losing my hair

DominaDomina Posts: 75Registered Users
when i detangle, style or touch my hair it comes out. at first i thought maybe i was just too heavy handed but now it seems like my hair is just like it's not mine at all. i'm a 4a and i've been natural since 03' so it's not like i don't know how to take care of my hair. i have highlights and for some reason in the past whenever my hair started to flip out a little i would just dye it black and it seemed to go back to normal but this time i want to keep my highligts. does anyone know what might be going on with my hair?

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Is the hair that's coming out the highlights? What color are your highlights? Is it shedding or is it breaking? You may need a dose of protein to strengthen your hair followed by a moisturizing treatment. When I was heat frying and getting my hair relaxed, I remember that my hair was so weak. It would be all over the floor and my back whenever I touched it or combed it. A protein treatment and general hair care practices could have saved my hair back then.

What do you do to your hair from day to day?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • DominaDomina Posts: 75Registered Users
    my highlights are auburn. i know it's breakage because there is no bulb on the end of the hair so it's def. not shed hair. i only do wash n go's protective styles look horrible on me. i thought about a protein treatment too but i'm just afraid of causing further damage if my hair becomes too hard.
    That's why after you do a protein treatment, especially if it isn't moisturizing or has any moisturizing ingredients, you should follow up with a moisturizing conditioner or at least moisturize you hair really well. I just did a natural protein treatment treatment last night and it doesn't make my hair hard at all. I just made sure to follow up with good moisturizers. The Aphogee protein treatment is very hardcore so I'd be careful if you're looking into that. On YouTube though, Taren916 got some good results from it. I'm mentioning her because she's the most recent one I've seen use it on Youtube.

What kind of protective styles do you try? Twists, buns, braids, etc?

You should probably incorporate a trim, some protein to strengthen and moisture into your regimen. If you're afraid of the protein, maybe just focus on moisture right now and see if that helps. At this point if you're experiencing breakage like you are, which is pretty bad, I think any of the things I mentioned would only help you.

What kind of products do you use?
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    i use moisture maniac, taliah wajid herbal conditioner, or gvp paul mitchell detangler, as rinse out and co-wash conditioners. i use taliah wajid protective mist bodifier as a leave in (with a little castor oil). i style with butter madness or shea-moisture curl and hold smoothie. i use curls creme brulee for moisture.
  • sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users
    You need protein. Try Nexxus emergencee. It works wonders. Also Komaza protein treatment is way better than apohgee (sp). You may also need a leave-in with wheat protein. Also look for a conditioner with keratin in it. I've heard that Curl Junkie Repair me is good. But it's way overpriced and I can't recommend it because of the price. Haven't heard any 4a's rave about it.
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
    i probally do need protein, i tried devacurl, giovani products, and joico k-pak a while back and they made my hair dry so i thought i was protein sensitive. i've been trying to avoid protein but i guess i should pick up that nexxus emergencee, aphogee smells horrible and it scares me to be honest, and curl junky takes to long to get here.
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    Or go to the store an pick up some plain, full fat yogurt. Or mayonaise. Apply to dry hair. Leave on for about 30 minutes (less if you think you are sensitive). Voila - protein treatment. Be sure to shampoo out and follow with a moisturizing deep treatment.

Based on your description, that sounds like what you need. I agree with the previous posters. Whenever you color, you should always follow up with a strong protein treatment to help keep up the integrity of the hair.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
    Mozeke's protein treatment is really good too, IMO. It's called Carrot Protein Masque. It's not overly expensive and it's all natural and it has moisturizing properties. She has samples of it for a good price, I think 4oz for $6.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users
    Domina wrote: »
    i probally do need protein, i tried devacurl, giovani products, and joico k-pak a while back and they made my hair dry so i thought i was protein sensitive. i've been trying to avoid protein but i guess i should pick up that nexxus emergencee, aphogee smells horrible and it scares me to be honest, and curl junky takes to long to get here.

order CJ from aveyou.com The discount code is five. They have $1 shipping for the holidays. I got my CJ daily fix in 3 days.
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
    thanks for all the suggestions ladies. i went to walgreens and got that little tiny bottle of emergencee(it was 14.99) and i got the luxurious moisturizing shampoo i couldn't bring myself to spend money on the suggested nexxus conditioner so i just mixed taliah wajid herbal conditioner with tresseme' moisture rich conditioner. my hair can out very soft with no breakage. but i still wasn't happy with the way my hair looked so i dyed it black anyway, now my hair looks shiny and healthy. thanks again.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had bad breakage from dye once that's why I'll never use a permanent again. Rinses and semi-permanet are okay though.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file