do you avoid glycerin? if so why?

fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
just curious...

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, mostly because glycerin is a good solvent and will fade red hair dye a lot more quickly than it already fades.

Also, even if I didn't color my hair, I would not use it in very high or low dew points.

In high dew points, glycerin can suck moisture from the air into the hair, causing frizz.

In the winter, it will put the moisture from the hair into the air, causing dryness.

For some reason, curlies tend to notice this more with glycerin than some other humectants.

CurlChemist: The Goods on Glycerin | NaturallyCurly.com

Humidity, Humectants and Hair | NaturallyCurly.com
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rcc, you color your hair?? i thought that was your natural color.

i twist my hair with a moisturizer that has glycerin in it and my hair feels horribly dry and brittle. i started to look at pictures of my hair prior to using this product and my twists never looked so thin and scraggly.

i'll experiment and do my next set of twists with a non-glycerin product.

thanks!
    Thanks, yes, I do color it. It's naturally a color that my stylist call level 7 blonde, and I call dishwater/dirty blonde. It's that in between color that's not really blonde and not really brown.

If your hair is getting really dry, it could be the glycerin, especially if the air is dry right now where you live.

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Thanks, yes, I do color it. It's naturally a color that my stylist call level 7 blonde, and I call dishwater/dirty blonde. It's that in between color that's not really blonde and not really brown.

If your hair is getting really dry, it could be the glycerin, especially if the air is dry right now where you live.
    Madeleine L'Engle called that "hair colored hair." The red definitely suits you, good choice!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For some reason, curlies tend to notice this more with glycerin than some other humectants.

For sure! nothing else causes me problems like too much glycerin. My goodness.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i guess i'll start avoiding it now. thank you!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it is drying. My type 2 hair stays cleaner longer when I use it because of the drying effect; otherwise I'd be greasy faster.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have just realized (in the past 2 months) that my hair really dislikes glycerin so I have been trying to use products with none in them or wayyyy down the ingredient list.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Poodlehead wrote: »

Madeleine L'Engle called that "hair colored hair." The red definitely suits you, good choice!

Interestingly, I know that phrase from Piers Anthony's Xanth series. He probably got it from L'Engle. I laughed when the character had "hair colored hair" because I pictured my own hair color.

• sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I have just realized (in the past 2 months) that my hair really dislikes glycerin so I have been trying to use products with none in them or wayyyy down the ingredient list.

Interesting. I'm going see if cutting it out makes a difference. This is the first I've heard negative stuff about glycerin.

Frau, glad you posted about this.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I don't avoid it altogether but my hair doesn't like too much of it.
    In the winter too much glycerin makes my hair feel dry. In the summer it makes it feel producty and gunky.
    But most of the products I used have a bit of glycerin which doesn't seem to bother my hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In the winter too much glycerin makes my hair feel dry. In the summer it makes it feel producty and gunky.

This is also what it does for me. In winter I avoid it in my stylers. Rinse-out conditioners are okay. In summer I just clarify more often.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use products with it but have to be careful the ingredient does not dominate, or it will dry me out. I used CJ Aloe Fix couple of weeks ago, loved how it looked and felt on wash day. Day 2 was like straw city.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Here's an article about glycerin we did a while back. Might be useful!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

So I don't have anything to add on topic - I don't know anything about glycerin - I don't use many products (cause I'm lazy like that) BUT...

/wave
    I'm a level 7 blonde too! So says my hairdresser. I usually do blonder highlights, but you look fab as a redhead!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I only avoid it in my lube
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, I avoid it in anything that's going to be left in the hair. If it's in conditioner that's going to be washed out, then I don't have any problems.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • mishka267mishka267 Posts: 162Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    glycerin makes my head itch like crazy. Whenever I use it I get all kinds of buildup and flakiness on my scalp and I can't stop scratching my head. I avoid it at all costs.
    3A, with some 2A underneath
    Currently using: Deva Low Poo, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jessicurl Confident Coils, Biolage Gelee.

http://public.fotki.com/mishka267/my-messy-mop/

PC05.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file