Real Talk: Should I Ditch the Denman?

gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
When I am detangling my hair I will first take a section and use a wide tooth comb and move from tip to root. When I do this barely any hair comes out of my brush. However when I take my modified Denman and brush from tip to root the section that I just combed a nice amount of hair strands come out. My puff at the end is not outrageous. However I have to wonder if I am pulling out needless hair?
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Well..

I've noticed that combing doesn't always get out all of the shed hair. Which is why I may need to use a denman once a week, say if I'm doing a wash and go.

But if you feel the hair pulling from your scalp then you are pulling out needless hair.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • nmsnms Posts: 134Registered Users
    I'm not sure what your exact method is, so I'll just share my experience:

For a while, I used the denman and lost handfuls of hair, but I had always lost handfuls of hair during my detangling sessions, so I didn't pay it any attention. Well, after hacking off damaged ends, I decided to make some changes to my detangling routine. I remembered a youtube video on detangling post-poo -- actually one posted by EmpressRi. Now, I put my hair into four sections, shampoo and condition each section, and detangle (with conditioner still in my hair) section by section. I lost much, much less hair. Long story short, the denman wasn't my issue, it was my method of detangling. Once I stopped grabbing huge, random sections of hair and plowing through them regardless of what got in the way, I lost much less hair. Also, I find that it's better to hold the section flat, not in a bunch, when brushing, if that makes sense.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I have a love-hate relationship with my denman. It's modified but I really feel like I've been ripping out needless hair. I'm thinking of trying the tangle teezer or a bigger paddle brush. I like that I get smooth hair with it though for when I'm twisting my hair.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    denmans look scary to me. everytime i see ppl detangle w/ denman brushes i wince a little. i think my hair would jump off of my head and cower in the corner if i came at it w/ a denman.

but... maybe you should try a difeerent method when detangling w/ your denman, see what happens then.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    denmans look scary to me. everytime i see ppl detangle w/ denman brushes i wince a little. i think my hair would jump off of my head and cower in the corner if i came at it w/ a denman.

but... maybe you should try a difeerent method when detangling w/ your denman, see what happens then.

Me too! I don't get the hype about this brush. If it isn't doing anything for you, ditch it! The tip about dividing hair is sections might help you though. It works really well, especially with long/thick hair.
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I do work my hair in sections at all times during my routine except for the pre-poo stage. I guess I will just keep a closer eye on it for right now and take some measurements.
  • trpd123trpd123 Posts: 50Registered Users
    Well,

I have always detangled my hair in sections with lots of conditioner and I was still loosing a ton of hair with that brush. Not to mention my ends were always thinning out. So i have decided to put it down for a while. I detangle with a double tooth comb, and when I go to put my hair in twists, I go through it again with a regular comb similar to the Mason Pearson comb and leave-in conditioner. If there is still shed hair after all that, then its just going to have to stay!
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to detangle with a wide toothed comb and then a modified "Denman". I would loose hair about the size of a ping pong ball during my weekly detangling sessions. One day I tried finger-combing. I found that I was able to detangle and remove shed hair very well. I haven't looked back since. :)

I feel no need to get every single shed hair out--it's not like I did when using combs and brushes anyway. My styles come out the same and I'm manipulating my hair less. I'm happy. I may go back to using a wide toothed comb--albeit very infrequently--but I'll leave the Denmans to other folks.

• curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Posts: 475Registered Users
    I use my denman as the final detangling step and I don't lose a minimal amount of hair . I think if I used it first I would lose more.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    That's up to you. When I first went natural, I got a Denman and it felt as if I was ripping my hair out. What I do now is wash and detangle in sections using my fingers first. I'm not able to get out all the shed hair just by finger detangling so I use a wide tooth comb as the final detangling step. I leave the Denman alone. If it works for you, there's no reason to stop.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I have a love/hate relationship with this brush too. I detangle the same way gagirl09 described. I really like the smoothness I get and it seems to really get rid of most of the shed hairs. Although my hair ball appears to be the same size as it was before I started using the Denman my hair feels thinner. For example the section I start off with may be bushy after detangling with a wide tooth it gets flatter after using the Denman. So I wonder if it's the tension...because I when I used the D3 I had to do a lot of tugging and pulling no matter how small of a section I worked on. All of that tension scared me so I ordered a D31 from Amazon and this one works so much better. No pull at all. I hope to goodness the D3 didn't rip my hair out because I can afford to lose any hair since it's not thick. I had a lot of short strands throughout my head and I don't know if it's from bad detangling or if my hair is breaking and needs some attention.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just like with the boar brush, I only use the Denman to smooth - not detangle my hair. I lose too much hair brushing it through. I wonder if the Denman is better for short hair...
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    Just like with the boar brush, I only use the Denman to smooth - not detangle my hair. I lose too much hair brushing it through. I wonder if the Denman is better for short hair...

I would think so. The D31 feels way more easier on my hair than the standard one. And that's even after taking some of the rows out.
  • LeeLee182LeeLee182 Posts: 784Registered Users
    Yeah i definitely don't mess with the denman too often, especially for detangling.
    I much prefer wide tooth combs and paddle brushes.

The Aveda paddle brush is a really nice one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Blue Curls Don't Care!*

iHerb $5 off Code: HIV320
    KY is for inferior b*tches. -Keeny*

My YouTube Channel ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/CurleeDrugz

Blog:http://norehabneeded.wordpress.com/
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I bought the D3 and it felt like it was ripping my hair out. I lost so much hair it was stupid. I put that thing away and bought a Tangle Teezer. It hasn't answered my prayers exactly but it was much better than that Denman mess. I found more success in finger detangling and I use the tangle teezer when I feel it needs it.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • LeeLee182LeeLee182 Posts: 784Registered Users
    I haven't used it yet, but there is also that Ouidad double detangler comb. I plan on buying one soon, i've heard good things about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Blue Curls Don't Care!*

iHerb $5 off Code: HIV320
    KY is for inferior b*tches. -Keeny*

My YouTube Channel ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/CurleeDrugz

Blog:http://norehabneeded.wordpress.com/
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    I have never jumped on the Denman bandwagon, and after reading this thread (along with others I've read in the past), I don't plan to ever...jump on.

Combs, along with fingers, work fine for me.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second the Aveda Paddle Brush. That thing is the bidness! I can detangle my entire head and loose less than a dime size ball of hair....which is MUCH better than the golf ball size ball I used to loose.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I guess the issue is really if all the hair is shed hair or breakage. Honestly I am not about to look at each strand. However I will check out that Aveda Brush
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't plan on ever buying a Denman, but how are people actually modifying this brush? I understand it involves taking out rows, but are the rows being cut off with scissors or something? Because I keep envisioning short, sharp, scraggly rows that can rip hair out...which is worse than using the brush un-modified. One would like need a lighter to blunt all those modified bristles to actually make an improvement to the original product...which would be ridiculous.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lisa6 wrote: »
    I don't plan on ever buying a Denman, but how are people actually modifying this brush? I understand it involves taking out rows, but are the rows being cut off with scissors or something? Because I keep envisioning short, sharp, scraggly rows that can rip hair out...which is worse than using the brush un-modified. One would like need a lighter to blunt all those modified bristles to actually make an improvement to the original product...which would be ridiculous.
    YouTube - Natural Hair: I Luv My Denman (Brush)Again!: Remove Some of the Rows

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    empressri wrote: »
    Well..

I've noticed that combing doesn't always get out all of the shed hair. Which is why I may need to use a denman once a week, say if I'm doing a wash and go.

But if you feel the hair pulling from your scalp then you are pulling out needless hair.

This is my situation. Finger and wide tooth combing don't get my shed hairs. I need the denman once a week. I don't loose very much hair with mine and it isn't modified.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    D'oh! I should've known there was a YT vid, thanks Fronomenal. I dunno, despite taking out half the rows, the teeth on the remaining rows are pretty close together, just like on the original D3 and D4. With my fine hair, I'd go with the D31 or 41, if I had to purchase a Denman. I only have a boar brush to smooth edges for bunning.

IIRC, the hype around this brush stems from its clumping factor more than detangling???
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
    For my personal use it is not used for clumping. I detangle before I wash my hair. That's it no after use but yes ppl use it for the clumping aid.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    Well on my mom's 3c/4a short hair the denman is great. For my thin fine 4a hair the denman beats the heck out of my hair, maybe my hair isn't strong enough to take the beating. I can really only use it if I have tons of product in my hair (like when I detangle with Aussie 3 min miracle) and that's not the regular denman, I have a wide tooth or volume denman I got from Folica.com.

I'm thinking about trying the tangle teaser but I'm still researching the reviews.
    I tried the Tangle Teezer and I liked it alot. I'm burying my Denman
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • nmsnms Posts: 134Registered Users
    This thread had me side-eying my denman in the shower tonight, lol, but I still like it.
    I watched a vid on the tangle teezer. The grating noise this brush made against this woman's hair...ugh! no ma'am... And her hair was wet w/ a leave-in, sectioned, too. Maybe I need to watch a different vid.
    nms wrote: »
    This thread had me side-eying my denman in the shower tonight, lol, but I still like it.
    I watched a vid on the tangle teezer. The grating noise this brush made against this woman's hair...ugh! no ma'am... And her hair was wet w/ a leave-in, sectioned, too. Maybe I need to watch a different vid.
    The teezer really doesn't rip out the hair. I used it today and it makes that noise when it's not in your hair. Like if you took your hand and grazed the bristles. It has a lot of give and unlike the denman I find it doesn't rip out the hair. My hair is no longer long enough to do presentable twists ( :( ) but I could tell that it would do really well in smoothing the hair when twisting or braiding.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    I have a $5 coupon for Sally's I am about to use it on the Teezer
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    That's up to you. When I first went natural, I got a Denman and it felt as if I was ripping my hair out. What I do now is wash and detangle in sections using my fingers first. I'm not able to get out all the shed hair just by finger detangling so I use a wide tooth comb as the final detangling step. I leave the Denman alone. If it works for you, there's no reason to stop.
    +1. The Denman is too rough for my hair. I keep mine only as a reminder not to use it. I finger detangle wet, conditioner soaked hair in the shower and that works quite well. Only other detangling I may do is 4-5 days out on dry hair. I spritz ends lightly with water, apply a water based moisturizer like KBB Ambrosia, a little oil or OHHB, and a few drops of Loma Pearatin Fortifying Repairative serum. Then I brush in sections (from tip to root) with a Mason Pearson Junior nylon/boar bristle before making large bantu knots. This brush gives me a nice scalp massage too.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file