Oscar Nominations

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
I've seen some good films and not so good films this year. These are films I think will get nominated and hopefully win in the categories I care about (except animated film and short film....I can't decide on those just yet):

Best Picture: 127 Hours (but I know Black Sawn is probably going to get it, ugh. Maybe even The Kids are Alright)

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen for True Grit (Maybe Danny Boyle for 127 Hours or

Best Actor: Colin Firth (boo! I want James Franco or even Jesse Eisenberg)

Best Actress: Natalie Portman (as long as Julianne Moore doesn't win, I don't care. I didn't think she was that great in The Kids are Alright)

Best Supporting Actor: Matt Damon (I thought he was great in True Grit, but I'm betting someone from the The King's Speech will get this)

Best Supporting Actress: either Loretta Devine, Anika Noni Rose, Phylicia Rashad, or Kimberly Elise. Of the 4....I'd have to say it would be between Anika Noni Rose and Phylicia Rashad.

I think Inception will get snubbed, totally. If it doesn't get snubbed, I will be shocked. If For Colored Girls is totally snubbed, I will be shocked and annoyed.

Please do not let Love and Other Drugs win anything. Same goes for anything with Amy Adams in it (LOL). I haven't seen The Fighter, so I haven't really considered it for anything. I think it will be nominated for something though. I loved loved loved 127 Hours, and as far as I'm concerned that was the best film of the year.

What do you think?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    I really think Toy Story 3 should win Best Film. It will get nominated, but it will get shunted to Best Animated Film. I've seen some good movies this year, but I haven't seen one better than Toy Story 3.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• GurlwithCurlsGurlwithCurls Posts: 129Registered Users
    I think it's finally Annette Bening's year. I predict she'll win over Natalie Portman for "The Kids Are All Right". Consolation win for having lost out to Hilary Swank twice.

Supporting Actress-- 14 year old Hailee Steinfeld for "True Grit" -- she was extremely good, and the Academy loves giving the supporting award to these young whippersnappers-- even though she was CLEARLY the lead in that film.

Colin Firth will probably win Best Actor.

Supporting Actor-- I dunno. Oh wait-- Christian Bale in "The Fighter". Yeah, I'll go with him ;-)

Screenplay-- most def "The Social Network", it was the best-written film I've seen this year, though I can't remember if the screenplay is adapted or original. I think it deserves Best Film too, but I wonder if the voters will consider it too lightweight subject-matter wise.

I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of good movies and performances. I've seen almost all the contenders and I can't keep them straight.

I'm pretty annoyed at the selection of hosts though (James Franco and Anne Hathaway-- sooooo random). Obvious ploy for young viewers. Whatever happened to having a comedy great host? They should bring back Billy Crystal.
    3b/c and outta control
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Are they out?

Best Picture- Winter's Bone (granted I haven't seen it and have no intention to). Would prefer if Inception won.

Best Director- Danny Boyle

Best Actor- James Franco (would love Ryan Gosling for Blue Valentine)

Best Supporting Actor- Matt Damon (True Grit)

Best Actress- Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone)

Best Supporting Actress- Helena Carter (The King's Speech)
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't seen as many movies as usual this year, but of the talked about movies that I have seen, my favorite for Best Picture is either The Social Network or Black Swan. 127 Hours and True Grit also seem like contenders (I'm pretty sure they'll get nominated for Best Picture as well as some acting categories), but I thought those were just ok.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file