Anyone had their eyes lasered?

curlylauracurlylaura Curl NeophytePosts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm considering getting my eyes lasered. I have the options of the standard laser or CustomVue Wavefront procedures.

Has anyone had either procedure done? Can you tell me your experiences and was it worth it?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    I had the CustomVue procedure. It was twice the price of the normal LASIK when I had it in June 2007, but I was assured by the eye doctors and a cousin who's in the biz that it was the way to go. I had it on a Thursday and was back at work, which involved heavy reading, on Friday. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

I have "lost" some of the effect, mostly in my left eye -- really, my eyes just changed. It's not enough to warrant an update surgery -- I'm at -.50 in my left eye right now -- but that day will probably come, and I won't hesitate to get it done. I still see mostly 20/20 with both eyes open, and the doctor said that with a slightly weaker left eye, I will be able to put off getting reading glasses as I get older. The statistics at the time said that most people never need an update, and I expect that's true.
    Under construction.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Hubby had his done here maybe 5 years ago, plus.
    Texas Lasik International EyeCare Laser Center
    As far as I know, no problems.
    I do remember that in the beginning he used the dry eye stuff for what seemed like a while, but now, no probs whatsoever......g/l
    Hubby is glad he had it done & has no regrets!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Curl Novice Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I had it done 10 years ago. It was regular lasik because that's all they had back then. I still see 20/20 and don't needed reading glasses yet, which is pretty good for 44. I had to get some ultra-low-prescription regular glasses two years ago but that's because my astigmatism suddenly slightly worsened. As far as I know, that had nothing to do with my surgery. I hardly ever have to wear my glasses now that I'm not working.

I'd do the surgery all over again in a heartbeat. It was painless and I was seeing 20/20 the next day.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I haven't, though I would like to. My husband had LASIK done about 10 years ago. His vision is still perfect. He had 20/10 vision and his eyes show no sign that they ever had surgery performed on them at his last eye exam a few months ago. He is 42.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This was helpful. I can't wait to get LASIK this summer.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • curlylauracurlylaura Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone. I'm still in the thinking stage of it. The thought of getting my eyes messed with oogs me out a bit, but it the benefit would outweigh that at the moment. Just to get my night vision back would be good enough.

Did you take anything before hand to help with any anxiety?
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm still in the thinking stage of it. The thought of getting my eyes messed with oogs me out a bit, but it the benefit would outweigh that at the moment. Just to get my night vision back would be good enough.

Did you take anything before hand to help with any anxiety?

They forced me to take valium even though I didn't want it. I was preeeetttttttty mellow for about four or five hours.

You'll probably experience halos at night for a little while after the surgery. For most people, those go away. They haven't completely gone away for me, but they are better than they were post-surgery. I still have trouble seeing distant things clearly in dim light, but I've got a problem with the way my eyes dilate -- unknown before the surgery and probably wouldn't prevent having an update -- that may make my situation different.

As someone else mentioned, you also might have a dry-eye issue for a little while afterward, but this too gets better in most people.

Again, though, the benefits for me far outweigh the rest of the stuff. The doctor was pretty great, too; we spent the whole surgery, all of about 10 minutes, talking about rock bands.
    Under construction.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had PRK laser surgery on my eyes about 12 years ago. Best decision ever. I have 20/20 vision, and I never have to deal with hauling contact solution or worry about glasses. Do your research on your doctor and make sure you're a good candidate, and then don't look back!

(It didn't hurt at all, btw. My eyes were a little scratchy the first couple of days, but they gave me good pills and I slept off and on during that time.)
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file