Moisturizers

blu_gtar87blu_gtar87 Posts: 47Registered Users
I wish curlmart would have a section for moisturizers/oils/sealants.

Im at the point where i just need a moisturizer. something i can put on my hair after it is dry. i have tried miss Jessie's baby buttercreme and i love it, but the ingredients arent all great. I need something that i can use generously without worrying about ingredients.

If you have any ideas. Please tell me :) thanks
Check out my blog: kinkycurlypixie.blogspot.com
or search me on youtube: blugtar87

Phone cord curls (dont know what type). Looser in the front and on top (maybe from heat damage?:-|)

Happy to say that I am CG! :love7:

Currently using:
Teressentials Mud Wash. (As my cleanser and conditioner)
Giovanni's Direct Leave-In.
Castor oil
Ecco styler gel

Comments

• sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users
    Anything by Qhemet.
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
  • earthtones naturalsearthtones naturals Posts: 40Registered Users
    blu_gtar87 wrote: »

Im at the point where i just need a moisturizer. something i can put on my hair after it is dry. i have tried miss Jessie's baby buttercreme and i love it, but the ingredients arent all great. I need something that i can use generously without worrying about ingredients.

If you have any ideas. Please tell me :) thanks

In general, coconut oil, avocado and olive oils are great emollients since they penetrate the shaft of the hair. You can try mixing them together and applying the mixed oil to your hair, or find products that contain these oils. If you want a lighter hair moisturizer, you'll want to look mainly for coconut oil. Avocado and olive oils tend to be heavier. Another benefit of olive oil is that it is also a humectant, having the ability to attract moisture to the hair. This is one of the reasons it's good to put this in your hair when it's slightly damp. It can actually help to seal in the moisture.

Something you can try is to spray your hair with a little bit of water to dampen it a bit and then add the oils to the damp hair to help seal in the moisture. This is important if you want to comb or brush your hair at all since you should not brush or comb curly or kinky hair when it's dry. I do this with my daughter's hair all of the time before I apply any type of moisturizer with the results of softer, less tangled hair.

Good brands include Darcys botanicals, Qhemet, and Shida naturals, Ori Organics to name a few.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    blu_gtar87 wrote: »

I think I may suggest this to Gretchen.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • darlingdivadarlingdiva Posts: 64Registered Users
    Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Emollient Moisturizers (high oil/butter content):
    Qhemet Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm (wet or dry)
    Qhemet Burdock Root Butter cream (wet or dry)
    Coffee bean butter (on wet hair)
    Devacurl Set It Free (dry hair, hydrate 2nd day hair and retain curl texture)
    KBB Ambrosia (dry hair, hydrate 3rd/4th day hair)
    Afro Detangler (same use as as KBB)
    KBB Heavenly Jojoba (dry hair)
    Castor oil (wet hair, over leave in or conditioner
    Loma Imply mixed with Qhemet OHHB - dry hair or wet hair

Wet hair moisturizing leave ins/stylers:
    Loma Imply
    Vigorol Curls Curling Cream
    Afroveda Curl Define
    Curl Junkie Coffee Cocoa Curl Cream
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users

Loma Imply
    Afroveda Curl Define
    I wouldn't put Qhemet BRBC on the high butter/oil list. It is more of a water based product. I would add however botanical spirits avocado milk butter as a sealant. My hair hated it but others love it.
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    My favorite moisturizer is SheaMoisture Curl and Style milk.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• blu_gtar87blu_gtar87 Posts: 47Registered Users
    thanks everyone for your suggestions :)
    Check out my blog: kinkycurlypixie.blogspot.com
    or search me on youtube: blugtar87

Phone cord curls (dont know what type). Looser in the front and on top (maybe from heat damage?:-|)

Happy to say that I am CG! :love7:

Currently using:
    Teressentials Mud Wash. (As my cleanser and conditioner)
    Giovanni's Direct Leave-In.
    Castor oil
    Ecco styler gel
  • CurlyDeziCurlyDezi Posts: 72Registered Users
    I may get a lot of flack for this, but oh well here it goes lol I saw that you stated that you loved the MJ but it just didn't have the right ingredients. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You found something that works for YOUR hair, whether or not others tell you something's not right about it or the ingredients aren't OK, it's still YOUR hair and it's working for YOU....so I say just keep using it : )
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlyDezi wrote: »
    I may get a lot of flack for this, but oh well here it goes lol I saw that you stated that you loved the MJ but it just didn't have the right ingredients. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You found something that works for YOUR hair, whether or not others tell you something's not right about it or the ingredients aren't OK, it's still YOUR hair and it's working for YOU....so I say just keep using it : )
    +1
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Loma Imply
    Afroveda Curl Define

amazing!! thank you for this!! I am in need of a good moisturizer so bad but im been so lost! thank u!
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I find all of these to be excellent moisturizers:
    Qhemet Biologics
    ~Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
    ~Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
    ~Burdock Root Butter Cream

Oyin Handmade
    ~Hair Dew
    ~Juices and Berries

Garden of Wisdom
    ~Mango Butter
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    I find all of these to be excellent moisturizers:
    Garden of Wisdom
    ~Mango Butter

I have not purchased anything from garden of wisdom in a long while but they also had an excellent skin care line as well. Thanks for bringing them up!
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file