This seems to work - is it going to damage my hair?

AlycatAlycat Posts: 58Registered Users
My very fine hair has never, ever liked styling product used more than twice in succession. Even CG stuff washed out with sulphates still seems to linger and make it sticky. I recently realised two of the three products I like are basically leave-in conditioners with a bit of hold - Pink Boots and Cotton Seed Curl Boost. So I've been alternating - one wash I follow with a styler but no conditioner, the next wash I follow with conditioner but no styler. My hair looks pretty good and feels clean - I hate it when it's gungy.

Am I right in thinking the Boots and the Cotton Seed are moisturising? I reckon I can read labels these days but I'm no expert. Do you think my hair will be OK with this routine long-term?

And, I really like KY gel on my hair but it makes it VERY sticky on the second day. I've been using conditioner under it because I thought glycerin was a humectant not a moisturiser - any opinions on whether I could safely use it alone?

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Any curl cream is semi-moisturizing (at least 99% of the time).

Your routine sounds fine! Good luck. Hope it continues to work. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • AlycatAlycat Posts: 58Registered Users
    Thanks Wavy - I'll keep doing it then until my hair tells me to do something different. Perhaps my hair just doesn't need very much moisturiser.
    Maybe! Lucky you! My hair begs me for more and more moisture.... I'm going to be experimenting with the Spritz & Condish. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Tried that - got VERY sticky hair! Can't put anything on my hair second day, sometimes even just wetting it then makes it 'orrible.

I'm going to try putting a dab of jojoba oil on my hair before I go to bed tonight and shampooing it out tomorrow. The oil worked brilliantly, like a serum to tame the fluff, for about four days - then my hair was sooooo moisturised it lost all shape.

Hopefully, washing it out will leave my hair in good condition but not weighed down.
    Good luck with the oil experiment! Be sure to tell us how it worked out. :)

Favorite...
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know justajesuschick doesn't need a lot of moisturizing products either! I'm not much help because my hair is the opposite!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Oil before shampoo seems good, my hair's soft but bouncy this morning. I bet if I do the same thing next time I wash my hair it'll go flat though. But once a week will probably work. I do like jojoba, it soaks into my hair - almond sits on the top and EVOO's too heavy.

Asianrunner - I've been semi-stalking JAJC, her hair's longer and thicker than mine (everybody's is!) but it seems to behave in fairly similar ways - I'll go and read up on her products/methods more carefully.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file