We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Help!!! Whats the hair definition of theses curls?

carrice3carrice3 Posts: 10Registered Users
Hello curlys,:laughing6:

Can you please tell if these are 3c 4a curls or not. I'm just curious, the person in the video said they are 3b 3c curls. I can' believe it because how kinky it is in the beginning.:profileleft:

YouTube - Mineral Indulgence 3B/3C Natural Curls Product Tutorial

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    there is nothing 3b about those curls. freshly styled it looks 3c. but then the day 4 hair looks 3c/4a-ish to me.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    My FOOT. That's 3c MAYBE. I'm thinking more 4a.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • puppitypuppuppitypup Posts: 115Registered Users
    I'm leaning more towards 4a then anything.
    3C, fine/med texture, normal porosity, high elasticity, very defined spiral

Holy Grail Products: TRESemme Naturals conditioner, my mango/shea butter mixture, Apricot Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, EVOO & Cantu Shea Butter

Check out my blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fricciolina.wordpress.com" class="Popup
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    I would call that 4a/4b hair personally.
    Mostly because when her hair is wet I do not see the corkscrew shape that I associate with 3b or 3c hair.
    3b and 3c hair does not have to be corkscrew shape. many 3c's actually have S shaped curls (myself included).
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    3b and 3c hair does not have to be corkscrew shape. many 3c's actually have S shaped curls (myself included).

Really? I had no idea I though s shaped were in the 4a family and z shape was the 4b... I must admit I've never really been that great at hair classification. Now that I am thinking about it isn't a corkscrew really an s shape? In my mind I see a wine bottle opener and to me that is a a corkscrew but really that is the shape of an S right?

Confused...
    The hair typing system really only addresses curl size. 3b's regardless of the shape tend to be curls the size of a marker, 3c the size of a pencil, 4a is coffee stirrer size and 4 is like pen spring size.

When my curls were shorter they were corkscrews (like an actual corkscrew wine tool) but now they're S shaped, like a pack of top ramen noodles LOL. But either way they're about the size/width of a pencil.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's either 4a or 3c/4a. I can't really tell because I can't judge when it's wet and the dry day 4 pic isn't very good.

And a coil and a corkscrew curl are the same thing...4a hair just has tighter looking corkscrews than 3b/c hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Didn't see any 3B in there.
  • coracora Posts: 456Registered Users
    I'm kind of in love with it at the beginning when it looks like a lumpy cotton ball--it just looks really soft and kinda silky in an odd way.
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    You know.. I've been natural almost 3 years now.. I can make my hair a "perfect" mass of curls, an afro, straight or wavy.
    BUT
    I have NO IDEA about hair typing. Not this number system or the LOIS system. :thumbdown: My hair is 5D b/c I need five fingers to style it and i'm a hair-typing dummy. lol!!
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • poepoe Posts: 112Registered Users
    Naya wrote: »
    You know.. I've been natural almost 3 years now.. I can make my hair a "perfect" mass of curls, an afro, straight or wavy.
    BUT
    I have NO IDEA about hair typing. Not this number system or the LOIS system. :thumbdown: My hair is 5D b/c I need five fingers to style it and i'm a hair-typing dummy. lol!!

Don't think it matters much. I have so many different sizes of curls that I find hair typing irrelevant anyways. I guess mine is 5D also. :)
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    The curly featured in the video could be my hair twin and I consider my curl pattern a majority 4A with 3C nearing the nape & temples.
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file