What New Year's traditions do you have?

LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
I know a lot of cultures have different New Year's traditions, but it's just my impression that a number of people don't actually practice them. At least in my experience.

In my family, we ate Hoppin John (rice with blackeyed peas) and collard greens every single New Year's Day. The Hoppin John is supposed to bring luck and the collards are supposed to bring riches. As a child, my aunt and uncle threw parties with those foods as a theme. They haven't done those in years, but they were always a lot of fun and it became my favorite holiday. These days, I do a dinner party every New Year's Day with those foods. I feel it's a great way to start the new year. Some friends have sworn that my parties have brought them luck.

So what are your New Year's traditions?
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/

Comments

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    My Hungarian grandmother would make lentil soup for New Years. Now we always eat lentils every year for new years. I think it has to do with prosperity in the new year, the legumes plump in the water... something like that.

A Mexican aunt of mine told me to wear red, green, white, and yellow underwear. She said it was for good luck. :dontknow: Who knows where she got that from.

And another Mexican aunt eats 12 grapes. One during each of the 12 strokes of midnight. I never have, but I've been considering that this year.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • girlspicegirlspice Posts: 73Registered Users
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    In my family, we ate Hoppin John (rice with blackeyed peas) and collard greens every single New Year's Day. The Hoppin John is supposed to bring luck and the collards are supposed to bring riches.

+1

We also must have pork which is for wealth and progress.

My MIL swears by a man walking in her front door before anyone else can enter.
    Keep it simple :queen: Simply marvelous & simply wonderful!

Hair Type: 4a
    BC: November '09
    CoWash: VO5, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Leave In: JC Revitalizing Leave In, Homemade mix
    DT: AOHR, Lustrasilk's shea butter mango and olive oil cholesterol
    Daily Moisture: Coconut oil, shea butter
    Styling Products: MJ Baby Buttercreme, Eco Styler Gel, JC Nourish & Shine
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I picked up a tradition from my fiance (Venezuelan) where you run around your house three times with a suitcase, empty except for a few dollar bills inside..

It's supposed to bring travel and money in the new year. :occasion5:

I also like to smash old dishes in the street which is really a German wedding tradition which is supposed to mean that you get rid of all your arguments on the first day of your marriage, but I adapted it to be a new years thing.. no arguments for the new year.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Minxy, is the underwear supposed to be all of those colors, or just one of them?
    My tradition is pretty prosaic. I almost always go to bed in time to be asleep before the neighborhood guns go off at midnight. They scare me.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Minxy, is the underwear supposed to be all of those colors, or just one of them?

Good question. I wasn't able to get a solid answer to that one.

I've since assumed that she thought I should wear one of each color. But who knows! :cheese:
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • SwtAnanaSwtAnana Posts: 70Registered Users
    My family is from Haiti and Haitian Independence Day coincides with the new year. We eat something called "soup joumou" which translates to mean pumpkin soup. The soup is a standard mixture of squash, noodles, beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, and cassava (as well as any other type of veggies you wanna add). A HUGE pot is usually made and consumed by family and friends. Some families eat it right at the strike of midnight while others eat it later on in the day...all day. It's not unusual to travel to different homes to sample the soups but generally speaking, they pretty much taste the same to me :-P

The ingredients in the soup represent the types of foods the slave owners denied their slaves and eating it every Jan 1st is supposed to bring you luck for the year. I only get to eat this once a year so I'm always super excited during this time. mmmmm.... I can taste it now :blob5:

event.png

Products :blob:
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Benefits
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-In: Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil or Pink
    Sealants: KBB Creamylicious Shea Butter, KBB Hair Oil

Yup...that's it (for now... :glasses7:)
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    My family never really had any, other than maybe going out to dinner and watching the ball drop later at home. Since I entered the "real world," I've had to work on New Year's Eve, this year included. Unless my shift goes to midnight, I'm usually asleep by then. I think I'm too young to be this boring. :oops:
    Under construction.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    SwtAnana wrote: »
    My family is from Haiti and Haitian Independence Day coincides with the new year. We eat something called "soup joumou" which translates to mean pumpkin soup. The soup is a standard mixture of squash, noodles, beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, and cassava (as well as any other type of veggies you wanna add). A HUGE pot is usually made and consumed by family and friends. Some families eat it right at the strike of midnight while others eat it later on in the day...all day. It's not unusual to travel to different homes to sample the soups but generally speaking, they pretty much taste the same to me :-P

The ingredients in the soup represent the types of foods the slave owners denied their slaves and eating it every Jan 1st is supposed to bring you luck for the year. I only get to eat this once a year so I'm always super excited during this time. mmmmm.... I can taste it now :blob5:

Mmm...sounds good :D
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    girlspice wrote: »
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    In my family, we ate Hoppin John (rice with blackeyed peas) and collard greens every single New Year's Day. The Hoppin John is supposed to bring luck and the collards are supposed to bring riches.

+1

We also must have pork which is for wealth and progress.

My MIL swears by a man walking in her front door before anyone else can enter.

I usually cook the collards and the Hoppin John in hamhocks, which I don't normally do but I make an exception for New Year's. So I have the pork part covered somewhat.

I can't do anything about the man part, though. All of my confirmed guests this year will be women.

• roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I make black eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread. At midnight, I open the front door to let the new year in and the back door to let the old year out. Unless I've fallen asleep before midnight, then I just do the shift change in the morning. Ha!! ;)

My friend from Cuba says her father always walked around the house at midnight with an empty suitcase. It meant he would travel in the new year.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not a cultural tradition but I always must get drunk and party on nye!
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My Texas family always had black eyed peas and cabbage. Something about luck and money. Here with MY family, we have Mexican food. After the bland holiday food we like to spice it up.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My daughter was born on NYE, so we spend the day celebrating her. This year, as she turns 13, she and I are going swimming together in the morning, then an eye appointment to get her contact lenses, then going to get our hair done, and some clothes shopping for her gift.

ETA: We usually have lentil soup on NYD, for prosperity.
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    We have black-eyed peas cooked with a ham bone and cabbage with potatoes. And cast iron skillet corn bread. I think it's a Southern thing... my parents were born and raised in NOLA.

I've never heard any of these other traditions though... so interesting! I love the one about opening the front door and back door. I may do that this year :occasion9:
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    lauraloo wrote: »
    We have black-eyed peas cooked with a ham bone and cabbage with potatoes. And cast iron skillet corn bread. I think it's a Southern thing... my parents were born and raised in NOLA.

I've never heard any of these other traditions though... so interesting! I love the one about opening the front door and back door. I may do that this year :occasion9:

This is what both mine and my husband's families do, but I take my cabbage raw since I can't stand cooked cabbage.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wouldn't call it a tradition since we haven't done it every year, but this year we're doing Hoppin' John over rice and kale (collards are hard for me to find here for some reason!). I did come across a recipe for black eyed pea and collard egg rolls which look really good!

I really like the front door/back door thing! We don't technically have a back door, but maybe the side door will suffice. And running around the house with the suitcase would be super fun for party guests that are drunk! Make sure to have the video camera out. :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • RRRR Posts: 147Registered Users
    I'm mostly of German descent, and we always had sausage (or pork) and sauerkraut and potatoes (mashed, baked, whatever). I was told that it was supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

When I stilled lived in the area I grew up in, (and used to go out and party for NYE), the bars would all serve the above at midnight to all the patrons.

I still do the sausage and sauerkraut. My SO refuses. ;-)
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    RR wrote: »
    I'm mostly of German descent, and we always had sausage (or pork) and sauerkraut and potatoes (mashed, baked, whatever). I was told that it was supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

When I stilled lived in the area I grew up in, (and used to go out and party for NYE), the bars would all serve the above at midnight to all the patrons.

I still do the sausage and sauerkraut. My SO refuses. ;-)

I'm Polish and we did the sausage and sauerkraut when I was growing up. :) Love that stuff!!!

Now we do my husband's family tradition every year. Every gets together for pork loin, corned beef, and cabbage. We put coins in the cabbage so if you end up with coins on your plate you'll have good luck that year.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sauerkraut and pork every New Year's Day. My parents made this every year and we always have too. Supposed to be good luck for the year.
    3b/c
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    munchkin wrote: »
    Sauerkraut and pork every New Year's Day. My parents made this every year and we always have too. Supposed to be good luck for the year.

Yep, same here. Although, this year I wasn't home for it! So I had pizza. I hope I don't have terrible luck this year! ;)

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • breathebreathe Posts: 399Registered Users
    We have gumbo for no particular reason. Haha. My mom also always boils a bit of cabbage around midnight and everyone takes a fork and stirs in the pot. The green of the cabbage brings you money in the new year, supposedly. :)
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file