Do any of you 3a's use a sealant?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,008Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
After cleansing and moisturizing, do any of you use a sealant? What do you use, how do you use it and what does it do?

I'm just not sure whether looser curl types like 3a use a sealant or is it mainly used by tighter curl types.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    I guess I'm too new at this because I don't really know what constitutes a sealant. :oops: I figure my gel is a sealant because it's sealing in moisture and keeping my hair from frizzing. Is there something that's actually deemed a "sealant"? And, if so, who should use it and in what order in their regimen?
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,292Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't think it goes by curl type; i think the dew points make it necessary --low dew points can pull the moisture out of our hair, so a sealant is good. and in the high dew points our hair can take in too much moisture, making it big, frizzy. but i think for most of us it's the low dew points that are a challenge. :-( however, 3a curls need something that is not heavy, so that certainly adds to it.

i am still looking for the right one for me. here are some various products i've tried with moderate success, nothing that is very good -- deva set it free (this used to work wonders for me, but i think the new formulation does not have the same .....) , deva set up and above, til i noticed it had yellow color added and was yellowing my hair, but if that is not a problem, i thought it was pretty decent; ss emulsifier, could not tolerate either the old or new scent; now using jane carter nourish and shine - ok, but what seems like hardly anything can turn too heavy later in the day.

anyone come up with something good for 3a curls?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,041Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :hello2: Hi curlypearl!!! I use Sweet Almond Oil. I emulsify about 8 drops with my LI and scrunch in, then my stylers. I've tried adding the Almond Oil at the end, but this just works best for me. It's like the foundation for the other products - it helps them be all they can be - lol! I use it all year long...high dews, low dews, and everything in between.

It makes my hair shiny, holds the moisture better and helps eliminate the frizzies. I tried going without it, but it just adds a certain yummyness that I like! And we could all use a little extra yummyness in our curls, right? :love7:

I'm a 2c/3a, thin density, fine texture, low porosity curly.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I use camellia oil which is kind of thick. I only use a drop or two and add it after my leave-in and before my styler(s). I love it! I like it better than coconut oil for my hair anyway...HTH.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel that the Marie Dean products act as a sealant. I use a lot of them--the leave ins, puddings, styling cream, deep conditioners, yogurt smoothies, etc. They are rich, so I feel that they seal. One of those (in the summer) topped with something else and a jelly product (in the winter) and I'm set to go. Much less frizz then on days when I don't use one of them.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,008Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Great ideas!
    Racer Wife, I'm not sure I'm describing a sealant very well - it's something to seal in the moisture - usually an oil or something rich.

RBB, I don't like the new Set-It Free either. If it ain't broke, why do they fix it?

Hi Kasden :wave: Glad to hear from you! I'm going to try Sweet Almond Oil just because it sounds so yummy.

Curlykey, I actually have coconut oil but maybe I'll splurge at some point and try the camellia oil also. It sounds like it would smell delicious.

Kathymack - thanks for the rec. on Marie Dean products. If I could steal your hair I would!

Thanks everyone - a sealant is my next experiment.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    kathymack wrote: »
    I feel that the Marie Dean products act as a sealant. I use a lot of them--the leave ins, puddings, styling cream, deep conditioners, yogurt smoothies, etc. They are rich, so I feel that they seal. One of those (in the summer) topped with something else and a jelly product (in the winter) and I'm set to go. Much less frizz then on days when I don't use one of them.

kathymack -- what are some of the jelly products you use?

rbb wrote: »
    kathymack wrote: »

kathymack -- what are some of the jelly products you use?

I use SS CEJ, UFD Curly Magic, DM Miracurl Gelly, KC TT Moisturizing Styler, KC Spiral Spritz, CJ Aloe Fix Lite, BS Puree and FSG (off the top of my head.)
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thanks, kathy! doesn't the aloe fix lite have glycerin?
    think i'll look into the dm miracurl gelly.

rbb wrote: »
    thanks, kathy! doesn't the aloe fix lite have glycerin?
    think i'll look into the dm miracurl gelly.

It does have glycerin. I don't think it matters as much, if you "seal" your hair. I've also been experimenting a little, not sure if it matters which layer is the "sealant" product--leave in or curl enhancer. Today, I used Terax Life Drops, MD Aloe LI and AO B-5 (I saw it sitting there and it doesn't have any polyquats, carbomer, etc., so I think it qualifies as a jelly product for me.) I was supposed to get a haircut/highlight,so didn't care how my hair turned out. My stylist is sick and appointment was canceled. It's not too bad considering I put very little effort into it.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    today i had good results with adding cj beauticurls leave in after my hair was dry, gave it more volume, curls.
    i am still afraid to go with glycerin when the dews are really low. today was not too bad. i think you are right, tho, that with a sealant maybe you can use glycerin. if i find the right combo, i'd like to go back to using cj smoothing lotion, which has glycerin, and in the right dews my hair loves it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file