Aveda curly styling prep

dreamcurlsdreamcurls Posts: 104Registered Users
Has anyone tried this? It is brand new. It is part of their be curly line and is supposed to be used under their be curly curl enhancer. Supposedly this product has hold in it, which the be curly does not. The be curly curl enhancer didn't work for me, it weighed my hair down (great first day hair, but lank after that). I was thinking that since this has hold in it, and probably is lighter maybe this would work for me. Do you need to put a gel/mousse over this? I'm thinking probably. Any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Posts: 374Registered Users
    I don't really know about that product -but their other curl products did my hair in! I got a lot drier and less curl... I actually like their non-curly products better for my curls, I think they go heavy on the dimethicone on some of those...
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

http://animafoto.smugmug.com/

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
  • curlsAboundcurlsAbound Posts: 246Registered Users Curl Novice
    I quite liked Be Curly cream combined with Phomollient styling mousse ...
    2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
    loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG
    faithful to Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Moisturizing Gelly
    also the combo of Satsuma scented AOMM and Biolage Gelée
    Desert Essences Coconut shampoo and conditioner

Discount code:
    For $$$$ off at iherb.com, use this linked code: DEY827

I just purchased the new Be Curly styling prep ... it smells divine! Will let you know what it's like...

Discount code:

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Curlsabound, is it CG?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• chebabychebaby Posts: 143Registered Users
    i love the be curly curl enhancer. my hair however hates the be curly conditioner.
    i havent heard of this new product but when i go back to get color(maybe) i will look into this new product.
    Ok, I just typed out all the ingredients:

Be Curly style-prep with wheat protein
    all day frizz control, moisturization and curl definition
    water, VP copolymer, glycerin, propanediol, C14-22 Alchohols, Caprylyl Glycol, Decyl Glucoside, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Brazil Nut Protein, Aloe Leaf Juice, Phytosteryl Macadamiate, Hydroxypropyl Starch, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-100 Stearate, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Hydroxethylcellulose, Polyquaternium-4, Maltodextrin, Fragrance (Parfum), Citral, Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellelol, Eugenol, Limonenene, Sodium Chloride

I used it two days in a row with great results. Day one shampooed and conditioned with Desert Essences Coconut shampoo, Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm. Dried hair slightly with curl cloth, put on some Be Curly style prep and spread it through my hair. Then used some AG mousse gel and scrunched with the cloth. Great curls, good shine.

Day two mixed the style prep cream with some Biolage Gelée and raked it through with wet hands. Good day two hair! Love the smell of the style prep and the creaminess. You need very little and it is nice and moisturizing.

Can anyone tell me if it is CG? To my eyes, I see no silicones even though there is a polyquat .... Thoughts?

Discount code:

It looks CG to me. I stopped at a place today and checked it out. Looks nice...but $$$. Do you know if they accept returns on things like this if you don't like it?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

plunkybug wrote: »
    It looks CG to me. I stopped at a place today and checked it out. Looks nice...but $$$. Do you know if they accept returns on things like this if you don't like it?

They do accept returns; just keep the receipt. You need very, very little when applying it.

Discount code:

plunkybug wrote: »

They do accept returns; just keep the receipt. You need very, very little when applying it.

Awesome. I might see if it is cheaper in the states when I'm there next month. Right now all excess money is being saved for said trip, so $20+ curl prep will be on hold for now. :P

• slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    Does anyone know how the Be Curly style prep compares to Aveda's smooth infusion style prep?

I'm a 3a/b and currently use Aveda's smooth infusion style prep (followed by Aveda's be curly curl enhancer and Aveda's phomollient with a little bit of Aveda's light elements texturizing cream for finishing.) I'm curious how the Be Curly style prep would be instead of the smooth infusion style prep?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
    slivola wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the Be Curly style prep compares to Aveda's smooth infusion style prep?

I'm a 3a/b and currently use Aveda's smooth infusion style prep (followed by Aveda's be curly curl enhancer and Aveda's phomollient with a little bit of Aveda's light elements texturizing cream for finishing.) I'm curious how the Be Curly style prep would be instead of the smooth infusion style prep?

I asked the saleswoman about the difference and she said that the Be Curly style prep encourages the curl more and will help you get a better curl with less frizz ... Oh, and btw, I love the smell of the texturizing cream ... mmmm!

Discount code:

Day three and curls still happy!

Discount code:

curlsAbound- thanks so much for the info about the differences. Did you use the smooth infusion style prep in the past? I've been very happy with it (and I just opened a new bottle) but I have a feeling I might be switching to the be curly one once the sample I ordered (from Aveda's website) arrives in the mail.

Another question for you- did you use the be curly style prep on days two and three to reactivate your curls?

Yes, I love the scent of all Aveda's products!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Color
    Maintenance:
  • ElvishThistleElvishThistle Posts: 130Registered Users
    I have yet to try this stuff but in general I really like Aveda's products. I love the smell of them and some of my favorites are pretty CG. I walked into Aveda the other day and the salesperson handed me a sample of the style prep (I was buying something else). I'll report back with how I like it I can't wait to try it out. :)
    Fine, 3a/3b
    Modified CG
    Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
    Conditioner: AOHR, AOGPB, Suave Coconut, vo5 Kiwi, etc
    Style
    HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it
    Honey/AVG only in the summer

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
    My hair loves Protein!

I got my be curly style prep sample in the mail from aveda and I tried it last night. I did my usual routine of style prep+ be curly enhancer +phomollient but instead used the new be curly style prep rather than my usual smooth infusion style prep.

I like how it looks- not sure which way I like better yet. I have 3 a/b hair depending on how I style it. My usual routine gives me more volume and 3a curls with some waves. This new product makes it much curlier- 3b everywhere. Less volume and the length is about one inch shorter than usual because of the super curl. My hair looks very defined, not crunchy, more curly and less full. It did feel like I had more product in my hair than I'm used to- hard to explain but my hair feels coated. Not sure if I like that feeling though. Like a lot of aveda products, it takes a few tries to get the right amount. This product does have some hold and stickiness feeling to it (the smooth infusion style prep doesn't) when you emulsify it in your hands, so I think I might need less than I used (I used about the size of a nickle) because I don't like that product feeling.

I will try again with it today on day 2 and next time I wash, I will use less product. I tend to like more volume in the winter time since hair needs that extra oomph, so I might stick with the smooth infusion style prep this time of year and the be curly style prep in the summer when I need more control, definition and less volume.

Hope this review helps! Can't wait to see what the rest of you think!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    I wanted to give an update as I've been using the be curly style prep daily and experimenting with it different ways. I love it on non wash days added to hair spritzed with water and diffused. Comes out looking like day one!

I also tried it using aveda's smooth infusion style prep (my HG leave in until this new product!) + aveda curl enhancer +phomollient and then just a dab of the be curly style prep when my hair was about 50% dry and finished with the diffuser. That way turned out great, too. A little more fluffy than if I had started off with it as my first product.
    So many options, but this product is a keeper!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Now that I'm finally getting my hair pics uploaded, I thought I would post the difference of how it looks with and without aveda's be curly style prep. Both photos are taken from the side profile angle.

1) First pic (brighter lightening with a flash)
    Aveda's smooth infusion style prep +aveda's be curly enhancer+ their phomollient.
    2) Second pic (darker lightening with a flash) has the new be curly style prep + aveda's phomollient + be curly enhancer.

Both pics are finished with aveda's light elements texturizing cream after fully dried with diffuse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    And this pic might be easier to see the difference with the new be curly style prep in comparison to the brighter pic from above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
  • BeebopBeebop Posts: 457Registered Users Curl Novice
    Your hair is beautiful! I wish I had that much body and even curl pattern!
    Does the phomollient hold your curl all day? I tried it the first time with a sample of the be curly shampoo & Cond.& be curly curl enhancer and the first time it looked great, some of the best curls I've seen, I had gone out for the evening so didn't see it last all day. Then the next time I tried it with my GFTN cond. rinsed out and it didn't seem to hold all day, went a little flat later, maybe I need more than I used ( can't remember how much I used) I loved the soft feeling though and then tried the flax aloe gel and it had too much crunch that didn't scrunch out. I don't want to spend that much on the shamp. & Cond. if thats what made it work though. Thanks for your help. I'm a 2b/3a, med. to fine with med. to high porosity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
    Thanks, Beebop! Your hair is so pretty and I think looser curls like yours are ideal for phomollient. I use a total of 1 1/2 pumps if that helps give you a starting place. The directions say 3-5 pumps but I don't like feeling too coated. You might need a little more than I use though if you want more body and hold. I didn't find it held all day (I noticed the bottom layer of my hair kind of lost its shape by the end of the day) so I started adding the texturizing cream last month- just a dab- and that was the missing piece of my routine for me. It really adds volume, stacks out the layers, adds hold and a little texture. I have fine hair but hate hair spray so this seems to be the perfect solution. I just use one dab after my hair is dry and lightly scrunch all over. I realized in my quest for fullness and softness I needed to add a little more texture and hold to keep the style. I think a dab of phomollient on dry hair would do the same thing for you though. I do that sometimes if I need a little extra hold on the front section.

My favorite for phomollient on dry hair is for day 2. I brush out (I know, such a no no for so many of us but I like the volume since I have fine hair). Then I add one pump of phomollient onto dry hair from roots to ends and then dampen my hands and smooth it over my dry hair just to get it slightly damp. Then a dab of emulsified curl enhancer or the new be curly style prep and diffuse. Wow, very full. Then a dab of the texturizing cream to smooth it out (or your enhancer would work).

About the shampoo and conditioner- I haven't had great luck with them. I find them kind of heavy feeling and I had a hard time detangling. I did notice my hair might have been slightly curlier when using the conditioner, but I'm not sure. Sometimes I combine a hydrate and volumizing shampoo and I do that as well for conditioner. I find that combo keeps my curls healthy and hydrated yet not weighed down. I think that combo would work with whatever brand you use.

Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    P.S. I should add that for curl formation, the new aveda be curly style prep has really helped boost that for me. I know a few wavier women like you who started using the be curly style prep + phomollient + enhancer and they said it gave them tons of curl and volume. They said it made their waves looks like curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    P.S. I should add that for curl formation, the new aveda be curly style prep has really helped boost that for me. I know a few women with looser curls like yours who started using the be curly style prep + phomollient + enhancer and they said it gave them tons of curl and volume. They said it made their waves looks like curls. I am noticeably more curly when I use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I'm sooooooo tempted to try this! It's definitely going on my wish list.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
    curlyserf- you could probably get a sample of almost any aveda product to try if you find a salon that sells their products. The exception would be the phomollient because you need the pump to make the liquid foam. Most aveda salons have a great return policy.

Today was a bad hair day. I only used one pump of the phomollient just to see if there was a difference. My hair was limp at the roots and I literally had four different curl types that were very visible. I wound up taking a pump of phomollient on dry hair and scrunching it throughout. Then I spot scrunched another pump on sections that looked frizzy or uneven with curl. Dries instantly since it was on dry hair. Then a dab of a serum/oil type product to smooth the product. Amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Thanks slivola!
    I tried my sample of the be curly style prep alone tonight since I don't have the phomollient yet and it gave me very soft, silky feeling waves and curls...seems to boost the curl but I did have a little frizz but then considering I didn't have any other product on my hair it's not bad, I thing I'll have to try the phomollient again with this since I didn't have this product before and I didn't like the crunchy dry feeling of the flaxseed aloe gel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
    Just saw this post now (after I replied to you in a different thread). That's good you got the style prep to start off your experimenting with. The phomollient will add a little more hold, shine and volume.

I think you might also need the be curly curl enhancer (I know, such a pain to need so many products) but it really helps with what you're describing. Helps define each strand of hair so that it's less frizzy but still natural and soft looking. It doesn't boost curls, just enhances whatever you have. Seems to work well in combo with the style prep and phomollient. I prefer to add just a pea-dime size of it after phomollient to kind of soften it up. Not that phomollient gets crunchy at all, but it is still an additional product so I like to get that softness back. But the enhancer has one cone (phenyl Trimethicone) in it about halfway through the ingredient list so that might not be an option for you. Something I often do instead is just add a pea size of the be curly style prep AFTER the phomollient (so you're essentially layering it first and last) to accomplish the same thing and that helps. Also, you might be able to add a dab of the style prep as your last product before drying and that helps with frizz and a little more hold.

If you are considering the text. cream like you mentioned in a different thread, I just checked and it does have dimethicone in it and it's the third ingredient. So maybe just start out by buying the phomollient and then also experimenting with a dab of that on dry hair, too, for spot styling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Thank you for all your help...you are quite the Aveda expert!! I'll let you know when I finally get back to the store to try it because I'd prefer to use more natural products like Aveda buy hate the price tag that goes along with it. Your hair turned out so beautiful that you are an inspiration to all of us curlies! I may just get the Phomollient and another sample of the curl prep and see how it goes. Thanks again.
    Awe, thanks, you're so sweet! Aveda products have transformed my hair as I have gradually converted to their line starting in Dec 2009. It's been a long process but I feel like I finally have found my HG products.

I couldn't use the style prep alone without anything else. It's just not enough product for me. The closest I came when I tried just used that along with the curl enhancer. That enhancer really helps if you're doing so few products. Less volume without the phomollient, but a nice natural look. About day 2 or 3 hair, if you want to refresh with only the style prep, that works best fully dampening your hair and adding more style prep and scrunching it in (or combing it through if you do that) and then diffusing, etc. I've gotten nice day 2s from that but the roots looked limp without my fave phomollient. I love that stuff! Sounds similar to the 3-in-1 mousse you're using though. Maybe the style prep plus the mousse you like would be a good combo for you.

I know, aveda is pricey but I figured it out and I use so much less of their products that they last me significantly longer than other products so the price winds up being similar. For example, my phomollient lasted me 10 months. My curl enhancer I've already had for over a year and it feels like I still have a couple oz left so that should give me until summertime. The style prep smooth infusion that I use as my leave in lasted me 11 months. So when I add up what I spend on products per year, it's really not that much. I also love the feeling of having such a tiny quantity of product in my hair to get the results I do since I cannot stand the feeling of heavy products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Thats amazing those products have lasted you that long...So it's definately worth the money! It seems the cheaper the product, the more you need...( they probably water it down to make us use more and buy more often! ) So I may be making a trip for phomollient today. I'm amazed with all your hair that you get away with so little. You must have a pretty strong curl pattern alone. I find without product I have lots of waves, some curls and lots of frizz being that my hair is on the fine side.
    It's only aveda that I use so little product. I find that I use more products now- on average four or five but small amounts. Seems to address everything I need without building up. I think my curl pattern is a little curlier than yours, but it looks significantly more wavy and less curly without the new style prep.

I've attached a pic I found from March 2009 before I was using aveda (I was also using gel rather than foam). I remember thinking that my hair looked really good in this pic but when I look at it now, I think it's noticeable how much better it looks with Aveda. I still had my one strong curl in the front and some curls on the ends, but I was never able to get the volume I have now, and then by adding additional products in order to try to get some texture, it got weighed down and lost its curl pattern. Also didn't look as shiny or healthy overall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Low Poo
    Color
    Maintenance:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file