Jumping BC pill packs...

empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
Just curious...is that safe? A couple of girls I work with say that instead of taking the placebo round of their birth control pills they just start the new pack so they dont get their period.

I dont want to do that...I dont play with things like that, but is that safe? What might happen in the long run?
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
"Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
[/B]

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    My sisters Dr said it was ok to do when she figured she would get her period during her wedding. No clue if its something you could do long term though.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    My doctor has OK'd this for me to skip up to three periods in a row. A birth control period isn't really a typical period, from what I understand, but is withdrawal bleeding from not taking hormones -- so you're not messing with things much more than you already are by being on the pill (again, from what I understand).

Some brands come designed to do this, such as Seasonique.

ETA: link
    Under construction.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    ahh! wonderful link i read it all thanks!

yes one of my coworkers does it because she gets terribly sick and will actually pass out. good to know that if i dont want to get it i can start my new pack.

i can add this to the learn something new thread ;)
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    ahh! wonderful link i read it all thanks!

yes one of my coworkers does it because she gets terribly sick and will actually pass out. good to know that if i dont want to get it i can start my new pack.

i can add this to the learn something new thread ;)

I keep saying *I think* because I don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction, but I think (there it is again) the way it's done might depend on the type of pill, whether the hormones vary throughout the cycle (Ortho Tri-Cyclin, for example) or stay the same (such as Loestrin). The latter can be taken continuously, as far as I know, but it might get trickier with the varying-hormone pills.
    Under construction.
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (OTC) for years. When I wanted to skip a period I would get two packs and take Week 1, Week 1, Week 2, Week2, etc. so the varying hormones wouldn't be an issue.

The taking it back to back didn't work as well and there was spotting.

My doc told me that as long as it's not all the time it's fine. I'd talk to your doc because we don't know your health history.
    <insert signature line here>
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I take Seasonale-- it's a 90-day pill cycle and the hormones are the same throughout the cycle. My gyn says it's safe. It doesn't worry me too much because it's so convenient for me :) plus I don't ever want kids so my fertility isn't a concern to me. I don't think jumping packs every once in a while would be a bad thing. Just check with your dr to be sure.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Yeah I take ortho tricyclen-lo. I'm a stickler for labels when they say take as directed but I never thought about what if you're going on a honeymoon or such.

And they are SO right about that withdrawal bleeding. I hurt myself at work, left in an ambulance and wasn't at work for a week...and forgot my pills in my locker. Got my period early and was bleeding for over a week. NOT FUN.

But I have to get the plumbing checked next month so I'm going to pick her brain about this, thanks everyone :)
    [/B]
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've done it. The breakthrough bleeding annoyed me, though, since I wasn't prepared for it. I like knowing in advance what's going to happen menstrually.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have done it when I did not want my period on vacation. But I have only done it continuous for 2 pill packs (does that make sense?). So I have only 'missed' one period. I did not have any breakthrough issues.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    
    Exactly the same for me
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I was doing that back in the 70's! Yes it's fine!
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Yea I do this. My doc said it was fine, as long as I have 4 periods per 12 packs. (I would say per year, but it doesn't add up that way if you are going in 3 week cycles.) Personally, I can only skip one period then I have to have it as I will get spotting if I try to do 3 in a row, but I've never had an issue with 2 packs in a row. I dont ALWAYS do it, but I get bad periods, so for me its worth it. Or with vacations, even camping. Bleh, don't want to deal with a period in the wilderness lemme tell ya!
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file