Some newbie questions about CG

tiltultiltul Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello all,
I have some newbie questions about CG. Up until this point in my life I've always cut my hair short (by short I mean it was less than an inch long), shaved it off (I shaved my head for nearly 3 years) or had it up when it was long enough. This nonsense has got to stop! I'm now growing my hair out, and it has been about a year and a half since I last shaved it! Hurra. But it's also becoming unmanageable and I don't know what to do with it anymore. So I'm going to try the CG method. Here are my questions:

1. I shampoo/condition my hair EVERY morning. Otherwise, I can't do anything with it. At night it tangles up and frizzes and it also flattens. It's very dry so I there is NO way I can style it in the mornings without shampooing/conditioning/wetting it. The CG method confuses me - do you condition every day? Do you at least wet the hair every day in the shower under the CG method?

2. Do I use both a leave in conditioner and a gel after I am done in the shower? What gels are recommended here? What leave in conditioners?

Thanks!

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    tiltul wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I have some newbie questions about CG. Up until this point in my life I've always cut my hair short (by short I mean it was less than an inch long), shaved it off (I shaved my head for nearly 3 years) or had it up when it was long enough. This nonsense has got to stop! I'm now growing my hair out, and it has been about a year and a half since I last shaved it! Hurra. But it's also becoming unmanageable and I don't know what to do with it anymore. So I'm going to try the CG method. Here are my questions:

1. I shampoo/condition my hair EVERY morning. Otherwise, I can't do anything with it. At night it tangles up and frizzes and it also flattens. It's very dry so I there is NO way I can style it in the mornings without shampooing/conditioning/wetting it. The CG method confuses me - do you condition every day? Do you at least wet the hair every day in the shower under the CG method?

2. Do I use both a leave in conditioner and a gel after I am done in the shower? What gels are recommended here? What leave in conditioners?

Thanks!

If you do go CG, it's totally up to you how often you CO-wash. Some CO-wash every day, and others CO-wash once a week. For me personally, I've found that less is better. If I CO-wash every day or even every other day, my hair is on condish overload. I try to CO-wash every third day, because that's how far I can stretch it without my hair looking and feeling awful. So, you'll have to do some experimenting. Even if you don't CO-wash every day, you can wet your hair every day if you'd like, or do water-washes (scrubbing your scalp while standing under the shower head) on in between days.
    You probably shouldn't condition every day when you're CG, unless your hair is SUPER dry. You're already going to be giving your hair a bunch more condish than it's used to. But I could be wrong -- your hair might take well to an every day conditioning.

You can use any combo of products that works for your hair. I don't use a leave-in -- just homemade flaxseed gel and a regular drugstore gel. Popular gels here are the Herbal Essences Set Me Up and Totally Twisted and the LA Looks Gels. Lots of people use leave ins, though (most people scrunch in a little bit of their rinse out conditioner as a leave in). Some people even use mousse. I can't because my hair needs more hold to start clumping. You can use any products imaginable, just as long as they don't contain silicones ('cones for short), ingredients that end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. They can build up on hair and can only be removed with sulfates, so they don't mix well with a CO-washing routine.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck! :thumbleft:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file