"a or b

wavypoodlewavypoodle Posts: 7Registered Users
Total newbie here, just looking for some help with my hair type. I am hoping that my sig pic is large enough as it keeps saying my other pictures are to large. :) That picture is also without any product as I haven't yet got any, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hair Type: 2b
Co-wash: Tresseme Naturals
Attempting CG since 29/12/2010

Comments

• xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    wavypoodle wrote: »
    Total newbie here, just looking for some help with my hair type. I am hoping that my sig pic is large enough as it keeps saying my other pictures are to large. :) That picture is also without any product as I haven't yet got any, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Um...looks almost straight to me. I'd say you are a 1 or 2a. Hardly any curl there at all. Hope that's not a bad thing for you - are you looking for curl? If that's the case you'd need a perm.
  • wavypoodlewavypoodle Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hopefully a larger picture!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! You are a 2! There are plenty of us who's hair looks like yours without product and encouragement!

Check out the 2 forum-there are many before and afters and also a great hair biography where you will find others (like me) who are 2a or 2b!

My hair has gone from barely wavy to something I can some days call curly. It is a fun, crazy journey but there are others here to learn from and laugh with!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think this is 2A, very straight with some wave. It's thick and that is a very pretty kind of hair, I love thick straight and thick loosely wavy hair.

You might be able to get it to look wavier by scrunching with gel but I think whatever you are doing is working, it's pretty hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    You'd probably go by a 2b here because your hair looks like it's medium thickness (and your curl type is probably 2a). Your hair is beautiful -- I used to have hair like yours when mine started getting wavy, and after I started encouraging the curl and exploring different methods, I got 10x+ curlier. Some gel would do you wonders and bring your wave out. Good luck!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Is there any particular gel that you would recommend? That picture looking at it now is probably the least curly I get as it was the second day - second day hair????? will get a better one sometime soon. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What products/routines are you currently using?

My hair is also almost completely straight naturally but lately I've noticed that my hair is starting to wave a little more without any product in it.

Some good store brand gels to start with are BRHG, LALSG, HESMU. These are all hard hold gels. Softer hold gels include HETT, KMF UM or Alba.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/58468-acronyms-abbreviations-definitions.html

Here is a good beginner guide:
    The College Curly

Methods to encourage curl/waves and clumps:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/81176-super-soaker-method-promoting-clumps-updated-video-link.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/69033-oh-clumps-icequeen-method.html
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I haven't been using anything apart from hairspray (pre CG) as I always straightened it. For the last week or so I have been trying plopping and that has increased wave slightly but can sometimes make it frizzy. Will go and get some gel tomorrow then update. Thanks for all your help :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been having GREAT results with Alba Strong Gel which I can get at Whole Foods or online.

I also cannot plop. It actually pulls out my waves.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    Went to find some HETT today but couldn't find any in Boots, Superdrug or Sainsburys so eventually just got Boots curl crème. It has made a huge difference in definition and maybe a bit more curl, well a lot more from yesterdays picture as that was quite flat. 1st photo is yesterday the rest are today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Your hair looks great! For future reference, I wouldn't recommend the Totally Twisted Gel at all. It doesn't have a lot of hold, and most of us wavies need strong-holding gels to get our waves going. That gel is more for the curlier gals. I'd go for the Set Me Up one if anything. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What pretty waves you have. It looks like you have some spirals that turn every 3ish inches. Very cool. I agree with W-n-W, I would start with a gel with harder hold then HETT. Most wavies like a gel with more hold.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pretty hair:) boots curl cream never did anything for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file