S/O - What is your favorite holiday and why?

AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
Mine is a tie - MLK Day and St. Patrick's Day. January or Feb are my favorite months of the year because I'm a cold weather person, and I'm so glad to have Christmas out of the way. I used to love Christmas, but I'm not a very religious person any more and don't feel good about celebrating it (I do for family's sake).

I love our MLK Day family traditions. It isn't a big deal - just a meal over at grandma's, the whole family talking and watching TV. St. Paddy's Day, I don't really know why I like it. I don't drink and I have 1 Irish great grandparent, but I am so glad by March that Valentine's Day is over. Even when I'm in a relationship, I just can't stand V-Day. St. Paddy's is the only time I can get Shamrock Shakes plus I love looking at everyone's green outfits.

I'm going to scream if MLK Day is not a work holiday since my boss we'd get all major holidays off. We did not get Columbus Day or Veteran's Day off, which I thought we would have since the court house was closed, so we shall see...

What is your favorite holiday?

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    2/14....
    Yah, I know it's cheeezy & all, tho it is when hubby & I officially celebrated our first date....
    this year....22!

:o
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Halloween. Dressing up+Candy+party=happiness
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love Christmas. The family. The food. It's by far my favorite.
    I do love celebrating New Years Eve though. It's been awhile since I've attended an actual party, so I'm really looking forward to this year.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love Christmas. I llloovvveee all the goodies clients bake us, and I love the big Christmas meal. I love the Christmas parties.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I don't have one, does that make me evil? Eh. I don't care for holidays.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Fourth of July, for the following reasons:
    • Good barbeque that my Dad makes.
    • Fireworks.
    • It's in the summer.
    • Low stress as far as family gatherings go.
    ehLB.jpg
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    New Year's Day as you get a fresh start.

I'm neutral on most other holidays. They're a paid day off and are relatively not stressful for me (any summer holiday, MLK day, etc) .

I have come to dislike most winter holidays-Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day. They cause the most grief and stress for a lot of people, myself included.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I like Halloween, Thanksgiving and New Years', Passover and the Jewish High Holy Days. Mostly my love is about the food.

Really I like all holidays except for Valentine's day and Mother's Day.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    My husband and our best couple friends and I made up our own holiday. Officially it's known as International Loaf Off Day (commonly referred to as ILOD). We schedule it each year around New Years Day-- the rule is that it has to be a day off of work (obviously) and we have to have another day off of work after ILOD. The premise is that we do nothing. No laundry. No work. Nothing around the house. Only enough cooking and dishes to keep ourselves feed and the kitchen from becoming uninhabitable. Mostly, we watch movies, eat, read, play video games, crap like that. Generally goof off and accomplish nothing.

THAT is my favorite holiday. ILOD is the greatest day of the year.

Second, or first actual holiday, would be Fourth of July-- we have a big party-- followed by Thanksgiving (no nothing, eat, family, WIN), and followed closely by Halloween (come as you aren't night).

Christmas is okay and all-- presents and family and all-- but the whole Christianity thing kind of ruins it for me.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like Thanksgiving best because it's everyone's holiday (everyone can find something to be thankful for) and no religion or ethnic group is excluded. I also love the food.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Thanksgiving and Fourth of July are tied for me. Both holidays are big family reunion days for us, which is the main reason I love them so.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Trenell wrote: »
    Halloween. Dressing up+Candy+party=happiness

Ditto. Halloween is my favorite by far. I also like Memorial day just because it's on my birthday and 4th of July since I love fireworks and hot weather. New years eve is nice too even though the anticipation is the excitement.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Guy Fawkes' Day. So morbid.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Fourth of July because the weather is beautiful and it is laid back (e.g. not a family holiday).
    I loved Christmas as a kid and now that I have kids, I really enjoy celebrating it again.

I'm with Geeky though- I like almost all of the holidays except for Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    My favorite holiday is Passover. It's so steeped in tradition, and there's always family and good food and fun. I think I'm probably in the minority on this one, though.
    Under construction.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    nm
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    1. New Years -- Champagne and kissing, what could be better?
    2. Halloween. Love little kids in cute little costumes!! (and little effort on my part to partake)
    3. Thanksgiving -- fun, non-religious family food holiday

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file