Not so Protective Styling?

AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
Hi Lovelies,

I was kicking around another board and got to thinking about protective styling. How many of you all consistently PS? Does anyone not PS at all?

Personally, I don't PS....I do, however, leave my hair in twists for a week instead of rocking my weekly bandout. I don't define that as PSing because I'm not doing it for protection--but for the style alone.

Hmm actually now that I think of it...I PS on vacations to the beach and such. Whenever I have to worry about my hair getting wet multiple times in a day.
Lol this is very rambly. I'm just curious really...so how many of you all wear your hair OUT on a regular day to day basis? Regardless of season or temperature?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never PS. I wear my hair out everyday. BUT - I will say that is because my hair is not enough to put in a ponytail or bun yet, and twists take four hours to do and look terrible on me. I wore wigs for a little, but it was difficult to alternate between the wigs and wearing my hair out because I would have to keep braiding wet hair, and it took forever to dry, and I was afraid that wigs on wet braids would make my wigs mildew.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I voted "never".

I'm wash n go everyday. I'm so glad I cut my hair off because having it longer and wearing my anemic buns and ponytails was getting on my nerves. I don't have thick hair (I have a lot but thin thin invisible strands) so my ponytail would barely make an inch around.. what's the point? I cut it, hair's healthier, dries faster, and I am happier for it.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    I ps in the winter months, but mostly for convenience, lol, since hat hair is not cute along with semi-frozen hair. I'm in Minnesota.

Okay, the truth, I'm lazy & throwing my hair into a ponytail, bun, or French braid for a few days is easy.
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I voted that I PS for style. Back when I was still transitioning, I was part of a PS challenge. However since then, I haven't really protective styled for the sake of retaining length/preventing breakage. If I protective style now, it's for cosmetic/time-saving purposes only. (i.e. last week I wore an updo several times, but that was mainly because it was a quick & easy style.)

eventpng
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    During the winter months, my hair is in a protective style 100% of the time.

The rest of the year, it varies. But because my hair isn't short, and there's a lot of it, I appreciate the convenience of protective styling. I don't have time for "wash n go" styles, which seem to be more trouble/time consuming than the name suggests.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I voted all day everyday. My go to protective style is mini twists. Leaving my hair out unstretched leads to matting and other disasters that aren't worth the risk for me. I can't do wash n go's. I occasionally wear twist outs but that's usually after wearing the twists for a few days and then I don't even wear the twist out that long.

I have to say though that PS'ing is NOT helping me keep split ends at bay. I'm about at my wits end with this here hair right now :cussing:
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • AllycoilsAllycoils Posts: 147Registered Users
    I voted for "all day everyday" but that's really just for right now. Once I decided to stop using heat on my hair in my transition, I've been wearing a bun every. single. day. since october. Once I BC next week, I doubt I will ever really use protective styles.

I think the benefits of protective styling vary from person to person. My hair grows just as much when it's out, but I notice that wearing my bun is causing stress on my edges. so for me, protective styling = overrated (I also can't wear twists as a PS because my hair is fine)

event.png

Funky 4a
    Fotki link in profile
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I voted "all day everyday". I wear buns and updos 85% of the time. If I wear my hair out, it's usually in a puff.

I like PSing cause it looks good and saves time. I love the fact that I can sculpt my hair into tons of awesome shapes--My hair is a like a portable work of art! :) Also, I have found that keeping my hair stretched and protective styling has cut down on the number of tangles I get.

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I voted "never".

I'm wash n go everyday. I'm so glad I cut my hair off because having it longer and wearing my anemic buns and ponytails was getting on my nerves. I don't have thick hair (I have a lot but thin thin invisible strands) so my ponytail would barely make an inch around.. what's the point? I cut it, hair's healthier, dries faster, and I am happier for it.

love the haircut!

and once again, i'm with bekka poo. i never protective style. the most i'll do is wear my hair in a bun for several days and i only do that because i'm tired of dealing with my hair.

for my hair, there really is no point to protective styling. when i wear it down, it tends to shrink up above my shoulders, so its not rubbing on my clothes. now it's to the point where it hits my shoulders while curly but it's also to the point where i'm ready for a haircut. LOL
    subbrock wrote: »

love the haircut!

and once again, i'm with bekka poo. i never protective style. the most i'll do is wear my hair in a bun for several days and i only do that because i'm tired of dealing with my hair.

for my hair, there really is no point to protective styling. when i wear it down, it tends to shrink up above my shoulders, so its not rubbing on my clothes. now it's to the point where it hits my shoulders while curly but it's also to the point where i'm ready for a haircut. LOL

Thank you! Do you have any pictures of your hair these days?

As I was growing it out, seemed like the longer it got, the more jealous I got of the ladies with TWA's and medium length hair.. lol Now I have a twa in the back, and medium up front.. best of both worlds.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

As I was growing it out, seemed like the longer it got, the more jealous I got of the ladies with TWA's and medium length hair.. lol Now I have a twa in the back, and medium up front.. best of both worlds.

i updated my fotki a few days ago. it's the same old wash n go's.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users

love the haircut!

I agree. Great haircut, BekkaPoo!

I voted that I PS just as a style, but I wasn't really sure how to answer the poll. I don't have an issue with protective styles per se, but some, like twists or braids on just my hair, really don't look that great on me because my hair is thin and fine. They look scalpy on me and I don't have the inclination to spend 6 hours putting my hair in mini twists to make them look halfway decent. And because my edges are fragile and extremely thin, I can't put my entire head into a bun. I'd be more enthusiastic about protective styling if I had thick hair. Lately, I've been wearing the top of my hair out and putting the rest of it into a bun so that my edges won't get stressed as much but the ends in the front are getting a little ragged due to the cold. I am planning to get kinky twist extensions in the next couple of weeks not just for a protective style, but to take a break from doing my hair all the time.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    i updated my fotki a few days ago. it's the same old wash n go's.

I just checked it.. yeah your hair is getting to the length where I would say "stop", no more length than that for me.
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    I agree. Great haircut, BekkaPoo!

I voted that I PS just as a style, but I wasn't really sure how to answer the poll. I don't have an issue with protective styles per se, but some, like twists or braids on just my hair, really don't look that great on me because my hair is thin and fine. They look scalpy on me and I don't have the inclination to spend 6 hours putting my hair in mini twists to make them look halfway decent. And because my edges are fragile and extremely thin, I can't put my entire head into a bun. I'd be more enthusiastic about protective styling if I had thick hair. Lately, I've been wearing the top of my hair out and putting the rest of it into a bun so that my edges won't get stressed as much but the ends in the front are getting a little ragged due to the cold. I am planning to get kinky twist extensions in the next couple of weeks not just for a protective style, but to take a break from doing my hair all the time.

Thank you LadyV.. and ITA with the bolded.

I guess PS is just not made for thin/fine strands. :shrug:
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    Fronomenal wrote: »
    I voted "all day everyday". I wear buns and updos 85% of the time. If I wear my hair out, it's usually in a puff.

I like PSing cause it looks good and saves time. I love the fact that I can sculpt my hair into tons of awesome shapes--My hair is a like a portable work of art! :) Also, I have found that keeping my hair stretched and protective styling has cut down on the number of tangles I get.

^^^^^That's me, too! It's been awhile since I even wore a puff, because I figured out that I was getting SSK on my ends:tongue2:. That, and having a newborn and a toddler and working FT means that I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on my hair. I "do" it once, maybe twice a week. It works for me, and it helps me to retain length without even really trying.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users
    im not sure how to answer this. i consider twists ps and i twist my hair at night sometimes but not always and i definitely dont walk out the house like that. i have been wearing buns and hats a lot in the winter months. ive slipped back into my neglectful phase though so idk if the ps really counts if im not moisturizing daily and my hair is dry for like weeks at a time other than water. i do it because i know winter is hard on hair but mostly because my hair goes places in the wind lol id rather not have my fro blowing all over the place :afro:

we have polls now? have we always had them? O.o
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AmberBrown wrote: »
    Hi Lovelies,

I was kicking around another board and got to thinking about protective styling. How many of you all consistently PS? Does anyone not PS at all?

Personally, I don't PS....I do, however, leave my hair in twists for a week instead of rocking my weekly bandout. I don't define that as PSing because I'm not doing it for protection--but for the style alone.

Hmm actually now that I think of it...I PS on vacations to the beach and such. Whenever I have to worry about my hair getting wet multiple times in a day.
    Lol this is very rambly. I'm just curious really...so how many of you all wear your hair OUT on a regular day to day basis? Regardless of season or temperature?

i never wear protective styles b.c i'm too cheap/lazy/restless to get twists or braids or w/e. i have been wearing buns alot lately, but that's b/c i'm hella lazy
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    I answered less for protection and more for style ; which is the partial truth. I use it on lazy days. Days that I am running late, which is almost every other day in the winter. I hate going outside when it is cold. So I procrastinate while getting ready for work. Thus, the bun or a banana clip. Like most of you already said, my hair is not thick enough for protective styling. I prefer to wear my hair out.

@BekkaPoo: love the new cut! :thumbright:

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    im not sure how to answer this. i consider twists ps and i twist my hair at night sometimes but not always and i definitely dont walk out the house like that. i have been wearing buns and hats a lot in the winter months. ive slipped back into my neglectful phase though so idk if the ps really counts if im not moisturizing daily and my hair is dry for like weeks at a time other than water. i do it because i know winter is hard on hair but mostly because my hair goes places in the wind lol id rather not have my fro blowing all over the place :afro:

we have polls now? have we always had them? O.o
    LOL! Yea we've always had polls. People do them a lot actually. I'm not sure how to do one myself though.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    YAY! I didn't expect to get so many responses (especially so detailed :D ). I realize the poll options aren't very diverse...I was so excited to see that polling was an option that I got kind of hasty lol.

This is all very interesting...when I'm out and about IRL I notice more naturals with out hair then in. But online I see and read about more people PSing than not...
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    I have no idea what I do! Lol!

Sometimes I protective style and sometimes I'm just being lazy.

Twists and buns are just easy styles for me to do b/c wash n go look bad on my uneven growing hair.
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am wearing buns 5 to 6 days a week. Thats usually my go to ps. Its tough though. Im starting to really like my hair out but this is the longest my hair has ever been and the only reason it got here was because my whole preg. I mainly left my hair in buns. Now that its long im wanting to have it out but its starting to break. So buns again for a few months.
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Posts: 492Registered Users
    I do twist-outs every week. I may leave my hair in twists for a day or two but that's it. Today I clipped my hair up because I didn't feel like doing it. Maybe when my hair get longer, I'll leave the twists in for more days.
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    My answer is sometimes.... which wasn't even an option on the poll!
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    My answer is sometimes.... which wasn't even an option on the poll!

Yeah, that should've been the 4th option. I was tripping and forgot. No biggie though...that's what the responses are for lol.
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted never - I wear my hair out 95% of the time. I like twists on other people, but am not crazy about them on me. Occasionally I'll put my hair in a puff.
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I voted I PS but not for protection but for the style. I wear my hair out probably 95% of the time. I do twists / twistout about every 2 - 3 months and wear them for about a week, then I'm back to wearing it out.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • PeachNapPeachNap Posts: 25Registered Users
    I should PS, but I didn't know how to do it on my own and I don't have the money (unemployed and just graduated after all). I'm going to try doing some flat twists in a few days.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Every now and then.

I wore my hair in a bun in the early part of the week, but I took it down yesterday. I guess I got sick of wearing my hair that way. Since my hair is long, its easy enough to put it back if I want to. I just make one huge twist and secure it with a comb after sealing my ends. It really only works if my hair is wet after washing or stretched (and dry) from twist-outs.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 860Registered Users Curl Novice
    I voted that I only PS mainly for the style.

I mean, sometimes I purposely PS because my hair tangles easy, but most of the time I PS simply because I get tired of feeling my hair on the back of my neck.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wear my hair loose almost every day, protective every night without fail. Occasionally I'll bun during the day.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file