Anyone else snowbound?

LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
I am snowbound today due to the blizzard. I had no way of getting to work since the subway by my house isn't running. Supposedly, my office is open but I doubt most people were able to make it there. My cable is out, so I don't have any TV. Luckily, my Internet and cable aren't connected or else I wouldn't have had any entertainment :D

Anyone else homebound today?
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am, pretty much. I loaded up on groceries, fortunately, but I don't see a soul outside. It stopped snowing but it's deep out there! Stay warm, Lady V.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    yep, I am. I'm supposed to be in Boston today, but thats not happening!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I am. We got 25 inches. The streets aren't plowed and I'm waiting for someone to come and clean my driveway.
    Eres o te haces?
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Yup. Jersey Shore, we got the brunt of it. Almost 3 feet by me - cant open my doors....
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • ninja dogninja dog Curl Neophyte Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Recently I was wondering if New York City got the same bad weather we do. Guess my question's answered.

Stay warm, everyone. Remember: "layering is the secret to winter warmth" (so says my ex-husband, a former resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan).
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm jealous. I have today off, and I wouldn't mind shoveling some nice, deep snow.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I'm jealous. I have today off, and I wouldn't mind shoveling some nice, deep snow.

I have 3 feet by me. We cant open the front or back doors. And even if we could, our county is in a state of emergency; they have even suspended the plows for the time being....
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rudeechick wrote: »

I have 3 feet by me. We cant open the front or back doors. And even if we could, our county is in a state of emergency; they have even suspended the plows for the time being....

I'm still jealous, lol. I like that kind of snow.

Come on over! I still have plenty from two weeks ago.:laughing9:
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Can I send this snow to RCC? She's welcome to it :D
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Totally snowed in! We have at last measure 11 inches in the driveway but it's really windy so it's hard to get an accurate read and it's still coming down pretty good!

I'm holed up with my two cousins (and best friends) hanging out in PJ's with snacks and watching a Cake Boss marathon. It's not so bad at all.

I'm a little anxious cuz my kitty is home alone but I left him lots of food, fresh water, and a warm cozy bed. He should be fine.

Not looking forward to snowblowing when I get home (my cousin has a plow guy come) or general dig out, but it's pretty awesome to not even have to think about getting anything done.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users

Dang RCC where were you three hours ago? I just got done snowblowing and shoveling the steps and backyard for the dog. I'm already done with snow. Eff it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

curlysue21 wrote: »

Dang RCC where were you three hours ago? I just got done snowblowing and shoveling the steps and backyard for the dog. I'm already done with snow. Eff it!

Too bad I wasn't there to help, lol. There is something quite satisfying about snow shoveling. I got to do it with about two feet last winter, but we've had a light snowfall so far this year.

You just keep rubbing it in, don't you?
    ninja dog wrote: »
    You just keep rubbing it in, don't you?

Lol, it would only be rubbing it in if I was pleased about it.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The weatherpeople made a BFD about this storm, calling for a state-of-emergency, warning people to stay inside, don't venture out, blah blah blah, but we only ended up with about 3 inches. Embarrassing really.
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    My office closed today but even if it hadn't, I wouldn't have made it in. I shoveled out but there was at least 2 or 2.5 feet of snow out there. I'm staying inside, warm and comfy on my couch with my kitty until tomorrow morning when I am forced to go to work.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • anonymous_60337anonymous_60337 Posts: 22Registered Users
    yep...got about 20 inches of snow outside. was supposed to be in boston today..couldn't even cross the street ! haha
    3b, shoulder-length, cut all one length
    Co-wash: VO5 or Suave Naturals
    Conditioners: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks 9 Hold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VTmomVTmom Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    yep...totally snowed in. Our road is impassable both ways....the drifts are about 5 ft. high across the entire road. I hope no one has an emergency...they'd never get through.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    The weatherpeople made a BFD about this storm, calling for a state-of-emergency, warning people to stay inside, don't venture out, blah blah blah, but we only ended up with about 3 inches. Embarrassing really.

I love it when that happens.
    VTmom wrote: »
    yep...totally snowed in. Our road is impassable both ways....the drifts are about 5 ft. high across the entire road. I hope no one has an emergency...they'd never get through.

Wow! Five feet high across the entire road? Any pics? We never stop plowing here, so I haven't seen anything like that.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Yup. Jersey Shore, we got the brunt of it. Almost 3 feet by me - cant open my doors....

Me too. I'm in Monmouth County and we got close to 3 feet. We couldn't open our doors either. I think this is the worst I've ever seen it.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Of course I had to stay for overtime cause no one was able to make it to work. Left 7am this morning and had to leave my car behind because it was completely buried and the streets weren't plowed.

Took three trains to get home....and not one bus, cab or gypsy van was running. So I had to walk ten miles in the snow all of the way home.

Needless to say I called my job and told them that there is no feasible way for me to get to work. Unless they're going to pick me up which they said no.

Only mode of transportation is mule or foot. The few buses I did see on my hike home were stranded, along with cars all way way up and down the streets. Folks just abandoned them because they couldnt move at all.

My legs and hips still ache.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ten miles in the snow :walk::eek:

How on earth did you do that? I would have dropped dead after 1/2 mile. Your job should give you combat pay.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Really!

That's like an old-fashioned horror story.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »

How on earth did you do that? I would have dropped dead after 1/2 mile. Your job should give you combat pay.

lol!!!!!!! I told them too when I called, unless they're sending a van to come pick me up there is no way I can get back to work. But they plowed the city, right curlypearl?
    Really!

It was sort of unbelievable at the time. Everyone is like YOU WALKED HERE?!?! Cause it's a looooooong walk, add extra for trekking through the snow. I fell down at one point and was crotch deep in snow. That was an interesting sensation.

This is why there were no buses running from Jamaica center.

IMG00097-20101227-0953.jpg

They were all stuck near and a block away from the bus depot. My brother works for transit and told me there were no buses running, EVEN THOUGH on the news they tried to say all of the Queens buses were running. LIARS. Lady at the train station said she'd been waiting there an hour and a half and nothing.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    I'm so glad I missed it! I'm in VA right now, going home today. I'm leaving my car here because my mom told me that the roads are still crappy in NY. Though I'll be back in VA for the weekend and to get my car, I hope the roads are better on Sunday. I really don't want a horror story driving back to NYC.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    empressri wrote: »

lol!!!!!!! I told them too when I called, unless they're sending a van to come pick me up there is no way I can get back to work. But they plowed the city, right curlypearl?
    Really!

It was sort of unbelievable at the time. Everyone is like YOU WALKED HERE?!?! Cause it's a looooooong walk, add extra for trekking through the snow. I fell down at one point and was crotch deep in snow. That was an interesting sensation.

They were all stuck near and a block away from the bus depot. My brother works for transit and told me there were no buses running, EVEN THOUGH on the news they tried to say all of the Queens buses were running. LIARS. Lady at the train station said she'd been waiting there an hour and a half and nothing.
    Empressri, you win the pioneer woman prize for walking 10 miles in the snow!

I don't think NYC did a good job of getting cars and buses off the street; and now I hear they're complaining because streets aren't plowed fast enough? With abandoned buses and cars, how are they suppposed to plow!

Greater Boston got around 20 inches, 9 inches short of the Great Blizzard of '78, and I think the Jersey shore now has that record. I didn't shovel my car out until late afternoon, after the snow stopped. Took a trip to Whole Foods and the roads were fine. Roads are fine today, but I'm still hunkering down.

Taking a break this week from the job search; nothing happens in sales between Xmas and New Years.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    If the Jersey Shore was affected, how will the cast of the eponymous show get out to restock their hair and tanning products?
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »

Really!

Empressri, you win the pioneer woman prize for walking 10 miles in the snow!

I don't think NYC did a good job of getting cars and buses off the street; and now I hear they're complaining because streets aren't plowed fast enough? With abandoned buses and cars, how are they suppposed to plow!

Greater Boston got around 20 inches, 9 inches short of the Great Blizzard of '78, and I think the Jersey shore now has that record. I didn't shovel my car out until late afternoon, after the snow stopped. Took a trip to Whole Foods and the roads were fine. Roads are fine today, but I'm still hunkering down.

Taking a break this week from the job search; nothing happens in sales between Xmas and New Years.

The thing is, when the snow started falling, people didn't use common sense and drove as usual. NYC should have declared the situation an emergency and told people not to drive, but they didn't. So now plows and emergency vehicles can't get through because of people's cars blocking the roads. It was handled badly on everyone's side. I also believe that officials were lackadaisical about it because a lot of people are off this week anyway. I'd bet that if this were a regular week, the emergency would have been declared.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file