A few problems...

Kadi183Kadi183 Posts: 67Registered Users
Hi :)
So since last spring I've been on and off the CG method, cause I couldn't figure out a nice routine etc. And during all that time I came across a few problems, and I'm getting kind of fed up with those...
I tried a several times to only use co-washing, and after 3 or 4 days my hair became incredibly greasy and oily and smelled really gross. There was nothing I could do than brushing it back with gel into a really tight bun or braid. But since you could still see the bad situation of my hair and since I have to go to school everyday, I gave up because my hair just didn't want to adjust and I started feeling really disgusted. At that time, I tried CG for almost 2 weeks.
And now I've got some questions regarding co-washing. I know you have to scrub really hard, and I'm trying. But also, do you have to use quite a lot of conditioner and put it especially on your scalp? And also, do you have to let it sit for some time, like 5 minutes or so?
Ok, so over the summer I co-washed mostly and once or twice in a week used a sulfate-shampoo, because for some reason I always felt as if my hair wouldn't get clean enough. Also, I swim a lot and I read that the conditioner alone isn't able to get rid of the chlorine build-up. I got some ok results with it. Then I switched the sulfate-shampoo to a sulfate-free shampoo and also used this once or twice a week, but for a few weeks, I don't like the way that shampoo leaves my hair and I feel like it isn't cleansing enough aswell. When I tried co-washing only occasionally, my hair turned out quite nice, so I think a no-shampoo routine would be good for my hair, it's just that I always have the feeling of being "dirty", and often times my hair unmistakably is greasy.

For information, I have 3a/b curls that are almost bra-straplength when straight, rather thin and rather porous.
So I wondered if any of you have some tips/advice for me, since I really want to try and kind of always get thrown a step behind.
Also, for washing by itself, I always felt that it was hard actually reaching my scalp with the shampoo, I'm not sure why, but maybe I have a lot of thin hair and it gets really tangled, so I can't seem to work my fingers through it. Maybe would it be better if I wash my hair upside down, since I always have this one spot in the back on top that seems to be greasy whatever I do.
Sorry these many questions, I'm becoming a little frustated :/
German Curlie :)
2c/3a/3b, fine-medium, high porosity

Still figuring out what my hair wants! :P
Loved yarn braids!!! :love7:

Mod-CG due to my fine hair and lots of time in a chlorinated pool.

No silicones!
Recently using:
Washing: Schauma Push-Up Volumen Shampoo, Hercut Shampoo for curls
Conditioning: Garnier Fructis Volume, Garnier Arganoil Conditioner
Styling: Loreal FX Gel, Nivea Flexible Curls Mousse

<3 Music <3

Comments

• nanachannanachan Posts: 110Registered Users
    i'm keeping my eye on this post, i totally need these answers too. :sad5:
    my hair loves::love7:
    KCKT
    CURLS goddess curls[/COLOR]
    Trader Joe's Tea tree conditioner

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kadi183Kadi183 Posts: 67Registered Users
    Haha that's great at least I'm not the only one who can't get it totally right ;)

No silicones!
    Recently using:

<3 Music <3
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Kadi183 wrote: »
    Hi :)
    So since last spring I've been on and off the CG method, cause I couldn't figure out a nice routine etc. And during all that time I came across a few problems, and I'm getting kind of fed up with those...
    I tried a several times to only use co-washing, and after 3 or 4 days my hair became incredibly greasy and oily and smelled really gross. There was nothing I could do than brushing it back with gel into a really tight bun or braid. But since you could still see the bad situation of my hair and since I have to go to school everyday, I gave up because my hair just didn't want to adjust and I started feeling really disgusted. At that time, I tried CG for almost 2 weeks.
    And now I've got some questions regarding co-washing. I know you have to scrub really hard, and I'm trying. But also, do you have to use quite a lot of conditioner and put it especially on your scalp? And also, do you have to let it sit for some time, like 5 minutes or so?
    Ok, so over the summer I co-washed mostly and once or twice in a week used a sulfate-shampoo, because for some reason I always felt as if my hair wouldn't get clean enough. Also, I swim a lot and I read that the conditioner alone isn't able to get rid of the chlorine build-up. I got some ok results with it. Then I switched the sulfate-shampoo to a sulfate-free shampoo and also used this once or twice a week, but for a few weeks, I don't like the way that shampoo leaves my hair and I feel like it isn't cleansing enough aswell. When I tried co-washing only occasionally, my hair turned out quite nice, so I think a no-shampoo routine would be good for my hair, it's just that I always have the feeling of being "dirty", and often times my hair unmistakably is greasy.

For information, I have 3a/b curls that are almost bra-straplength when straight, rather thin and rather porous.
    So I wondered if any of you have some tips/advice for me, since I really want to try and kind of always get thrown a step behind.
    Also, for washing by itself, I always felt that it was hard actually reaching my scalp with the shampoo, I'm not sure why, but maybe I have a lot of thin hair and it gets really tangled, so I can't seem to work my fingers through it. Maybe would it be better if I wash my hair upside down, since I always have this one spot in the back on top that seems to be greasy whatever I do.
    Sorry these many questions, I'm becoming a little frustated :/

The more you scrub, the better. The only things that are cleaning your hair when you CO-wash are the gentle surfacents in the condish and the manual friction you're using to scrub.

Just scrub your scalp. You mainly need to get your scalp and roots clean, since that's where all the oil and dirt builds up. Just rinsing your hair gets the length of it clean.

In your case, I wouldn't let the CO-wash condish sit on your hair after you wash it. The longer you leave it on, the more moisture it gives, and it doesn't sound like your hair needs more hydration than the CO-washing alone is giving it. I'd just rinse it out right away. Make sure you rinse it really well, though. Leaving some condish on your scalp will just make it extra greasy, so it's just as important to rinse well as it is to scrub well.

I hear you with the "greasy part in the back on top." I'm new to CO-washing, too, and I'm experiencing the same thing. It has really helped me to make sure I not only rinse the roots well, but rinse the condish out of my hair, or else it builds up on that one spot back there. I have a habit of rinsing my roots and scalp well, and forgetting about the first 1-2 inches of hair that is also coated with condish. Try focusing on that spot when you rinse, and see if that helps.

Hope this is clear, and I hope I helped you. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thanks a lot wavynwild! I will definitely give it another try, and really scrub on my scalp.
    Does it matter what kind of conditioner you use? I read it's better to use a thinner/lighter kind for co-washing, so I wondered if it could help to dilute the one I have (medium thick, I guess).
    So, since you're also new to the routine, how long did transitioning last for you/when did your hair stop looking really greasy/oily (looking in a way that you would want to leave the house with ;)) ...if your hair ever looked that greasy at all ;)

No silicones!
    Recently using:

<3 Music <3
    Kadi183 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot wavynwild! I will definitely give it another try, and really scrub on my scalp.
    Does it matter what kind of conditioner you use? I read it's better to use a thinner/lighter kind for co-washing, so I wondered if it could help to dilute the one I have (medium thick, I guess).
    So, since you're also new to the routine, how long did transitioning last for you/when did your hair stop looking really greasy/oily (looking in a way that you would want to leave the house with ;)) ...if your hair ever looked that greasy at all ;)

Yes, it definitely matters what kind of condish you use. It has to be silicone free. 'Cones build up on hair over time, causing dull, dry, greasy, frizzy hair, and they can only be removed by sulfates. So, needless to say, they don't mix well with a CO-washing routine! 'Cones end in -cone, -conol, or -xane. I'm not sure what kind of products you have in Germany (I'm pretty sure that's where you live?), but the VO5 and Suave Naturals lines are popular on this site. I use VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying condish to CO-wash with, and I like it. It is definitely better to use a thinner or lighter condish for CO-washing. The lighter you can get it, the better! If you look for conditioners with "clarifying" on the label, these are usually the lightest and have the most surfacents (cleansers) in them. I'd definitely get a lighter conditioner when you run out of this one. But for now, you can dilute it in some water like you said, or clarify with a vinegar rinse (1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water) if you want to deep cleanse your hair. The vinegar rinses work wonders on my hair, and they are an all-natural way to clarify.

To answer your question about transitioning, my hair is still greasy! I'm going to clarify with a little bit of sulfate shampoo and start over again on a clean slate, actually. I'm thinking it will be better the second time around, and I think starting over will be better. I find that my hair gets greasiest on the first day I CO-wash -- second day hair is always less greasy. So (I know this is easier said than done!) I'd try going as long as you possibly can between washes. I think it will help your hair transition faster. My hair actually was really greasy at first because there was a hidden 'cone in my final sulfate wash. I clarified with a baking soda scrub and vinegar rinse, and the problem started clearing up. But some of the grease came back. It's not terrible, but it's bugging me. That's why I'm gonna start fresh. Also, if straight CO-washing doesn't work for you, you might consider getting a low-poo and going modified CG.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes! :iconbiggrin:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Thanks, I knew about the cones, but anyways I double-checked the labels of all the leave-in products I use like gels and mousses to make sure it wasn't silicone-build-up, but I couldn't find any.
    So I actually clarified with a sulfate-shampoo too and then just used the products I normally use. My hair turned out quite nice, it still feels a little fluffy/fly-away like though.
    Haha yes, I live in Germany and I find it a little hard to find good products. We don't have the suave and vo5 line, that a lot of you seem to use, but I just recently discovered a similar drugstore brand that has conditioners without cones. Thanks for the tip looking for an actual clarifying conditioner, I will check that out ;)

No silicones!
    Recently using:

<3 Music <3
    Your welcome! I actually did a sulfate wash today, too, and CO-washed afterward. Besides feeling a little stripped, my hair feels amazing, but it's mostly straight because I switched up my routine and it didn't go so well. ;)

Hope the whole CG thing starts going better for you! Report back soon with some more results. :)

Favorite...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file