Is losing a gut even possible?

waviewavie Registered Users Posts: 237
I'm 18 and I work out here and there. Over break, it's been 30-40 minutes of cardio every day. (jump rope and running).

My main goal has to be losing the gut though. I've had it even as a kid and it won't go away. I just wanna lose 1/2 an inch.

I'm watching what I eat too. I don't eat any meat, and I'm cutting back on juice, snacks, sweets, etc. But not exactly "dieting".

I have a feeling it's just genetic and will never go away. :(

Should I just get used to it? Any tips/opinions?
TIA!
Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    Callanetics. I swear it works. It's from the 80's so the look is dated, but really that shouldn't be important. I use the AM/PM DVD, it has almost all of the exercises of the 10 Years Younger, without all of the extra fluff that takes up time. The DVDs are straight converts from the 80's VHS tapes so there is no chaptering and it is not user friendly. BUT for the results I personally don't care. I've used it off and on for a lot of years. I don't know why I ever quit, it is the best thing for your mid section. If these are too slow for you try Squeeze or Physique 57, built on the same principles as Callanetcs, but much faster paced and the DVDs are modern and chaptered.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Callanetics 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours - Amazon.com Exclusive

CALLANETICS BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS - Low Carb Friends
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    Hi wavie! What you're describing sounds healthy. Eating well without "dieting" and doing cardio. Keep up the good work. :thumbleft:
    Now, what I am concerned about is your emphasis on loosing that 1/2 inch. Why is this important to you? As long as you are strong and healthy, you should be happy! My only advice would be to stop caring about the numbers. Put the measuring tape down. Seriously... That kind of obsession usually is just depressing and can be counter productive. What you're doing is great, but if you are constantly worried about the number, you might get discouraged and become unhealthy.
    I can't tell you what "is" or "is not" possible for your body, but I can tell you that I think you have no reason to worry about 1/2 of an inch.
  • waviewavie Registered Users Posts: 237
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone :)

Well, I know. I'm not really obssesed with numbers or anything, and I know I'm working out more for the health aspect than the appearance aspect.

It's just been something I've gotten really annoyed of, I guess.
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    wavie wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone :)

Well, I know. I'm not really obssesed with numbers or anything, and I know I'm working out more for the health aspect than the appearance aspect.

It's just been something I've gotten really annoyed of, I guess.

Ohh, all right. I'm sorry for assuming then. :) It just sounded odd to me the way I read it.
    It's ok :laughing8:

I know what you mean though. I know tons of people that work out just to make themselves look better, and it just doesn't work. In fact, I think I'm going to stop worrying about the gut. If it goes, it goes. If not, well, at least my heart's healthy.

Thanks for your concern though.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    weight loss, gain and maintenance is 75% diet 25% exercise, check your diet and see if there's something you can change. You'd be surprised at what just one small change can do. My sister cut out all soda from her diet and has lost 15lbs without increasing her exercise at all.
    I started eating sweets only on weekends and portioning my snacks and lost 20lbs, and have kept it off.
    Focus on healthy lifestyle changes and the weight loss/maintenance sort of just comes hand in hand
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • nanachannanachan Registered Users Posts: 110
    for a long time, i've had a small gut. my extended family isn't too keen on keeping in shape, so my family struggles with what they grew up with and how they're trying to change that. so the fact that your watching what your eating is a huge step forward. its important to remember that sweets once in a while arent terrible, its about small quantities and listening to what your body needs.

the second part is finding a routine that you really enjoy. all my life ive done really intense forms of working-out... i've done volleyball, tae won do (sp lol), judo, running, cardio, and now im doing yoga (forrest and acrobatic yoga) out of all the things i tried, yoga (acro mostly) is the one work out i truly and 100% enjoy going to. lol its fun for me and i go about 5 days a week and anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours of yoga. i've seen a HUGE difference in my body and the way it feels and looks. also, ive realized that the small belly is a part of me that probably wont go away, but being around some of my yoga teachers, i realize that healthy beautiful bodies come in different sizes.

i know this was a lot lol so basically good luck, i hope you dont get too hard on yourself!!

ps! i keep a postcard of bottecelli's "Birth of Venus" ( http://www.opendemocracy.net/content/articles/2109/images/Birth%20of%20Venus_crop%202.jpg ) for me, its what a naturally beautiful body looks like, and i keep it there for a reminder. all those magazines can get to a girl! good luck :]
    my hair loves::love7:
    KCKT
    CURLS goddess curls[/COLOR]
    Trader Joe's Tea tree conditioner

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ajnaajna Registered Users Posts: 494
    The abs are a pain it seems like the first place that you gain weight and the last place to loose it. It is my struggle as well and I am proud to say that I have kept it off even after I had a kid.

My advice is change your exercise routine so your body does not become accustomed. Like a step aerobic class, it makes a huge difference. You should incorporate some weight lifting to develop the muscle in your back in abs while you are burning fat.

As for diet I do not know what to say about that I subscribe to the plan that I eat what I want because I cook my own food 95% of the time and I do not eat processed nor refined foods.

Good luck!
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    I'm sure someone else has already pointed this out, but just in case...you cannot spot reduce, but you will lose your "gut" as you lose fat overall. I struggle with it, too, especially now that I'm in my mid-40s. But, for me, it's internal fat now because I had a tummy tuck in 2001, but my body still wants to put the fat in the middle. So, since it can't really put it on the outside anymore, it puts it on the inside. Even looking back at childhood pics, I was always that little pot-bellied kid, so I feel your pain. I never had a waistline in my life until after my tummy tuck, and then a later additional body sculpting liposuction around the midsection. Even now, whenever I gain weight, the first place I see it is in my midsection. Thank hormones--they direct where and how your fat is stored. And the first place you gain it is the last place you lose it.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • curlytorriecurlytorrie Registered Users Posts: 9
    Have you incorporated any weights into your work out routine? Cardio is great; but cardio alone [for me anyway] doesn't do anything for my abs.
  • ri14verri14ver Registered Users Posts: 8
    Yes it's possible, don't worry.
    Even seen the show "Survivor"?
    You never seen someone there who doesn't lose her/his belly fat.

It's all about burning fat and creating a caloric deficit.
    You should also get enough protein and lift weights to maintain your muscles.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I always had a small pooch even when I was under weight during high school. Part of it sometimes I think is posture. I know mine is. You might try cutting carbs? or bad carbs such as white bread, potatoes etc. Or like somebody else said...some drinks such as diet cokes...tend to bloat you because of the sweetners they use.

Exercise such as pilates or weights will help as well. You'd be surprised how much working your back muscles will help strenthen your stomach muscles.

Good Luck but don't obsess about it. :)
    inhertidcurls, I think I'm a lot like you. I've been working out and watching what I eat since December - I run about 20 miles a week and have not eaten anything sugary, salty, fried, or any processed grains since then. And I've lost a whole bunch of weight, in fact I'm pretty underweight (I'm trying to gain it back by working on my muscles, now).

The pooch has gotten noticeably smaller, yet in the end, it still sticks out. I've lost inches everywhere including my stomach, but in proportion it's just bigger than everything else around it. I've decided not to sweat the small stuff (no pun intended :glasses8:) and just keep working out and eating right, and hopefully gain back the weight with muscle mass.

Thanks everyone for the advice, by the way.
  • Fluffy01Fluffy01 Registered Users Posts: 271
    You will lose the pooch if you get your body to start burning fat instead of carbs. Your body burns carbs before it burns fat if they are in your system. So it never gets around to burning up that pooch if all you eat is carbs, which I'm guessing you do because you said you don't eat meat. You really need to make meat the biggest staple in your diet if you want to lose the pooch and see those abs. It's very important to your body to eat meat in general for health, but it will help you shed that last bit of fat in a couple of months rather than a year. You can still have veggies as a side dish, but no grains at all and limited sugar unless it's a piece of fruit once a day until you meat your goal. Fat is also good to help your body convert to fat burning, but make sure it's unrefined like butter/olive oil/bacon grease/coconut oil. Stay away from processed fat like canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil.

If you want more info on how your body can be a fat burning machine, you can watch the movie Fathead or read Mark's blog at marksdailyapple.com or Robb's at robbwolf.com

There's also a Primal Blueprint book and cookbook you might be able to get from your library.

Best of luck to you! Hope this helps, and you're finally able to lose that gut! :hello2:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file