Contact lenses

RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My daughter wants contacts. Speak to me of what's new and great in the lens world. I haven't worn lenses for decades, so speak to me as if I'm starting from scratch.

Should I look for daily disposables for her?

Extended wear?

She would like color-enhancing lenses to make her drab blue eyes a bit brighter.

Any recommendations? She's 13 and fairly adept at cosmetics and taking care of herself and her stuff.

Thanks!

Comments

• HappycurlsHappycurls Posts: 188Registered Users
    I like extended wear contacts, mainly because I am lazy and will not remove my contacts at night before I go to sleep. The ones I use (Bausch & Lomb Pure Vision) are designed to be worn for 30 days continuously so sleeping in them doesn't cause problems. Love that - I was doing it anyway so it's nice that it's now "allowed."
  • curly66curly66 Posts: 161Registered Users
    My son is 14 and he wears one contact. He uses 30 day contacts. He is pretty good about taking them off at night, even with extended wear I would still take them out every night.

He has been wearing contacts for 1 year and has been doing very well on them. He used to have glasses and he never wore them. He then started getting headaches and I took him for an eye exam the the doc recommended 30 day contacts for him.

We wear Biofinity by CooperVision and they are very comfortable.
    Curl Type: 3B/C thick shoulder length brunette
    Favorite Products: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Biotera Styling Gel found @ Sally's, Trader Joe's Nourish, Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    My daughter wants contacts. Speak to me of what's new and great in the lens world. I haven't worn lenses for decades, so speak to me as if I'm starting from scratch.

Should I look for daily disposables for her?

Extended wear?

She would like color-enhancing lenses to make her drab blue eyes a bit brighter.

Any recommendations? She's 13 and fairly adept at cosmetics and taking care of herself and her stuff.

Thanks!
    Acuvue MOIST are fantastic. They are daily lenses, very comfortable, very thin lenses. I have tried countless lenses but I love these, by far the most comfortable I've had.
    Her eye dr. should give her samples of a few different lenses to try, but be sure to at least try the Acuvue Moist.
    (side note: I personaly didnt find the colored lenses I tried very comfortable for all day wear)
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wear Acuvue Oasis (wondering if these are the same as Acuvue Moist). I was wearing just regular Acuvue, but was having major dry eye issues. My eye doctor switched me to Acuvue Oasis and I haven't had any problems since.

Another recommendation to take contacts out EVERYDAY. I used to sleep in mine (eye doc said it was ok) then I got a HORRIBLE eye infection. It was very painful and I was really upset that the doc had said that sleeping in them was an ok thing to do. I got a new eye doctor (my current one) and she said you should NEVER sleep in them other than a short nap.
  • caribcurlscaribcurls Posts: 163Registered Users
    I've been wearing contacts lenses since I was 11. I agree with Lucky Charm, have her try a few different ones at first. For example, I love Frequency contacts, but any type of Acuvue is a pain for me (they dry out and aren't very comfortable). So it really depends on her eyes.

I've always worn the 30 day. Cheaper in the long run, and if she's good about taking them off at night and giving them a quick rub before putting them on they should be fine.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to wear toric lenses due to astigmatism. I notice them enough that I still wear glasses most of the time. I hope she isn't plagues by that as of yet.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    texascurly wrote: »
    I wear Acuvue Oasis (wondering if these are the same as Acuvue Moist). I was wearing just regular Acuvue, but was having major dry eye issues. My eye doctor switched me to Acuvue Oasis and I haven't had any problems since.
    Oasis and Moist are different. I tried Oasis and they irritated my eyes. Contacts are very individualistic it seems, it's a game of trial and error.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have astigmatism and dry eye and I wear acuvue oasis 30 day. Pretty good for the dry eye although for the astigmatism ciba focus toric seemed better but those are old. And ditto on not sleeping in them.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wear the 30 day Acuvue Oasys, and take them out at night. I've been happy with them - I thought about daily disposables, but I felt it was just way too much waste.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I don't suffer from dry eyes normally, but contacts will dry out my eyes really quickly.

I can't do extended wear--sleeping in contacts for just one night make my eyes feel horrible for the rest of the day.

Acuvue Oasis give me dry eyes. I currently use Acuvue 2 (2 week disposables) and I'm mostly happy with them. My only issue is that I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye. It's not bad enough to warrant the extra cost of special contacts but every once in a while a lens just doesn't feel right and I have to throw it away.

Daily disposals sound like the best bet, especially if your daughter is unlikely to clean and store regular contacts properly. I've only used one brand-Focus Daily-and while my eyes didn't feel dry, removing them at the end of the day was really uncomfortable. They'd be practically fused to my eyes. I'm considering trying a different brand of dailies when I renew my prescription.
    Eres o te haces?
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been wearing the Acuvue 2 for several years and I'm happy with them. I get an eye exam and a prescription, then order them online - it's a lot cheaper! I've used several websites...I just find one that has free shipping when I order.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I wear the Air Optix 30 day wear. Love these ones! I have protein problems and as long as I take them out when sleeping I don't really have any issues. I am really bad about changing them each month and honestly don't really often change them until they start bothering me. These do fine.

I do have allergy drops I'm supposed to use when needed to help with the protein issues as it can cause irritation.

I used to have an astigmatism but have been wearing contacts since 8th grade. My eyes have slightly changed shape. The last time I got fitted I needed the base curve adjusted. My doctor noticed no issues but I could still feel it so he adjusted. No issues now!

Def. keep glasses around for evening wear and to wear when the eyes are irritated.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    texascurly wrote: »

Another recommendation to take contacts out EVERYDAY. I used to sleep in mine (eye doc said it was ok) then I got a HORRIBLE eye infection. It was very painful and I was really upset that the doc had said that sleeping in them was an ok thing to do. I got a new eye doctor (my current one) and she said you should NEVER sleep in them other than a short nap.

I have these too and love them. Mine are for 30 days and can be worn all the time but I take mine out at night when I do wear them. Since I started working from home I wear my glasses more but I do wear my contacts more in the summer (I have no idea why but maybe it's because glasses feel heavy/sweaty in the summer).

This brand has been the most comfortable contacts for me. The eye doctor will keep trying different brands (they give you the samples) until your daughter finds a pair that are comfortable for her.

I used to wear the colored contacts but have not for years-I am not sure what brands carry that kind anymore.

I am sure she will be fine at cleaning/taking care of them-it is not as labor intensive as it was when I first started wearing them.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I recommend the daily disposables. I wore 30 day lenses for years. By the end of the day after a couple weeks of wear my eyes would start becoming dried out and irritated, and that was even with the Acuvue Oasis. Then I started getting unexplained redness every few weeks.

I was recently switched to Acuvue TruEyes, which are only daily wear. Holy cow, what a difference. I forget I have contacts in and I love being able to just toss them at night. You no longer need contact solution, and it is more sanitary.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    I recommend the daily disposables. I wore 30 day lenses for years. By the end of the day after a couple weeks of wear my eyes would start becoming dried out and irritated, and that was even with the Acuvue Oasis. Then I started getting unexplained redness every few weeks.

I was recently switched to Acuvue TruEyes, which are only daily wear. Holy cow, what a difference. I forget I have contacts in and I love being able to just toss them at night. You no longer need contact solution, and it is more sanitary.

I think I'm changing to daily. My doctor wanted me to try 30 day lenses and switch em out every 2 weeks if needed before trying the daily ones. Lately I think my eyes have been getting drier. Throwing out lenses sound so much more convenient as well.

I looked up trueyes, they are relatively new and seem to be very good but they don't come in toric so I may try the moist.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    I use Acuvue Moist daily disposables. Love.them.

I tried and couldn't do extended wear. Dried my eyes out. With the Acuvues, I forget that I have them in. I toss 'em at the end of the day. No muss, no fuss.

I'm near-sighted with mild astigmatism. And I've got aging eyes, so I wear a different prescription in my right eye so that I can read without needing reading glasses. (Without my contacts, I don't need reading glasses, but when corrected for distance, I need help. This is a perfect solution.)
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    nm
  • blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Posts: 492Registered Users
    curly66 wrote: »
    My son is 14 and he wears one contact. He uses 30 day contacts. He is pretty good about taking them off at night, even with extended wear I would still take them out every night.

He has been wearing contacts for 1 year and has been doing very well on them. He used to have glasses and he never wore them. He then started getting headaches and I took him for an eye exam the the doc recommended 30 day contacts for him.

We wear Biofinity by CooperVision and they are very comfortable.

I use Biofinity as well. I started wearing contacts almost 2 years ago and I really like wearing them. I used to wear glasses, starting in elementary school. Once you get your prescription, you can go to any contact lens retailer and buy them. I ordered online from Walgreens and they have good prices. The only downside is that contact lenses prescriptions only last for a year. The only other problem that I have is my eyes get itchy sometimes but that has more to do with my allergies than the contact lenses themselves.
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    I wear the Air Optix 30 day wear. Love these ones! I have protein problems and as long as I take them out when sleeping I don't really have any issues. I am really bad about changing them each month and honestly don't really often change them until they start bothering me. These do fine.

I do have allergy drops I'm supposed to use when needed to help with the protein issues as it can cause irritation.

I used to have an astigmatism but have been wearing contacts since 8th grade. My eyes have slightly changed shape. The last time I got fitted I needed the base curve adjusted. My doctor noticed no issues but I could still feel it so he adjusted. No issues now!

Def. keep glasses around for evening wear and to wear when the eyes are irritated.

I second these contacts! I've worn contacts for the past 13 or so years and these are by far the best that I've used and I've been using them for the last 2 years (also the most expensive!). My doc also changed the cleaning solution that I use for my contacts too. She suggested I use a hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution and the difference in how clean my lenses are is like night and day. My lenses feel brand new when I put them in after having soaked overnight!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • HropkeyHropkey Posts: 572Registered Users
    I also wear Acuvue Moist. I wear the 14-day wear lenses, but I usually stretch them for a week or 2 more and it's fine. However, you absolutely have to take them out at night. I usually take them off as soon as I get home from school.

Don't forget contacts solution- I use Clear Care, which is a hydrogen peroxide solution that neutralizes overnight. It is AMAZING. Everything else has too many preservatives and irritates my eyes.
    Mod CG as of 10/18/08
    Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
    "We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik
  • HappycurlsHappycurls Posts: 188Registered Users
    Hmm so I really am the only one that sleeps in contacts? I know most people take them out but I figured there'd be others like me that don't.
    Happycurls wrote: »
    Hmm so I really am the only one that sleeps in contacts? I know most people take them out but I figured there'd be others like me that don't.

I don't know anyone who does anymore. Especially now that there are daily disposables. It's not good to sleep in them.
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    when you take your daughter in for her exam discuss the options out their for her. They have so many kinds and since she wants to enhance her eye color they have different brands that both correct the vision and change eye color. They can give her trial pairs to try out to see what ones feel best in her eyes too!

I have the Air Optix night & day brand and I LOVE them. I like that I can sleep in mine and I have never had a problem with them. I got my first pair many years ago when they were just called Night & Day and they were new to the market, a few years ago they changed the name to Air Optix Night and Day. I always change my lenses when the time is up for them to be changed. the only time I have had a problem with dry eyes is when I was in the car and the vent was blowing right in my face so I had to use re wetting drops because of that. Other than that my eyes have never been dry at all. What I like best is that I can get up in the middle of the night and see things and not walk into doors, walls, furniture LOL my vision is 20/200 without corrected lenses so these have been a dream come true for me. If only my insurance covered the Lasik surgery, until then these are my choice for contacts!
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Okay, fine, I admit it.. I sleep in mine. I have the Night & Day 30 day contacts. I usually wear them for 3 weeks, take a few days off, wear them for a few more weeks & then throw them away.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
    I like Ciba, and I started using Freshlook two-week lenses after I learned they are discontinuing the daily wear (6 mons. to a year replacement). I'm not keen on Freshlook because they're not of the same quality as the daily wear, but I didn't like the alternative he tried on me, Acuvue. I've also tried CooperVision, but they are pricier and I'm afraid of changing brands. I may have to if my dryness and bluriness continues. I like that the Freshlook basic ones are tinted in green instead of blue like most other brands. If you have blue colored carpet, you understand. I also have the option of getting colored lenses in Freshlook, which for reason are more comfortable on me than the basic Vision Tint Freshlooks, though my doctor said that most companies, including Ciba, are phasing out colors as they allow less oxygen into the eye.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I used to when I was in college, but I stopped when I realized how bad it was for your eyes. A friend got a terrible eye infection from doing it and the thought of having to deal with glasses for a month while an infection healed broke me of that habit fast.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I did until I ended up with too many corneal abrasions. Never again.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    rileyb wrote: »

I used to when I was in college, but I stopped when I realized how bad it was for your eyes. A friend got a terrible eye infection from doing it and the thought of having to deal with glasses for a month while an infection healed broke me of that habit fast.
    I got a corneal ulcer from sleeping in my (extended wear) contacts. I had to wear glasses only for a lot longer than a month and my doctor threatened me with the possibility of needing a corneal transplant if it didn't heal properly. I've never had an ophthalmologist tell me that sleeping in them is okay--only optometrists.

If you do sleep in them out of necessity, you should take them out as soon as you can and wear glasses for a day. Bacteria gets in your eyes and all sleeping in contacts does is hold that bacteria in there. If you're that blind that you feel you need to sleep in your contacts, you might want to consider lasik. That's less dangerous.

ETA: I'm not slamming optometrists. I'm saying that they're not the ones seeing the infections and ulcers.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I do sleep in mine most of the time. But after reading this thread, I'm rethinking that. Maybe I'll make that a New Year's Resolution. I've never had problems like infections or corneal abrasions, but I don't want to risk it.
    ehLB.jpg
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Hropkey wrote: »
    Don't forget contacts solution- I use Clear Care, which is a hydrogen peroxide solution that neutralizes overnight. It is AMAZING. Everything else has too many preservatives and irritates my eyes.

Clear Care is the greatest thing ever!

You have to leave the contacts in the solution for a certain number of hours before putting them back in, because the solution reacts with the case to turn into water, and before it finished the reaction it'll burn the crud out of your eyes.

I use Bausch and Lomb Soflens torics. They're the first contacts I've ever been able to wear. I get calcium deposits after about a month, so needed 30 day disposables - and they're the first ones which actually could handle my astigmatism. Gas permeables were WAY too hard to try to fit to me. The month before my old eye doctor retired he told me he was the hardest contact fit he'd seen in his career.

I have a LOT of allergies, and I have found I do much better with my contacts in. They provide a barrier to the allergens, I guess? On days I wear my glasses, my eyes water like crazy all day.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file