We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Pixie cut??

hairlikethewaterhairlikethewater Posts: 15Registered Users
i know that pixie cuts can straighten hair a bit just when its too short to really curl...that's kinda what i'm going for. does anyone know how it will work out?
note: i was never intending for wash&go hair, so if combing, styling, pinning, etc. are what it takes to avoid a puffball, i'm willing!
my sister and mother try to help, they just don't know what to expect.
tips, comments, SUPPORT?

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    - i had a super short haircut when i 1st BC'ed. my hair was about an inch, maybe 2 inches long but that was still long enough for it to curl. so for me, i'd literally have to shave my hair bi weekly for it to curl.

- hair that short was super easy for me to maintain and style. i have wash n go hair now, but i had to do even less when it was super short. i didn't have to comb it because it never got tangled. i would just rub some conditioner on it and that was it.

- with many/most curlies the shorter the hair, the more it curls rather than straightening out.

- what's "wrong" with your hair now? it sounds like you are wanting to cut your hair in order to control it rather than just for a style change. do you have any pics of your hair?
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Well I've had a "pixie cut".. I guess that's what you call it when your hair is 1/2 an inch long? But my hair still curled, so if your hair is really curly it will curl even when it's very short, unless you go for a total baldy.

What is it that you're trying to do with your hair? Pinning, combing, and styling are mostly unneccessary when your hair is pixie short because that's the only style you'll have. You can dress up a pixie cut with clips or head bands though.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with bekka and sub; it all depends on your hair type. Also, if your neck gets cold easily, you may want to wait (if you're in a cold climate).
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    i know that pixie cuts can straighten hair a bit just when its too short to really curl...that's kinda what i'm going for. does anyone know how it will work out?
    note: i was never intending for wash&go hair, so if combing, styling, pinning, etc. are what it takes to avoid a puffball, i'm willing!
    tips, comments, SUPPORT?

I've had a pixie cut for about 15 years. And I agree, the curl remains the same. It's just that you have the option to comb your hair (which I do while it's short-short) so it tends to look straighter. See my pic below - my hair is wavy. But in the fotki (2 side pics) I was letting it grow out (before I cut it again a few months ago) and it curls when I don't comb. I stop combing it when it gets to 2 inches or so and just let the curl have its way. :-)
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pixie cuts. But it's time for me to move on and enjoy my curls then back to the pixie cut when I'm waaay older. My faves are pixie cuts and long-long hair. Hate the middles.
    I recommend the pixie - but keep in mind that it will be a PAIN to grow out.

comic-p.jpg
  • curlynajicurlynaji Posts: 6Registered Users
    Curlcraze4 wrote: »
    tips, comments, SUPPORT?

I've had a pixie cut for about 15 years. And I agree, the curl remains the same. It's just that you have the option to comb your hair (which I do while it's short-short) so it tends to look straighter. See my pic below - my hair is wavy. But in the fotki (2 side pics) I was letting it grow out (before I cut it again a few months ago) and it curls when I don't comb. I stop combing it when it gets to 2 inches or so and just let the curl have its way. :-)
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pixie cuts. But it's time for me to move on and enjoy my curls then back to the pixie cut when I'm waaay older. My faves are pixie cuts and long-long hair. Hate the middles.

comic-p.jpg
    Did you ever have very long hair? Did/does your hair tend to frizz at all?
    I'm considering getting a cut similar to yours, and your sig pic (the wavy one) looks absolutely gorgeous...
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    curlynaji wrote: »
    tips, comments, SUPPORT?

comic-p.jpg
    I'm considering getting a cut similar to yours, and your sig pic (the wavy one) looks absolutely gorgeous...

Thanks for the compliment. :-)
    Yes, my hair ABSOLUTELY can frizz if I do not moistuze it well. But it is quite simple to care for, I admit. Especially when it's short. I think it tends to frizz less because my hair is thick, not fine. Fine hair is more prone to frizz and shrinkage. But my hair is coarse to a degree and porous, so it does dry if not cared for correctly. If you really desire it, then go for it. I have really enjoyed the pixie. IT is easy breezy beautiful. But again, the growing out is torture. For me, in any case. Although I have vowed to enjoy every stage of the growing out process going foward. Dont' want to become obssesive and then end up cutting again.
    By the way, I get my hair cut by a barber and always have. No expensive salons for me. Barbers are more accurate too, I find. But it doesn't work for everyone.
    Good luck!! :-)
  • curlynajicurlynaji Posts: 6Registered Users
    curlynaji wrote: »

comic-p.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. :-)
    Yes, my hair ABSOLUTELY can frizz if I do not moistuze it well. But it is quite simple to care for, I admit. Especially when it's short. I think it tends to frizz less because my hair is thick, not fine. Fine hair is more prone to frizz and shrinkage. But my hair is coarse to a degree and porous, so it does dry if not cared for correctly. If you really desire it, then go for it. I have really enjoyed the pixie. IT is easy breezy beautiful. But again, the growing out is torture. For me, in any case. Although I have vowed to enjoy every stage of the growing out process going foward. Dont' want to become obssesive and then end up cutting again.
    By the way, I get my hair cut by a barber and always have. No expensive salons for me. Barbers are more accurate too, I find. But it doesn't work for everyone.
    Good luck!! :-)
    Wonderful! Thank you so much for the reply! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file