If you donate your kidney, you can get out of jail

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
Oh lord. Something else to make Mississippians look horrible:

Sister's Kidney Donation Condition Of Miss. Parole : NPR

If people actually vote for Haley Barbour, then wow. We've come a long way. In the wrong direction.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    So apparently, two life sentences is excessive for armed robbery...if you only get a few bucks. It's still armed robbery, whether or not they robbed someone with $11 or with $11,000,000.

The whole situation is just weird, and I'm surprised it didn't happen in Texas.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    prison officials no longer think they are a threat to society and Jamie's medical condition is costing the state a lot of money.

Oh I get it.. it's a budget consideration, not a justice consideration. The men involved in the robbery are already out of prison. Why did the women get a harsher sentence?
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    prison officials no longer think they are a threat to society and Jamie's medical condition is costing the state a lot of money.

Oh I get it.. it's a budget consideration, not a justice consideration. The men involved in the robbery are already out of prison. Why did the women get a harsher sentence?

Hm. I apparently didn't read far enough. I wonder too why the women got a harsher sentence.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Basically it has to do with the sister on dialysis. Haley Barbour didn't just do this out of the goodness of his heart.

I feel two consecutive life sentences in this case was dumb as hell, personally. But this is how they do it in MS, and LA for that matter. Especially for ethnic minority females, this is what you can expect if you break any laws....or not. LOL

Also, I think this is a bad precedent to set....releasing someone early based on their promise to donate a part of their body to someone else? I mean, I'm glad they get out and the sister on dialysis gets to die in peace, but too bad they're not being released under different circumstances.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • girlspicegirlspice Posts: 73Registered Users
    I hate to say that my first thought after reading the story was they are only being released because of the cost to the state, also. Why else would the donation of one sister's kidney be a condition of her release if she already volunteered to donate her kidney?

Also, the sister requiring daily dialysis has no such conditions for release (other than your typical parole conditions)? They are obviously just glad to get rid of her and her costs to the state. Which seems kind of silly in the end because they will still pay for her treatments and doc bills just in another way. There's no way she will find a job with benefits to pay for her pre-existing condition.
    Keep it simple :queen: Simply marvelous & simply wonderful!

Hair Type: 4a
    BC: November '09
    CoWash: VO5, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Leave In: JC Revitalizing Leave In, Homemade mix
    DT: AOHR, Lustrasilk's shea butter mango and olive oil cholesterol
    Daily Moisture: Coconut oil, shea butter
    Styling Products: MJ Baby Buttercreme, Eco Styler Gel, JC Nourish & Shine
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think Haley Barbour is doing this because he thinks he can satisfy everyone. The people that have been protesting for years to release these women and the people that think we shouldn't have to pay to keep prisoners alive get what they want, while the people who think all criminals should be locked up for good won't see him as soft on crime. It's a win-win-win. :rolleyes:
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file