Help! SO confused about my hair type! :(

Malpal423Malpal423 Posts: 4Registered Users
Hey all! I would've bet money I was a 3, but after posting a photo in that forum...I've been told I'm a 2. The underside of my hair tends to be curlier...forming ringlets and such. I've been straightening it since high school, so going curly is a rare occasion for me. I'm seriously considering the CG method, but don't know where to start. Can y'all look at some of these photos, and help me figure out my type? My hair is fine, but thick...lots of it. :)

Thanks SO much!!

-Mallory

Some of these are old, but the last two were taken this week...

5289_511632168875_100400127_30418619_4643566_n.jpg

l_0dd01587db6220ec182cd708d5963598-1.jpg

hair3-1.jpg

photo6-2.jpg

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    You are so pretty and gorgeous, and you're hair is, too! Seriously, you're really cute. :)

Well, for starters, have you checked out the techniques sticky? It has some amazing methods that lot of people here use to bring out the best in their curls. Here's a link.

TECHNIQUES LINKS: SuperSoaker,Spritz&Condish,Plopping,Frizz,Clipping IceQueen, etc

Also, here's a whole explanation of the CG method -- a guide to everything you need to go CG. The method is based on the fact that curly/wavy hair is drier than straight hair and needs to be treated with more moisture than normal shampoos can give. I have been shampoo-less for a few weeks and I'm liking it! Here's a link that explains all about the method:

The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

And here's a before/after thread to get you inspired!

Post your before & After CG pics

If you do go shampoo-less, you need to avoid products with silicones ('cones for short). They end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. They have the potential to build up on your hair and can't be removed my conditioner washing alone.

As for figuring out you're hair type, you're definitely a 2. You belong with us at the wavies forum! I'd say you're a 2a or 2b, depending on how thick your actual hairs are. If you have fine hair that is almost translucent when held up to the light, you're a 2a, but if you have more of a medium thickness, you're a 2b. You could also be a combo -- 2a AND 2b!

Good luck on your natural hair journey. Go, wavies!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Malpal423Malpal423 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Aww, thanks!! It's so crazy to think of myself as being a 'wavy'. I used to HATE my curly (or so I thought) hair, and flat iron it every single day. Wavy seems SO much more up my alley. I will definitely look into these forums. I'm actually excited to embrace the natural look. I can't imagine the time time I'll save getting ready! :)
    Do you know how much hair types change? Does it vary case to case? Or is there a general rule about short vs. long hair and even child vs. adult hair? For example, when I was a kid...I would've definitely considered my hair "curly". Here's a a picture to show you what I mean... :)

7421_512783032535_100400127_30455450_3741114_n-1.jpg

(3 yr. old me..lol.)

If I decide to forever go natural and wear it curly, I'll definitely be growing it out. Is there a possibility the curls/waves will change drastically as it grows or even during the CG method? I assume it'll change a little...but am curious as to how much I can expect?

Thanks again everyone!! :)
  • Erin14040Erin14040 Posts: 53Registered Users
    I have been CG for close to a month now. My hair has changed A LOT. I've read that it can take up to 8 weeks to see the full change, so I have no CLUE where I'll end up. Especially since I'm growing it out at the same time.

You will see lots of changes for SURE. GOOD ones!
    Enjoy! These girls are SOOO helpful when you have questions.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, hair certainly changes throughout life and can go from curly to straight, straight to curly (very common during teenage years) curly to wavy or straight to wavy, all are normal.

Two of my daughters are teens. The one who was curly as a youngster has very loosely wavy hair now, thick, almost straight, gorgeous. The one who had hair so straight it wouldn't even stay in braids is now curly, 3a, bouncy springy curls about the size of a fat marker.

I think your hair looks most like 2b though it's kinda hard to tell from the pictures.

And yes, also very true that you could just have damage from straightening, and no longer recovers all its curl when you don't straighten it. Though if that is the case you got really lucky to get waves like that instead of fried looking hair! If it's given up due to straightening, it will grow in curlier if you do not straighten it.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    You are so pretty and gorgeous, and you're hair is, too! Seriously, you're really cute. :)

Well, for starters, have you checked out the techniques sticky? It has some amazing methods that lot of people here use to bring out the best in their curls. Here's a link.

TECHNIQUES LINKS: SuperSoaker,Spritz&Condish,Plopping,Frizz,Clipping IceQueen, etc

Also, here's a whole explanation of the CG method -- a guide to everything you need to go CG. The method is based on the fact that curly/wavy hair is drier than straight hair and needs to be treated with more moisture than normal shampoos can give. I have been shampoo-less for a few weeks and I'm liking it! Here's a link that explains all about the method:

The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

And here's a before/after thread to get you inspired!

Post your before & After CG pics

If you do go shampoo-less, you need to avoid products with silicones ('cones for short). They end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. They have the potential to build up on your hair and can't be removed my conditioner washing alone.

As for figuring out you're hair type, you're definitely a 2. You belong with us at the wavies forum! I'd say you're a 2a or 2b, depending on how thick your actual hairs are. If you have fine hair that is almost translucent when held up to the light, you're a 2a, but if you have more of a medium thickness, you're a 2b. You could also be a combo -- 2a AND 2b!

Good luck on your natural hair journey. Go, wavies!

Wow wavy! You're up on the draw! Hee hee. Are you our new assistant wavy librarian? :P

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I think that you currently have wavy hair, somewhere in the 2s, but it depends on which typing system you use as to which letter you are. But as fun as curl typing is, it is less about the curl type, and more about your hair properties. People from the 2s often visit the 3a forums too (and vice versa)....or the general curly boards. Anyway, as you progress, you might find your 3 year old curls coming back once you treat the damage from all the flat ironing. Or you might not, like Robin said. And sometimes it is more about technique, and less about product.

Good luck!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »
    Wow wavy! You're up on the draw! Hee hee. Are you our new assistant wavy librarian? :P

Just as long as I get paid! Ha ha -- I copied it from a different thread I posted at. Copying and pasting is now my best friend! :laughing4:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file