hair matting/locing in places - w/ pics and another question

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
my hair is growing for sure but my issue is retaining the length. my biggest problem is that with my hair type even when i wear protective styles like two strand twists (not too tiny) and moisturize very well my hair sort of locs/mats together. i end up having to pull it apart and i feel that causes unnecessary breakage or tearing no matter how gently i do it. it sort of looks like a web to give you a visual.

what do y'all suggest for a technique, product or anything to keep my hair from matting together?? this is the biggest thing keeping me from longer lengths i think. i would appreciate some help ladies!

here's a recent pic of my hair.

here's a pic of the matting i'm talking about.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    what do yo use to moisturize?
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well i've used a few things. i sometimes use afro detangler. i recently started using qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream, the amla seemed to think and sat on my hair. i apply moisturizer liberally all over my hair.

i avoid gels and gelly type products which i feel make my hair "stick" together. i have used design essentials stretch cream and also bee mine curly butter (cream stylers) but i use them with a light hand on top of well moisturized hair. i use oyin burnt sugar pomade to give my hair a little shine and for the scent and i don't even use that every day. on my ends when i twist, i'll use a shea butter based product, it varies what i use.

i don't leave the twists in long (i.e. more than a week). i typically don't use heat to dry my twists. if i don't untwist the next morning after i twist i pin the back in to an updo and leave a few in the front out.
    while your hair is in twists, do you still moisturize them?

Also are you sealing your hair before you twist? Do you twist while wet or dry?
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I find that my hair clumps together too well when I do twists. This leads to more tangling and knots. I stay away from twist-out and stick to braid-outs. Braids stretch my hair more than twists.

My advice would be to try stretching your hair via braid-outs or braid-n-curls (braid-out with ends set on perm rods). You can wear the braid-out as is or style the braid-out hair. If you wear the braid-out as is, you can loosely braid your hair nightly or pineapple (YouTube - NIGHT TIME ROUTINE: PINEAPPLE METHOD ON 4 type NATURAL HAIR) to keep your hair stretched.

Once a week, I do a braid-n-curl and style the result into a bun or updo. I keep the style in for a week and then start the process all over. Keeping my hair stretched has reduced tangles, made detangling easier and aided in length retention. I hope this helps! :)

coilynapp wrote: »

well i mist them with jane carter's revitalizing spray but honestly not every day.

i seal the ends with a butter type product or maybe a little oyin bsp. i twist when my hair is dry and misted with the jane carter (actually i realize as i'm typing this that maybe i get less matting when i twist on dry but lightly misted hair than on wetter hair).

i've noticed the matting is along the hair strand, not really the ends which it's why it's so frustrating. it is effecting my growth in the middle of my hair not even the ends which could be remedied with a trim (which i do regularly)
    Fronomenal wrote: »
    I find that my hair clumps together too well when I do twists. This leads to more tangling and knots.

My advice would be to keep your hair stretched. Try stretching your hair via braid-outs or braid-n-curls (braid-out with ends set on perm rods). You can wear the braid-out as is or style the braid-out hair. If you wear the braid-out as is, you can loosely braid your hair nightly or pineapple (YouTube - NIGHT TIME ROUTINE: PINEAPPLE METHOD ON 4 type NATURAL HAIR) to keep your hair stretched.

Once a week, I do a braid-n-curl and style the result into a bun or updo. I keep the style in for a week and then start the process all over. Keeping my hair stretched has reduced tangles, made detangling easier and aided in length retention. I hope this helps! :)

i sometimes use magnetic rollers on the ends and they do look nice and seem a bit more stretched. do you think the simple act of using 3 strands to twist (a braid out) instead of 2 strand twists helps? i never thought about that. i always just did 2 strand twists.
    luvmylocs wrote: »

well i mist them with jane carter's revitalizing spray but honestly not every day.

i seal the ends with a butter type product or maybe a little oyin bsp. i twist when my hair is dry and misted with the jane carter (actually i realize as i'm typing this that maybe i get less matting when i twist on dry but lightly misted hair than on wetter hair).

i've noticed the matting is along the hair strand, not really the ends which it's why it's so frustrating. it is effecting my growth in the middle of my hair not even the ends which could be remedied with a trim (which i do regularly)
    Ok, I was going on a theory and I think I might be right.

I don't know what your hair type is and what it can handle, but for me, I seal the length of my hair (I concentrate on the ends, but I get the whole length). If the length of your hair is loosing moisture and then you are not moisturizing your hair while you wear the twists, this may be why your hair is matting. Also make sure the products you are using have some kind of humectant because you want your moisture to last awhile

does this make sense?

you also might be right on the twisting when dry. I twist when my hair is dry lightly misted with water. Today though, I twisted when my hair was dripping wet (I never do this) and it worked out pretty well.

Anyway, try moisturizing really well (i like qb brbc) get the length of the hair as well as ends, and then also seal the length of the shaft concentrating on the ends (but not just the ends). Also moisturize while in twists. You can use a moisture spritz, or you can spritz with some water and apply some moisturizer and seal
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    my hair is growing for sure but my issue is retaining the length. my biggest problem is that with my hair type even when i wear protective styles like two strand twists (not too tiny) and moisturize very well my hair sort of locs/mats together. i end up having to pull it apart and i feel that causes unnecessary breakage or tearing no matter how gently i do it. it sort of looks like a web to give you a visual.

what do y'all suggest for a technique, product or anything to keep my hair from matting together?? this is the biggest thing keeping me from longer lengths i think. i would appreciate some help ladies!

This happens to me too. I just thought it was normal. I wish I had any tips for you to stop the matting, but I don't. :pale:

I could use tips on this as well. But I kind of think that due to the nature of my hair, this would be inevitable. I will say that this doesn't happen to me as much when my hair is in bigger twists. Then again, bigger twists don't stay in my hair as long as the smaller ones do.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

I don't know what your hair type is and what it can handle, but for me, I seal the length of my hair (I concentrate on the ends, but I get the whole length). If the length of your hair is loosing moisture and then you are not moisturizing your hair while you wear the twists, this may be why your hair is matting. Also make sure the products you are using have some kind of humectant because you want your moisture to last awhile

does this make sense?

you also might be right on the twisting when dry. I twist when my hair is dry lightly misted with water. Today though, I twisted when my hair was dripping wet (I never do this) and it worked out pretty well.

Anyway, try moisturizing really well (i like qb brbc) get the length of the hair as well as ends, and then also seal the length of the shaft concentrating on the ends (but not just the ends). Also moisturize while in twists. You can use a moisture spritz, or you can spritz with some water and apply some moisturizer and seal

thanks for the detailed response. you think i need to seal the whole length of my hair? i think i wondered if i was using TOO much product (not counting moisturizers) so i was trying to use less styler and sealers to avoid build-up, etc.

i think your suggestion to moisturize while in the twists daily is a good one. perhaps i need something more than a liquid moisturizer. when you moisturize in twists are you just smooshing a creamy moisturizer into the twist? i know that sounds basic but i want to figure this out.

btw, i added a link to a pic of my hair where you can see the texture pretty good on my first post. this will be my starting point for my hair growth tracking in 2011.
    CocoT wrote: »
    This happens to me too. I just thought it was normal. I wish I had any tips for you to stop the matting, but I don't. :pale:

I could use tips on this as well. But I kind of think that due to the nature of my hair, this would be inevitable. I will say that this doesn't happen to me as much when my hair is in bigger twists. Then again, bigger twists don't stay in my hair as long as the smaller ones do.

i agree on the big twists. i don't ever wear those out in public but they do seem to keep my hair from matting. i know we talked about it here before and several were saying small twist cause tangles and knots and i guess for me matting. i used to have locs. my hair loc'd easily and so i have to make a real effort to keep it from locing.

does this make sense?

thanks for the detailed response. you think i need to seal the whole length of my hair? i think i wondered if i was using TOO much product (not counting moisturizers) so i was trying to use less styler and sealers to avoid build-up, etc.

i think your suggestion to moisturize while in the twists daily is a good one. perhaps i need something more than a liquid moisturizer. when you moisturize in twists are you just smooshing a creamy moisturizer into the twist? i know that sounds basic but i want to figure this out.

btw, i added a link to a pic of my hair where you can see the texture pretty good on my first post. this will be my starting point for my hair growth tracking in 2011.
    OK first, you have GORGEOUS HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have similar hair textures except my hair at the nape of my neck is doing a funny 3c/4a thing. I have fine-med strands and my crown area is course. The nape of my hair is super fine

I do think you need to seal the length of your hair, no only will this help with moisture retention, it will lubricate your strands so that they don't stick to each other. I find that on days when I'm just really lazy and let my hair air dry in twists with no moisturizer, my hair does matt, this is why I suggest sealing the whole length. Just be really light handed obviously, you don't want a grease ball

When I moisturize with twists in, I spritz lightly with water, then I put about a quarter size amount of moisturizer in my palm, rub palms together and then apply all over hair. I don't concentrate on each twist, just grap and moisturize. also concentrating on the ends, but getting the full length of hair. Use more if needed. Then I seal (again, lightly)

Your sealant can be your twisting aid. For example, I moisturize with brbc, then I seal with the honey balm and proceed to twist. I only use two products, no buildup
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had the same issue when I wore WnG more often. Twist-outs usually curb that issue for me. I just cant wear my hair in a WnG and out too many times. Re-twisting in large twists alternating with pineapple at night helps a lot.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    thanks for the tips so far! i feel so encouraged that i can overcome this and grown my hair longer! :thumbleft:
    i sometimes use magnetic rollers on the ends and they do look nice and seem a bit more stretched. do you think the simple act of using 3 strands to twist (a braid out) instead of 2 strand twists helps? i never thought about that. i always just did 2 strand twists.
    Yes! My twist-outs result in hair that is more clumped together. My braid-outs lead to more stretched hair that tangles less and subsequently takes less time to detangle. I'll be doing braid-outs for a looong time.
    i end up having to pull it apart and i feel that causes unnecessary breakage or tearing no matter how gently i do it. it sort of looks like a web to give you a visual.
    This happens to a lesser extent with my braid-outs. I think it's normal...
    Your hair is very pretty! :)

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    luvmylocs, I love your hair! :) I'm adding you to my hair-inspiration. :afro:
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    wow you guys are nice and helpful!!!!

ok, let me explain that pic. mac had a contest so i was trying to take a pic to enter with. that was one of the many pics i took but did not submit.

i'm going to definitely try the braid out and also sealing the entire strand of my hair. i feel like i've made progress but considering i'm 4 years post bc from locs i should be much further along....oh well 2011 is my year for growth and retention!!!

i will do a better job of taking pics every couple of weeks or at least monthly. i want to see some major progress!!
  • freecurlfreecurl Posts: 281Registered Users
    Luvmylocks, your hair is absolutely beautiful!!!.
    I also wanted to add that I've experienced this problem as well. My strands would seem to "stick together" along the length, causing more tangles. This happened to me a lot even though I used tons of conditioner.
    I believe my problem was that the cuticle of my hair was raised. Products with a higher acidity closes the cuticle and make the hair shaft smoother, making it prone to less tangles. Cold water/air, apple cider vinegar rinses and aloe vera juice supposedly helps combat the issue.
    If the above tips don't work, maybe you can look into the cuticle issue. Please do research on this topic to find out more about it.
    Here's a link that talks about it more.

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Investigation: Does pH affect your hair cuticle?
    freecurl wrote: »
    Luvmylocks, your hair is absolutely beautiful!!!.
    I also wanted to add that I've experienced this problem as well. My strands would seem to "stick together" along the length, causing more tangles. This happened to me a lot even though I used tons of conditioner.
    I believe my problem was that the cuticle of my hair was raised. Products with a higher acidity closes the cuticle and make the hair shaft smoother, making it prone to less tangles. Cold water/air, apple cider vinegar rinses and aloe vera juice supposedly helps combat the issue.
    If the above tips don't work, maybe you can look into the cuticle issue. Please do research on this topic to find out more about it.
    Here's a link that talks about it more.

THE NATURAL HAVEN: Investigation: Does pH affect your hair cuticle?

thank you! your hair is very nice too.

now i never considered the cuticle issue. i felt like my hair was so well conditioned, i don't use heat, etc. but this is a good point. i will research. thanks!!
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    Your hair texture looks very similar to mines. For some strange reason when I don't take 2 even strands/sections to twist together and eventually end up borrowing hair from the other section, my hair tends to tangle up when I loose it out. (I dont know if that makes sense but I hope it helps). :dog:
    Kat718 wrote: »
    Your hair texture looks very similar to mines. For some strange reason when I don't take 2 even strands/sections to twist together and eventually end up borrowing hair from the other section, my hair tends to tangle up when I loose it out. (I dont know if that makes sense but I hope it helps). :dog:
    It makes sense! Borrowing hair when braiding or twisting leads to more tangles.

• vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 860Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks, luvmylocs, for starting this thread - I have issues with tangling/matting as well. Lots of great advice here that I intend to take. :thumbright:
    i was just reading that my biotera moisturizing leave in conditioner helps with the cuticles. i'm going to use that diligently when i twist now. i think infusium was supposed to serve the same purpose. anyone using that to help smooth their hair cuticles?
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I was going to say the same thing about doing acv rinses. I had the same problem with my daughter's hair getting knotted and tangles, her ponytail holders getting stuck in her hair resulting in clumps of hair coming out. When I would take down her braids or plaits small clumps would come out resulting in bald spots. I ws taking her hair down very carefully and it still happened. Her hair would get matted together also. I finally figured out it after all this time was because her cuticles weren't lying flat. So I started using acv rinses and I no longer have these problems. Also her hair stays softer longer because of doing them. I also use acv rinses in my hair if I'm having issues with tangles or whatever and thet helps.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG, your hair looks so good!

Large twists starting with dry hair. I don't even brush or comb. Just spritz very lightly with water then apply a lotion like KBB Ambrosia or Devacurl Set it Free, and a little Afroveda Curl Define and Qhemet OHHB on the twisted ends.

Day after a twistout I'll do large bantu knots since my curl pattern is almost non-existent then. I apply a little more KBB (or Afro Detangler), some OHHB then a few tiny drops of Loma Pearatin Repairative Serum to complete the loosening/detangling. After this I can easily brush my hair with my Mason Pearson nylon/boar bristle "Junior" or I will just gather the hair and bantu knot it. Depends on how much texture is left. Bantu knot-out gives me well-controlled hair that I can easily bun.

when I don't take 2 even strands/sections to twist together and eventually end up borrowing hair from the other section,
    Seriously bad practice - don't do it!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Day after a twistout I'll do large bantu knots since my curl pattern is so loose.
    This post reminded me that my hair fairs well in two-strand twist bantu-knot outs. They stretch my hair more than regular twist outs. I'll have to revisit the technique.

here's a pic of the matting i'm talking about. this is a small section of hair in a twistout. i just did the two strand twists last night.
    OMG, your hair looks so good!

Large twists starting with dry hair. I don't even brush or comb. Just apply a lotion like KBB Ambrosia or Devacurl Set it Free, and a little Afroveda Curl Define and Qhemet OHHB on the twisted ends.

Day after a twistout I'll do large bantu knots since my curl pattern is so loose. I apply a little more KBB (or Afro Detangler), some OHHB then a few tiny drops of Loma Pearatin Repairative Serum to complete the loosening/detangling. After this I can easily brush my hair with my Mason Pearson nylon/boar bristle "Junior" or I will just gather the hair and bantu knot it. Depends on how much texture is left. Bantu knot-out gives me well-controlled hair that I can easily bun.

sbb thanks for the compliment and the advice!!!!
    for those that suggested an acv rinse i have a question. i have avoided those because i felt like they left my hair dry and because i feel like i smelled like a salad once when i did the acv thing.

anyway, my question is what is the ideal acidity of a liquid rinse/leave-in to seal/close the hair cuticle? i just tested my biotera moisturizing leave-in and it's 5.5 ph. is that acidic enough?
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    for those that suggested an acv rinse i have a question. i have avoided those because i felt like they left my hair dry and because i feel like i smelled like a salad once when i did the acv thing.

anyway, my question is what is the ideal acidity of a liquid rinse/leave-in to seal/close the hair cuticle? i just tested my biotera moisturizing leave-in and it's 5.5 ph. is that acidic enough?

No, that product's PH level is a little higher than that of hair, which is 4.0-4.5.

Here's an article on ACV rinses that actually addresses some of the issues you're experiencing with your hair.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-the-scoop-on-vinegar
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • SmartkittySmartkitty Posts: 217Registered Users

here's a pic of the matting i'm talking about.

Interesting thread OP as I also have the sticky webby hair. I am a tightly coiled 4b. Reading this thread has made me wonder a few things.

- I have Roux PC for my cuticles, used once and did notice softer hair but found it added extra time to my routine which is already time consuming. I don't know that it got rid of sticky hair but will revisit.

- You mentioned Qhemet's Burdock Root - since I have come back to using this despite its superior moisturising effects, I have noticed stickier, cloying hair as though it builds up on my fine strands. Could fine hair be more prone to this sticking and webbing? Is it easier for product to build up on fine strands? If QBRC is the culprit it'll be a shame as it's the best moisturiser I've ever had. I never thought it could be causing a problem. could it be the sticking/velcro hair that causes tangles and maybe not a cuticle thing?

- I used to get this with shea butter too. It would cause hair to feel heavy, matt something terrible and then break in places.

- I also got this from doing search and destroy and ending up with strands at different lengths that then seemed to tangle more. I try not to do S&D anymore for that reason.

Sorry no solutions but I will be watching to see if anyone has combatted this successfully.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alice9nobaraAlice9nobara Posts: 34Registered Users
    I'm having this same problem. I'm 4b4a and my 4a spirals always get tangled/matted up in the the rest of my 4b hair. It's so frustrating to the point that I wish I was just 100% 4b. That'd be easier.
    ~Hair Goal~
    Shrinkage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :color:4bness!:color:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file