery stuff in the Shine and Define since it went into the fridge.

    Also, 10 years ago, you had to wait a couple-few weeks to get stuff in the mail. Sometimes a month or more. Now people want what they buy/bought yesterday or two days before that. So I think companies are under pressure to make **** fast and ship it out faster. Overall I think there needs to be more patience on the consumers part (me included) if you really want to get a quality product. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed getting my shine and define in less than a week (especially when I'm used to waiting a good 3 weeks for stuff from Oyin of the past), but it's not like I was going to go out acting like one of those Dr. Miracle women if I didn't get it. It's not like I'm tweaking and need my fix now or somebody is going to get hurt. LOL And if you are, you probably just need to get your products on the ground.

    Please note I live close to the Canadian border up in the mountains. It's cold as balls up here, so wherever products are coming from, they're bound to be warmer.

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I Agree curly. For me this is a one time issue with Oyins , out of buying for 4 years. Thats not bad at all. I received my shine and define and it sure doesnt look the same as it did in the past but its working.

    Its not like Afroveda to say the least. I learned with Qhemets to be as patient as possible. I know I dont have to worry with Qhemet and Oyin.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I always buy the smallest size I can when it comes to hair care products, because I don't use a whole lot. And I try not to buy more than one at a time. Why horde? I may find something better, then I'm stuck with tons of product. I do buy conditioner by the liter (Elucence), but I go through conditioner really fast compared to everything else.

    good point and something to consider with these issues. i usually buy more of my tried and true products at one time to save on shipping costs. plus i can only buy the pomade in the winter. if i buy it in the summer it's liquidy by the time it reaches me in hot texas. it's interesting there have been problems with peoples orders around the black friday time. i'm wondering if there was a rush to get products made and out during that time and perhaps that's just a lesson learned as not being the ideal time to order.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    I'm sorry but, if I'm paying for it needs to be right, every time or my money back.

    I have never purchased anything from Oyin but, they need to know that their products from Black Friday were unacceptable.

    Doesn't matter if it was a 1 time thing, as a business owner you are suppose to apologize and rectify the situation.

    Telling someone "Well it's natural!" is not enough. They need to either replace or refund these orders. That's just great business practice.

    You're suppose to bend over backwards for customers, it's call customer service. If a product didn't come as expect whether it was in transit or not, the company needs to acknowledge and apologize.

    Lemme stop now...bad business is my pet peeve.
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    As posted in the other thread, I too received a watery batch of S&D. I too give them a pass because a.) it is my first issue with anything I brought from them and b.) it still works fine.

    With that being said, though they generally have stellar customer service, I am a little surprised at that non nonchalant response, as I am sure this is not the first complaint from that batch ( considering that 3-4 people on here alone are saying the same thing).I do agree that some people are impatient, picky, and obnoxious when it comes to their products, but you can't just kanye shrug off someone's complaints. As a paying customer, I shouldn't have to shake and stir my S&D before every use.Either way, I am taking a L for this one, but can't say I would again if it happened once more.

    For the record, I placed mine in the fridge and the puddle became larger! I ended up leaving it out by accident, and that somehow seemed to "dry" the puddle up.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Liyah wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, if I'm paying for it needs to be right, every time or my money back.

    I have never purchased anything from Oyin but, they need to know that their products from Black Friday were unacceptable.

    Doesn't matter if it was a 1 time thing, as a business owner you are suppose to apologize and rectify the situation.

    Telling someone "Well it's natural!" is not enough. They need to either replace or refund these orders. That's just great business practice.

    You're suppose to bend over backwards for customers, it's call customer service. If a product didn't come as expect whether it was in transit or not, the company needs to acknowledge and apologize.

    Lemme stop now...bad business is my pet peeve.
    +10000000
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Liyah wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, if I'm paying for it needs to be right, every time or my money back.

    I have never purchased anything from Oyin but, they need to know that their products from Black Friday were unacceptable.

    Doesn't matter if it was a 1 time thing, as a business owner you are suppose to apologize and rectify the situation.

    Telling someone "Well it's natural!" is not enough. They need to either replace or refund these orders. That's just great business practice.

    You're suppose to bend over backwards for customers, it's call customer service. If a product didn't come as expect whether it was in transit or not, the company needs to acknowledge and apologize.

    Lemme stop now...bad business is my pet peeve.

    I agree but at the same time , offering a coupon off of a next order, replying to the email in a timely manner , and stating that each batch when dealing with natural products isnt 100 the same, isnt good enough?

    * not to sound catty*

    Ive been making my own products for the last 3 years , was seriously thinking about starting an etsy account but my hobby is my hobby and I think its going to stay that way.

    I think the customer is always right in customer service but at the same time each situation will not work out 100 where each customer is satisfied.


    I ordered from an unknown etsy company , one item out of 4 was stellar, the rest was a damn dud. I reached out to her and she offered to return the items and send me new ones. I actually didnt have time to do all of that so I said no thank you and kept it moving. someone else would have ranted and raved the whole nine. In my mind at least she offered, pretty soon I might make another purchase to see if shes improved but thats just me , product junky save a small business.
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Liyah wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, if I'm paying for it needs to be right, every time or my money back.

    I have never purchased anything from Oyin but, they need to know that their products from Black Friday were unacceptable.

    Doesn't matter if it was a 1 time thing, as a business owner you are suppose to apologize and rectify the situation.

    Telling someone "Well it's natural!" is not enough. They need to either replace or refund these orders. That's just great business practice.

    You're suppose to bend over backwards for customers, it's call customer service. If a product didn't come as expect whether it was in transit or not, the company needs to acknowledge and apologize.

    Lemme stop now...bad business is my pet peeve.

    I agree but at the same time , offering a coupon off of a next order, replying to the email in a timely manner , and stating that each batch when dealing with natural products isnt 100 the same, isnt good enough?

    * not to sound catty*

    Ive been making my own products for the last 3 years , was seriously thinking about starting an etsy account but my hobby is my hobby and I think its going to stay that way.

    I think the customer is always right in customer service but at the same time each situation will not work out 100 where each customer is satisfied.


    I ordered from an unknown etsy company , one item out of 4 was stellar, the rest was a damn dud. I reached out to her and she offered to return the items and send me new ones. I actually didnt have time to do all of that so I said no thank you and kept it moving. someone else would have ranted and raved the whole nine. In my mind at least she offered, pretty soon I might make another purchase to see if shes improved but thats just me , product junky save a small business.

    I agree. I think that the coupon was a nice gesture but, the whole "natural products yaddah yaddah" excuse was not right.

    It may just me but, if someone spent close to $40 on my products and the product isn't as it should be, I would replace the products.

    I just can't wrap my head around how so many orders were jacked up around the same time and they aren't issuing a mass apology or something.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    does anyone think that maybe oyin changed their formulation? with the way companies are cutting back, it wouldn't surprise me if the product was reformulated to save money rather than increase the price of said product. #ijs
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

    faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here's my take...

    I think a LOT of these natural handmade compaines operate in a vaccum and they refuse to acknowledge that they are in every sense of the word operating a manufacturing facility...albeit on a micro scale. Larger manufacturing compaines have to pull bad batches of product all the time. It's called quality control. I don't know WHY smaller companies refuse to do the same. It's part of the cost of doing business.

    While i know that there are natural variances in color, smell, even texture of products, (handmade or mass produced) there comes a point when you just can not use that as an excuse to ignore problems. It seems to me that several bad batches were produced during the Black Friday sale period. Too much water was used, someone forgot to scent a few batches or some other "oops" was made the produced a less than stellar product.

    Planning for a large sudden increase in sales to maintain the quality of your product is NOT that hard. All it takes is a spreadsheet program to track previous sales to determine a MINIMUM amount of product that will be needed to fill the orders. I've said it lots of times before but Qhemet has this down to a science. Close up shop for a few weeks (or however long is needed), prep, make the product needed to fill the orders at the quality level that your customers have come to expect.

    All this half assed slaping stuff together has gotten on my LAST darn nerve. And hiring new or temp employees for a sale that have not been properly trained is even worse and appears to be the cause of a lot of these problems (or so we have been lead to believe).

    Sigh. I just want these compaines to get thier ish together....like seriously.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

    Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!
    _____________________________
    I like my men and my hair....KINKY!!!!
    _____________________________
    Wanna save $10 off your next purchase at vitacost.com? Use my referal code (click the link)!


    12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Here's my take...

    I think a LOT of these natural handmade compaines operate in a vaccum and they refuse to acknowledge that they are in every sense of the word operating a manufacturing facility...albeit on a micro scale. Larger manufacturing compaines have to pull bad batches of product all the time. It's called quality control. I don't know WHY smaller companies refuse to do the same. It's part of the cost of doing business.

    While i know that there are natural variances in color, smell, even texture of products, (handmade or mass produced) there comes a point when you just can not use that as an excuse to ignore problems. It seems to me that several bad batches were produced during the Black Friday sale period. Too much water was used, someone forgot to scent a few batches or some other "oops" was made the produced a less than stellar product.

    Planning for a large sudden increase in sales to maintain the quality of your product is NOT that hard. All it takes is a spreadsheet program to track previous sales to determine a MINIMUM amount of product that will be needed to fill the orders. I've said it lots of times before but Qhemet has this down to a science. Close up shop for a few weeks (or however long is needed), prep, make the product needed to fill the orders at the quality level that your customers have come to expect.

    All this half assed slaping stuff together has gotten on my LAST darn nerve. And hiring new or temp employees for a sale that have not been properly trained is even worse and appears to be the cause of a lot of these problems (or so we have been lead to believe).

    Sigh. I just want these compaines to get thier ish together....like seriously.

    Amen! I have never gotten a jar/bottle of "separated" anything from Qhemet. Never. No, not one time. The consistency has always been pretty much the same.

    Secondly, Oyin has been doing this long enough to understand how it goes.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

    The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    I skimmed their FB page to see if anyone else was complaining and didn't find anything. There is usually one lone complaint out of dozens of kudos, but couldn't find not one about S&D. Either people are not fessing up there or we were a rare group of people who had this issue ...
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Here's my take...

    I think a LOT of these natural handmade compaines operate in a vaccum and they refuse to acknowledge that they are in every sense of the word operating a manufacturing facility...albeit on a micro scale. Larger manufacturing compaines have to pull bad batches of product all the time. It's called quality control. I don't know WHY smaller companies refuse to do the same. It's part of the cost of doing business.

    While i know that there are natural variances in color, smell, even texture of products, (handmade or mass produced) there comes a point when you just can not use that as an excuse to ignore problems. It seems to me that several bad batches were produced during the Black Friday sale period. Too much water was used, someone forgot to scent a few batches or some other "oops" was made the produced a less than stellar product.

    Planning for a large sudden increase in sales to maintain the quality of your product is NOT that hard. All it takes is a spreadsheet program to track previous sales to determine a MINIMUM amount of product that will be needed to fill the orders. I've said it lots of times before but Qhemet has this down to a science. Close up shop for a few weeks (or however long is needed), prep, make the product needed to fill the orders at the quality level that your customers have come to expect.

    All this half assed slaping stuff together has gotten on my LAST darn nerve. And hiring new or temp employees for a sale that have not been properly trained is even worse and appears to be the cause of a lot of these problems (or so we have been lead to believe).

    Sigh. I just want these compaines to get thier ish together....like seriously.

    +1

    Thank you!! This is all I'm saying... get it together.
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    curlylcp wrote: »
    I skimmed their FB page to see if anyone else was complaining and didn't find anything. There is usually one lone complaint out of dozens of kudos, but couldn't find not one about S&D. Either people are not fessing up there or we were a rare group of people who had this issue ...

    Or maybe they are deleting the bad ones...

    ...just saying
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Here's my take...

    I think a LOT of these natural handmade compaines operate in a vaccum and they refuse to acknowledge that they are in every sense of the word operating a manufacturing facility...albeit on a micro scale. Larger manufacturing compaines have to pull bad batches of product all the time. It's called quality control. I don't know WHY smaller companies refuse to do the same. It's part of the cost of doing business.

    While i know that there are natural variances in color, smell, even texture of products, (handmade or mass produced) there comes a point when you just can not use that as an excuse to ignore problems. It seems to me that several bad batches were produced during the Black Friday sale period. Too much water was used, someone forgot to scent a few batches or some other "oops" was made the produced a less than stellar product.

    Planning for a large sudden increase in sales to maintain the quality of your product is NOT that hard. All it takes is a spreadsheet program to track previous sales to determine a MINIMUM amount of product that will be needed to fill the orders. I've said it lots of times before but Qhemet has this down to a science. Close up shop for a few weeks (or however long is needed), prep, make the product needed to fill the orders at the quality level that your customers have come to expect.

    All this half assed slaping stuff together has gotten on my LAST darn nerve. And hiring new or temp employees for a sale that have not been properly trained is even worse and appears to be the cause of a lot of these problems (or so we have been lead to believe).

    Sigh. I just want these compaines to get thier ish together....like seriously.
    +100000000000000000
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    Liyah wrote: »
    curlylcp wrote: »
    I skimmed their FB page to see if anyone else was complaining and didn't find anything. There is usually one lone complaint out of dozens of kudos, but couldn't find not one about S&D. Either people are not fessing up there or we were a rare group of people who had this issue ...

    Or maybe they are deleting the bad ones...

    ...just saying

    Could be, but I give them a little bit more credit with integrity for that. Usually they will deflect it to a generic " please e-mail us at____" when someone complains.

    I personally didn't think much of it until someone brought up on another thread, just thought it was off because it sat out in the heat at my place. So maybe people are chucking it up as a non issue.The problem with that is then Oyin may see the lone complaint as just that---your one product was an issue, not the whole batch, thus the generic response. I am almost tempted to call them now, then at least there would be at least two formal complaints that we know of,lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file