4a Long Term Transitions

prettyporscheprettyporsche Posts: 22Registered Users
To those who transitioned long term, how long did you transition? I think I want to BC for Christmas next year & I will be almost 17 months post. (I got a little excited about my new growth & cut a piece off my relaxed hair lol)

Comments

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    I went for 24 months (still going), but I only got relaxers 3-4 times a year in college. I technically may still have relaxed ends since I haven't trimmed since April. A few straight hairs here and there. If you feel like cutting just do a little at a time. I did get a bob cut in '09, so that took off about 3 to 4 inches of hair. I'm at shoulder length right now I think, but I have straightened my hair over 8 months. Best of luck to you in your transition. :thumbleft:
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    I transitioned for 22 months--see my siggy, almost APL everywhere excepting the center front to almost crown area where my hair is cut to collar bone length when stretched.
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • SuperCoilsSuperCoils Posts: 16Registered Users
    Hi!

I transitioned for 16 months and 3 weeks, cutting my hair on August 22nd, 2010. Now my longest layer is about 2-3 inches away from my bra-strap (right in between my shoulder blades). My favorite style was braid-n'-curls. Setting lotion will be your best friend :thumbright:

Good Luck!
    ----
    Shampoo: Terressentials Lavender
    Conditioner: None
    Leave In: Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer, QB AOHC
    Detanglers: Shea Moisture Yucca and Baobab Conditioner, Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia, or Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk

Stylers: Camille Rose Naturals Whipped Aloe Gel, Anita Grant Creamy Cafe Latte, QB BRBC and HTBSG

Currently in PJ Recovery :thumright:
  • prettyporscheprettyporsche Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thanks ladies. I'm almost at my 5th month & it's only getting harder especially since I'm a freshman in college & don't have much time to spend on my hair. Did the transition get easier as time went on?
  • AllycoilsAllycoils Posts: 147Registered Users
    I'm transitioning until Jan 8, and that will be 16 months post.

hang in there! although it should be noted that the back of my hair is completely natural and is growing much faster than the still transitioning areas.

event.png

Funky 4a
    Fotki link in profile
    Congrats Allycoils. I hope I can't wait until I get that far
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I stopped texlaxing and went for 14 months before finally chopping it off (3rd cut).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I stopped texlaxing and went for 14 months before finally chopping it off (3rd cut).

How long was your hair (unstretched) after 14 months?
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    I transitioned for 17 months. I did rollersets and buns with occasional mini chops.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • brwnskinbella84brwnskinbella84 Posts: 10Registered Users
    I transitioned for 13 months (BCd June 2010). To help me get that far, I did twist outs, wore braids and got blowouts by the Dominicans (I don't advise the latter). It was my initial goal to transition for 18 months, but one Sunday I was getting ready to do my weekly hair ritual and I was just fed up with the two textures. I had shampooed and conditioned my hair, and could clearly see that I had a good amount of new growth to work with, so I cut a big piece of straight hair in the crown of my head. Then I cut some more pieces...and an hour later, I was staring at a pile of permed hair on my bathroom counter. It was the best "spur of the moment" decision I had made, and I feel like my hair has flourished ever since.
    comic-p.jpg
    lisa6 wrote: »
    I transitioned for 17 months. I did rollersets and buns with occasional mini chops.
    How often did you do the mini chops? Ur hair is gorgeous btw
    I transitioned for 13 months (BCd June 2010). To help me get that far, I did twist outs, wore braids and got blowouts by the Dominicans (I don't advise the latter). It was my initial goal to transition for 18 months, but one Sunday I was getting ready to do my weekly hair ritual and I was just fed up with the two textures. I had shampooed and conditioned my hair, and could clearly see that I had a good amount of new growth to work with, so I cut a big piece of straight hair in the crown of my head. Then I cut some more pieces...and an hour later, I was staring at a pile of permed hair on my bathroom counter. It was the best "spur of the moment" decision I had made, and I feel like my hair has flourished ever since.
    Wow your hair did grow a lot after your bc
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've transitioned twice, and both times I chopped at 15 months. I guess that's my magic number. I never set a goal for the BC, but I ended up chopping when I got fed up with the two textures. I was able to conceal the two textures with braid-outs, pincurls, etc., but I couldn't really pull off a good wash and go, which is how I wore my hair most of the time (especially the second time, since I was transitioning from a biosoftener, which left my hair pretty curly).

I actually think the first few months of my transition were the toughest in terms of tangles.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte

This is me around a month after the final chop. Hair is shrunken and frizzy from rain and humidity.
    206jeanne-vi.jpg

4 months later so the above is not so far off.
    IMG_72-vi.jpg
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

This is me around a month after the final chop. Hair is shrunken and frizzy from rain and humidity.
    206jeanne-vi.jpg

4 months later so the above is not so far off.
    IMG_72-vi.jpg
    Oh okay. That's a pretty good length
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice

Aww thanks! My hair sat right between APL and BSL. I cut it just below my shoulders (just enough to be able to secure the ends under for a bun). About every 3 months, I'd cut the relaxed ends to maintain the same length. Once I had enough new growth to make a bun, I cut the remaining relaxed ends off. I guess they were more like trims than mini chops LOL.

Happy transitioning!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES

Aww thanks! My hair sat right between APL and BSL. I cut it just below my shoulders (just enough to be able to secure the ends under for a bun). About every 3 months, I'd cut the relaxed ends to maintain the same length. Once I had enough new growth to make a bun, I cut the remaining relaxed ends off. I guess they were more like trims than mini chops LOL.

Happy transitioning!
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file