Kindle Owners!

WileE-DeadWileE-Dead BannedPosts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
Tell me your best recs for free books!
Santa brought me my Kindle today!
ty!
Merry X-mas & Happy Holidays y'all! :blob4:
0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Comments

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    This blog is updated daily with links to free books from Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc. I visit it several times a day, and it's an excellent resource. For free books that are in public domain, a good place is Manybooks.net. Also, the MobileRead forum has an extensive collection of free, public-domain ebooks. Hope that helps. :)
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    ty! :toothy4:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wile, it seems Santa shopped for us at the same time because I got a Kindle too! I didn't even ask for it or anything...now I have to figure out how to work it. :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I got a nook! So I will be visiting these sites...and figuring out how to use the thing
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I believe when you go to the Kindle store via your Kindle you can search for free books.

My daughter got me an Amazon Gift card-cannot wait to go book shopping to load up my Kindle with more books!:toothy4:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    We got my mum a Kindle for Christmas. She wasn't impressed :(
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kat180 wrote: »

Awww - that is too bad!!:sad5:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got one ,too!
    I am having fun with it!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    What are some of y'all's fave free books?
    Glad everyone is enjoying their Kindle! :blob4:
    0004.gif

xcptnl wrote: »

Awww - that is too bad!!:sad5:

I think she needs to just get used to it. At the moment she can't see the point of it and she is moaning she doesn't know how to work it (even though its very basic) but she can get a bit like that with things in general.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    JLeighs wrote: »
    This blog is updated daily with links to free books from Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc. I visit it several times a day, and it's an excellent resource. For free books that are in public domain, a good place is Manybooks.net. Also, the MobileRead forum has an extensive collection of free, public-domain ebooks. Hope that helps. :)

I second everything posted! My kindle is full of stuff from these places. Also, don't forget project gutenburg for free public domain books. I also read library books on my kindle. PM me and i'll send you the directions on how to upload them.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I got this, as well...
    !B-rnQjQ!mk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEy1t9tWyLBM9(bSv9Kw~~0_1.JPG
    0004.gif

^ Is that the one from Amazon with the light?

How is the light? It looks pretty flimsy on the website
    kat...I got it off ebay.
    Here is another view...
    pamakidllc03_2_it.jpg
    0004.gif

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users

I have the one with the light. I honestly don't know how you use the Kindle without it! Of course, I didn't realize that DH paid $60 for that case.

To be honest, I've had my kindle since Sept and never really used it. I don't buy books generally - I get them from the library. And my preference is for Canadian books (authors that get talked about on CBC) and foreign reads and not necessarily things that I want to buy and read again. I can't find most of what I'm looking for on Amazon. Plus, I only read at home and in bed.

BUT, this week we've been on holidays and I am definitely loving my Kindle! I downloaded the biggest books that I was interested in reading (Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, each one is 1000 pages and less than $10 for the kindle books). I've been reading poolside and pretty much everywhere I can. The kindle has been worth its weight in gold.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,765Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I got my daughter the Kindle 3G for Xmas. It wasn't on her wish list, but I know she loves to read and is in a book club. She loves it and screamed when she saw it. I guess I did good this year.:wink:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    I got a Nook, and finally figured out how to get it all set up[!! Anyone wanna start lending books to each other? :happy7:
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    Here's a great site that notifies you via email when a new FREE book is available. You can also ask them to notify you when a book drops in price.

Ereaderiq.com

One thing I've learned w/ the free books: grab them while their hot.. because many times they're gone the next day.

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users

I wouldn't be, either. What is wrong with books? It's not like I don't stare at a computer screen enough at work. People in the U.S. have no job security if they even have a job, yet shell out money for foreign produced products with foreign technology and wonder why the west is in the state it is in. Sorry, but I'm sick of hearing about IPADS and Kindles. Why would anyone shell out $$$ for something that will be old hat and replaced by the "latest item" next year? I don't know how anyone can deal with those tiny screens, either. Hair color causes cancer but staring at mini computer screens all day must be great for your health!
    Here's a great site that notifies you via email when a new FREE book is available. You can also ask them to notify you when a book drops in price.

Ereaderiq.com

One thing I've learned w/ the free books: grab them while their hot.. because many times they're gone the next day.
    ty! I just got a bunch more thrillers :toothy7:
    0004.gif

• RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users

I got the one with the light. The light is pretty sturdy, as is the case. I really like it. Worth the money, in my opinion.
    AllyT wrote: »

I wouldn't be, either. What is wrong with books? It's not like I don't stare at a computer screen enough at work. People in the U.S. have no job security if they even have a job, yet shell out money for foreign produced products with foreign technology and wonder why the west is in the state it is in. Sorry, but I'm sick of hearing about IPADS and Kindles. Why would anyone shell out $$$ for something that will be old hat and replaced by the "latest item" next year? I don't know how anyone can deal with those tiny screens, either. Hair color causes cancer but staring at mini computer screens all day must be great for your health!

Ummm ok.

The Kindle screen isn't anything like a computer screen. Its electronic ink, so it looks like the page of a book- no back lighting as that is bad for your eyes. The text can be as large (or small) as you want.

Im not in the US but blaming the state of the economy (which I assume is what you mean) on Kindles and technology seems a bit...well ridiculous. Technology is always advancing, it often crosses over into all sorts of areas and provides a great many jobs too. I don't think anything is ever that simple. Nor do I believe in telling people what they should and shouldn't spend their earned money on. Im sure you (as have we all) spent money on something someone else considers a waste. There are pros and cons for both electronic books and traditional paper books. I happen to love traditional books but I could see myself using a kindle when away.

Im not sure what hair colour has to do with anything.

Anyway....update :) Mum's started using it and is growing to like it :) She's getting the case with a light for her birthday next month and I'll be sure to tag all these helpful sites for free books for her. There wasn't many on Amazon apart from classics (unless Im looking in the wrong place).
    kat, what does your mom like?
    Great that she's coming around!
    I think she will grow to like it.
    I love thrillers & have found a good amt from the wonderful recs everyone has given me.... :notworthy:
    Go back through my thread...great w/s listed.
    0004.gif

^ She loves things like Miss Marple, Poirot. Strange old lades solving murders in sleeping villages lol. She mainly reads crime thrillers, she used to read a lot of Patricia Cornwall although she has been less enthusiastic about her last few books. She also gets a lot of contemporary chick flick novels from the library (you know the ones where the covers all look the same and the authors are all different but seem to write very similar stories lol).

Everyone has wanted to have a look at her Kindle and now want one lol. I think they are more than just a one year *fad*. My Aunt has a Sony reader which she hates, says its awful to read off, but after playing around with mums Kindle she is going to replace it with that, so there must be something to it :)
    Um, I never blamed the state of the U.S. economy on outside technology, and far be it for me to tell you what to spend money on (eyeroll). Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I think it's very symbolic of where our world is headed, the obsession with having the latest and greatest, sending the profits elsewhere, while the U.S. is in the deepest recession since the Depression. So many Americans and other westerners (particularly England, where I know Kat resides) protest immigration from the east, but who is going to take the medical and engineering jobs? In America, anyway, white people especially, who used to go for advanced degrees, seem to be more interested in drinking, pot smoking and crime than going to college any more. They still somehow have money for Kindles and Ipods. It's just ironic to me the same people protesting immigration from eastern nations love to pour money into them.
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    AllyT wrote: »
    Um, I never blamed the state of the U.S. economy on outside technology, and far be it for me to tell you what to spend money on (eyeroll). Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I think it's very symbolic of where our world is headed, the obsession with having the latest and greatest, sending the profits elsewhere, while the U.S. is in the deepest recession since the Depression. So many Americans and other westerners (particularly England, where I know Kat resides) protest immigration from the east, but who is going to take the medical and engineering jobs? In America, anyway, white people especially, who used to go for advanced degrees, seem to be more interested in drinking, pot smoking and crime than going to college any more. They still somehow have money for Kindles and Ipods. It's just ironic to me the same people protesting immigration from eastern nations love to pour money into them.

Have you thread crapped in all the threads that don't live up to your expectations or just this one?

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It seems pretty odd to come into a chatty thread about who is happy with their Christmas present and where to get great free books, with what reads like an angry and somewhat patronizing post against Kindles and the people who buy them/own them and other random issues.

I could have taken your post personally (my father and I spent a lot of time carefully choosing a Kindle as a special gift for my mother) but I didn't. I merely tried to address some of the issues you brought up in your post as they seemed to me.

I just don't know who it is you are angry at, or what exactly for.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Kat - I'm not sure if you run into this problem in the UK, but in Canada, our Kindle store selection is quite poor compared to the US. So I have my Amazon account set to "US resident". In my case it is quasi-legitimate, since I used to live in the US so I just used my old address, but if you can borrow (or make up) someone's address in the US, check out the selection on the Kindle US site. There are more free books there at the very least.
    ^ I may try that. There are only 50 or so free books and they are all old classics, which is great, but not anything my mum is interested in reading at all.
    You stated that your mom wasn't happy with her gift, and I said that I wouldn't be, either, and why. I wasn't rude to you or anyone so I don't know why you are taking it so personally.

This is a message board. When I see topics that interest me in a good way OR bad way, I post on them. That's how it works.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file